Skip to main content


22:00 22nd September 2015

Teesside Torment

Middlesbrough 3 (Adomah 37, 64, Fabbrini 57)

Wolves 0

Wolves are out of the Carling One Cup after a disappointing night on Teesside when they had no answer to an in form Middlesbrough side that hit three goals without reply.

Kenny Jackett made wholesale changes for the game with just Dominic Iorfa and Ethan Ebanks-Landell retaining their places from the Brighton League game three days earlier.

The Riverside Stadium was sparsely populated with the hardy supporters that had made the trip up from Wolverhampton situated in one of the corners of ground.

Wolves kicked-off and they won an early corner taken by Jed Wallace and headed clear from a crowded six-yard box.

Captain for the night, Carl Ikeme, fielded a deep cross from Albert Adomah, and the ball ran away from Kevin McDonald as he chased down a through pass from George Saville in an otherwise quiet opening ten minutes.

There was half a chance for Rajiv van La Parra as he broke into the home area but his attempted square ball struck a defender and keeper Tomas Mejias had little trouble in claiming.

Grant Leadbitter’s late challenge on McDonald wide on the left led to a free-kick that Wallace curled, at pace, into the area with George Friend happy to head behind for the first of two consecutive Wallace corners that came to nothing.

Ikeme did well to cling on to a fierce cross-shot from Kike and then, from a Leadbitter corner, the ball bounced off Matt Doherty and inches wide of the post. The home crowd were none too pleased with the referee’s decision to award a goalkick. 

One time Molineux defender Friend was booked following a heavy challenge on Saville whose free-kick was cleared.

Boro took the lead in the 37th minute. Carlos De Pena crossed from the left and Ebanks-Landell stumbled as he attempted to clear with the ball rolling to Adomah who had time to turn and shoot into the corner of the net from the edge of the six-yard box.

Half-Time: Boro 1 Wolves 0

A home corner five minutes after the break, taken by Emilio Nsue, was headed back into the danger area by Friend and Doherty had to hurriedly step in and concede a corner to clear the threat.

But two goals in a seven minute spell killed off any hope Wolves had of progressing in the competition.

The first came in the in the 57th minute when Adomah fired in a low cross that ran invitingly in front of Diego Fabbrini who lashed the ball past Ikeme from ten-yards out.

Then Adomah struck again hitting an angled drive from the corner of the six-yard box after De Pena had created the opening.

In between the goals Wolves made a double change with Benik Afobe and Adam Le Fondre taking the places of Bright Enobakhare and van Le Parra.

Mejias got down to save a long range shot from McDonald before Boro almost grabbed a fourth when Adomah broke down the right and fed the unmarked Kike whose chip over Ikeme grazed the side netting.

Fabbrini went close to a fourth Boro goal in the 87th minute with a rising drive that smacked against the bar before Afobe was too high with an overhead kick at the other end.

But this was not a game that will live long in the memory of Wolves supporters.

Boro: Mejias, Friend (Stephens 74), Amorebieta, Leadbitter (capt) (Clayton 67), Kike, De Pena (Reach 79), Nsue, Kalas, Adomah, Fabbrini, Forshaw.

Unused subs: Agazzi, Gibson, Downing, Nugent.

Booking: Friend (30 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme (capt), Doherty, Deslandes, McDonald, Ebanks-Landell, Iorfa, van Le Parra (Le Fondre 60), Price, Enobakhare (Afobe 60), Wallace, Saville (Henry 81).

Unused subs: Martinez, Golbourne, Rowe, Ojo.

Referee: K. Wright.

Attendance: 13,368 (312 away supporters).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.