Skip to main content


16:45 3rd October 2015

Wolves Halt Huddersfield Hoodoo

Wolves 3 (McDonald 23, Afobe 66, 88)

Huddersfield Town 0

Wolves went into the international break on a high after having taken seven points from three games in eight days. In doing so they broke the home hoodoo which had seen Huddersfield unbeaten in eight visits to Molineux stretching back to 1988. 

This time he Yorkshire side were well beaten with a brace from Benik Afobe and a cracking strike from Kevin McDonald seeing Wanderers home whilst Kenny Jackett’s defence registered a second consecutive clean sheet. McDonald also had an assist in Afobe’s two goals.

Sheyi Ojo, a substitute in the game at Fulham, retained his place as the only change to the starting line-up with Nathan Byrne dropping down to the bench.

Town kicked-off attacking the South Bank end on an overcast Molineux afternoon. But it was Wolves that won two early corners although neither proved to be profitable.

Emi Martinez had to palm away an angled drive from Mustapha Carayol who then set up a chance for Harry Bunn who fired over the bar from just inside the box.

Huddersfield keeper Jed Steer had to turn away a driven cross from James Henry but it was the visitors that carried more of the initial threat.

There was a half chance for Afobe after the Town defence made a hash of a clearance but his shot ran straight into the arms of Steer.

Martin Cranie was booked for tugging at Ojo’s shirt but Henry’s free-kick was a tad too strong and Steer was able to field the ball before it went out of play.

Wolves moved into a 23rd minute lead following some great work by McDonald. He superbly controlled a lofted ball and took a return pass from Henry before stroking the ball beyond the dive of Steer and into the corner of the net for 20-yards.

Ojo was somewhat harshly yellow carded after he and Joel Lynch went for a loose ball in the Huddersfield box. That the foul went in favour of Town was fair enough but there was nothing malicious in Ojo’s challenge.

Elliot Ward was fortunate as his attempt to clear a Dominic Iorfa cross bounced to a team-mate before the visitors finished the half on the up with Martinez having to save low shots from Ishmael Miller and then Emyr Huws.

Half-Time; Wolves 1 Town 0

There was an early chance for Miller shortly after the resumption as he chased a ball into the box. But Martinez was alert to the danger and he saved at the striker’s feet.

Ojo was inches away in the 51st minute as he let fly from 20-yards with an effort that skimmed the bar and brushed the roof of the net.

Afobe then released Iorfa on the overlap and the defender hit a cross that flicked the head of Le Fondre and drifted wide of the far post.

Nahki Wells replaced Carayal in the 58th minute seconds before Steer plucked a Henry snapshot out of the air. The keeper then pulled off a stunning save to keep out another effort from Henry – a 20-yard drive that was arrowing towards the corning of the net.

After Byrne had replaced Ojo, there was a chance for Le Fondre who shot over following a cross from McDonald. But the next time the duo combined, in the 66th minute, Wolves doubled their advantage. 

McDonald hit a through ball to Le Fondre who raced into the box and hit a short, low cross that Afobe converted from eight-years out.

Wolves should have had a penalty two minutes later when Le Fondre ran onto a back pass and was upended as he rounded Steer. The keeper’s face said it all but the referee decided that Le Fondre had taken a dive and booked him for simulation to the fury of the crowd.

Jack Price followed Le Fondre into the book, for a foul on Sean Scannell before Henry twice in two minutes went close – first with a free-kick that was a foot wide of the far post, and then with a chip that was just too high.

It was pretty much one-way traffic as Price intercepted a ball in midfield and hit a shot on the run that Steer needed two attempts to gather.

Martinez did well to beat away a shot from Wells in a rare Huddersfield attack but, in the 88th minute, Afobe completed the scoring for the afternoon as he ran onto McDonald’s deep through ball and fired home off the inside of the far post (pictured).

Wolves: Martinez, Iorfa, Golbourne, McDonald, Batth (capt), Hause, Henry (Doherty 87), Le Fondre (Edwards 83), Afobe, Price, Ojo (Byrne 61).

Unused subs: Ikeme, Wallace, Ebanks-Landell, Enobakhare.

Bookings: Ojo (30 – foul), Le Fondre (68 – simulation), Price (70 – foul).

Town: Steer, Davidson, Whitehead (capt), Scannell, Carayol (Wells 58), Miller, Ward, Cranie. Huws (Hogg 80), Bunn (Paterson 80), Lynch. 

Unused subs: Allinson, Smith, Hudson, Billing.

Bookings: Cranie (20 – foul) Whitehead 90+3).

Referee: C. Kavanagh.

Attendance: 18,166.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.