Skip to main content


17:46 28th December 2015

Valley Delight For Wolves

Charlton Athletic 0

Wolves 2 (Graham 52, Lennon-og 83)

After an uneventful opening half against Charlton, Wolves had much the better of things after the break and went on to deservedly claim the three points thanks to Jordan Graham’s close range finish and Harry Lennon’s own-goal. 

Wolves were unchanged for the trip to the Valley as the Addicks kicked-off attacking the end of the ground packed with over 1,600 travelling supporters.

After a chanceless opening five minutes, Ricardo Vaz Te was well wide with a long distance drive before the visiting defence were called upon to clear two Morgan Fox corners.

Stephen Henderson just beat Benik Afobe to Kevin McDonald’s through ball, and then the keeper plucked a swerving cross from Graham out of the air.

Graham won Wolves’s first corner of the game in the 14th minute. The winger took the kick himself but James Henry could get no direction on his header.

There was no-one on hand to put the finishing touches to Dave Edwards’s centre through the heart of the home goalmouth and then, seconds later, Dominic Iorfa’s pull back fell to a defender who cleared. 

In the 28th minute Wanderers were close to snatching the lead. McDonald pumped a long free-kick into the box and Danny Batth nodded on to Afobe who failed to make a solid connection with his shot allowing Henderson to dive and save on the line.

Two Graham corners yielded no reward in a game where goalmouth action continued to be at a premium.

Just before the break Charlton lost the services of Demola Lookman who limped off to be replaced by Simon Makienok. 

The substitute soon made an impression as he collided with referee Keith Hill who lay motionless on the floor. Thankfully, after attention from both sets of physios, the official was able to continue for the final seconds of the half.

Half-Time; Charlton 0 Wolves 0

The referee didn’t reappear after the break and he was replaced by fourth official Matthew Buonassisi

Charlton won a corner two minutes after the resumption but Fox’s low, lay back was intercepted by Edwards who took the ball to half-way before spreading it to Graham on the left. He sprinted to the corner of the box before hitting an angled effort narrowly wide of the far post.

Graham’s free-kick was taken by the keeper after Henry had been fouled by El-Hadji Ba before Wolves moved into a 52nd lead.

The goal owed much to the persistence of Afobe who beat off a determined challenge from Lennon before running into the box and firing in a low cross. 

A defender on the line appeared to get a touch and then Henderson pushed the ball out but only as far as Graham who blasted it back into the net from close range.

Henderson had to dive full length to turn away a 22-yard drive from Afobe and then Lennon received a retrospective booking for a bad foul on Conor Coady.

Edwards made a superb saving challenge to deny Vaz Te who looked odds on to convert Fox’s low cross, and then the Welsh international broke from a Charlton corned and played the ball out to Coady whose attempt to play a one-two was thwarted by Naby Sarr who intercepted and cleared from the heart of his area.

Nathan Byrne replaced Henry for the final 20 minutes as Wolves continued to look the more dangerous side.

And in the 82nd minute a Graham corner led to Wolves’ second goal. The ball ran to the far post and it went in off Lennon who had Batth breathing down his neck (pictured).

There was little to worry Carl Ikeme in the closing stages as the home supporters expressed their anger at the Charlton board and management. 

Charlton: Henderson, Vaz Te, Jackson (capt), Sarr, Ghoochannejhad (Holmes-Dennis 66), Ahearne-Grant, Solly, Fox (Ceballos 80), Ba, Lennon, Lookman (Makienok 45+1).

Unused subs: Pope, Charles-Cook, Muldoon, Moussa.

Bookings: Lennon (54 – foul), Ba (78 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme, Iorfa, Doherty, Coady, Batth (capt), Ebanks-Landell, Henry (Byrne 71), Edwards, Afobe, McDonald, Graham (Ojo 89).

Unused subs: McCarey, Golbourne, Wallace, Sigurdarson, Le Fondre.

Referee: K. Hill (M. Bounassisi 45).

Attendance: 18,059.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.