Skip to main content


16:30 16th August 2015

REPORT | Entertaining Draw

Wolves 1 (Henry 58)

Hull City 1 (Jelavic-pen 22)

A highly entertaining Championship clash between Wolves and Hull finished all square although Kenny Jackett’s men will be rueing a catalogue of missed chances against one of the strongest teams in the division.

The game began in sensational fashion with Wanderers having two glorious opportunities in the first minute. Kicking-off attacking the North Bank end the first chance fell to Benik Afobe who ran onto Sam Clucas’s’s poor back pass. Keeper Allan McGregor got something on the ball which allowed Curtis Davies to get back to clear from in front of the line.

Scott Golbourne’s corner was only half cleared and when Ahmed Elmohamady’s clearance bounced off Golbourne the ball ran to Nouha Dicko at the near post and his close range shot on the turn flew over the bar.

Wolves continued to dominate the early stages with crosses from James Henry and Golbourne being cleared by a nervous looking City defence.

Moses Odubajo was booked after clattering into Dicko before Hull’s first attempt at goal arrived in the 16th minute with Clucas dragging a low angled shot well wide.

Against the run of play Hull took a 22nd minute lead with a penalty. From Tom Huddlestone’s corner, Kortney Hause was deemed to have pushed Davies in the back. Nikica Jelavic shot straight down the middle from the spot as Emi Martinez dived to his left.

Conor Coady tested McGregor with a stinging long range effort that was turned around the post and then Dave Edwards just failed to reach Dicko’s head back across goal following a Henry cross.

Coady tried his luck again and this time his drive skimmed off a defender’s head for a corner that came to nothing.

There was a moment of danger three minutes before the break when Chuba Akpom broke into the left of the home area but his cross-shot was superbly held by Martinez.

A low centre from Golbourne just needed a touch before it drifted inches wide of the far post and then, in stoppage time, Jelavic blasted wide after Elmohamady had pulled the ball back into his path.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Hull 1

Two minutes into the new half, Henry took a swing at the ball but succeeded only in lifting it over the bar and then he had a shot that struck Davies in the chest with the referee, quite correctly, waving aside penalty appeals for hands.

Golbourne’s sent in a low corner that Afobe made a sweet contact with but with the crowd getting ready to celebrate, a defender booted clear from inside a crowded six-yard box. 

A mistake by McGregor gifted Wolves a 58th minute equaliser. The keeper looked to have Dicko’s cross under control but he lost the ball allowing Henry to stoop and head it into an empty net from just a couple of yards out (pictured).

McGregor’s nerves were tested three minutes later as he caught a looping header from Edwards right underneath the crossbar.

Akpom was fouled by Hause just outside the home area with Huddlestone lifting the resulting free-kick over the wall and also the bar.  

Edwards just failed to get a foot to Dominic Iorfa’s low cross and, at the other end, Martinez saved well from Hull substitute David Meyler.

Midway through the half, McGregor saved from Dicko at the near post and then the striker flicked a header wide after a short cross from Afobe.

Akpom was inches away from restoring the visitors lead in the 72nd minute. Jelovic cleverly beat his marker on the by-line and pulled the ball back for Akpom who fired against the foot of the post.

Then it took a great tackle from Kevin McDonald to thwart Meyler who would otherwise have had a clear sight of goal.

Hull had started to look the stronger side in the closing stages and twice Martinez had to save from Akpom with a Huddlestone free-kick dipping just over in between.

Wolves: Martinez, Golbourne, Iorfa, Edwards, Stearman, Hause, Henry (Ojo 74), Coady, Afobe, Dicko (Le Fondre 90+1), McDonald.

Unused subs: Ikeme, Doherty, van La Parra, Price, Ebanks-Landell.

Hull: Day, McGregor, Odubajo, Davies, Huddlestone, Clucas (Jahraldo-Martin 83), Jelavic, Akpom, Hayden (Meyler 56), Dawson (capt), Robertson, Elmohamady (Aluko 74).

Unused subs: Jakupovic, Taylor, Maguire, Luer,.

Booking: Odubayo (13 – foul).

Referee: A. Marriner.

Attendance: 20,062.

Wolves Under 18s 0 Manchester City 1


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.