Skip to main content


15:15 23rd January 2016

A Point After Early Setback

Queens Park Rangers 1 (Polter 2)

Wolves 1 (Henry 48)

Wolves recovered after conceding an early goal to hit back and take a point from an entertaining contest with Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road. 

The home side almost snatched a win just before the end when Tjaronn Chery struck the post but, had the ball gone in, it would have been rough justice on the visitors.

Kenny Jackett made two enforced changes to his team with James Henry and Adam Le Fondre replacing the injured Jordan Graham and Michal Zyro.

The Rs kicked-off defending the school end of the ground that housed around 1,300 travelling fans in the upper tier.

But it was the home support that were celebrating inside two minutes after Matt Phillips had floated a free-kick into the area and Sebastian Polter had powered a header into the corner of the net.

After that early setback, play was fairly even in the opening stages with neither keeper having much to cause them concern. 

In the 15th minute Rajiv van La Parra beat Paul Konchesky on the right and cut into the area before unleashing a low cross that Nedum Onuoha cleared from the heart of a congested six-yard box.

Former Molineux stalwart Karl Henry fouled Dominic Iorfa wide on the right but van La Parra’s free-kick was headed clear and then a well-timed James Perch tackle robbed Henry of possession as he was about to run into the home area after taking a through pass from Le Fondre.

After 26 minutes Dave Edwards was penalised for hands some 22-yards out from Carl Ikeme’s goal and in a central position. Junior Hoilett tapped the ball to Phillips who fired around a foot wide of the target.

Grant Hall’s challenge on Le Fondre to the right of the home box gave Wolves another free-kick which was taken by van La Parra. Edwards headed the ball on but home keeper Alex Smithies was in position to collect.

Polter drew a fine save from Ikeme with another header with, once again, Phillips providing the ammunition for the German striker.

Half-Time: QPR 1 Wolves 0 

Wolves got just the start to the new half that they needed by pulling level in the 48th minute when Henry hit a low drive from 25-yards that struck two defenders before rolling past the wrongfooted Smithies (pictured).

Polter shot straight at Ikeme after a Phillips corner had dropped nicely for him and then, when Phillips had a pot himself, his effort from 20-yards lacked the power to trouble the Wolves keeper.

Edwards headed over after a cross from  van La Parra before Rangers were fortunate to survive a heavy Wolves attack which included an unsuccessful penalty appeal for hand ball and finished with a drive from Conor Coady that flashed wide.

Two Henry free-kicks were cleared before, in the 74th minute, Smithies saved his side three times in a matter of seconds.

First he produced a flying save from Matt Doherty who ran into the box and hit a powerful shot that had ‘goal’ written all over it. 

From Henry’s corner the ball was half cleared to Coady and his low shot was turned aside by the keeper.

Then it was the head of Edwards that met McDonald's cross and Smithies, with the best save of the afternoon, just got his fingertips to ball to divert it away as it was about to cross the line.

Shortly afterwards Edwards went down after a challenge from home substitute Chery. After lengthy treatment he tried to continue but was obviously in trouble and he was replaced by George Saville.

QPR also made a change introducing new signing from Peterborough, Conor Washington, for Hoilett.

Two minutes from time Washington almost fashioned a winner for the home team when he set up Chery whose shot smashed against the far upright and bounced away to safety. 

Shortly before the end of the four minutes of added time, a blocked Henry shot fell to Kevin McDonald who was wide of the near post from the left of goal.

QPR: Smithies, Hall, Onuoha, Phillips, Fer, Konchesky, Henry (Chery 73), Luongo, Hoilett (Washington 83), Perch, Polter.

Unused subs: Lumley, Hill, Mackie, Faurlin, Angella.

Wolves: Ikeme, Iorfa, Doherty, Edwards (Saville 82), Batth (capt), Ebanks-Landell, van La Parra, Coady, Le Fondre, McDonald, Henry.

Unused subs: McCarey, Golbourne, Rowe, Price, Byrne, Enobakhare. 

Referee: A. Woolmer.

Attendance: 15,266 (1,356 away supporters).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.