Skip to main content


22:25 1st October 2014

A Disappointing Night At Molineux

Wolves 1 (Sako 71)

Huddersfield Town 3 (Bunn 21, Scannell 39, Coady 51)

Wolves suffered their first home League defeat of the campaign and lost the chance of moving to the top of the Championship table when a lack lustre performance saw Huddersfield Town emerge as 3-1 winners in front of a disappointed Molineux crowd.

Samuel Ricketts returned at right-back for ankle injury victim Matt Doherty, Yannick Sagbo came in for Leon Clarke and the new signing was partnered up front by Nouha Dicko who replaced George Saville as head coach Kenny Jackett opted for a 4-4-2 formation. Clarke and Saville were named as substitutes.

Town kicked-off attacking the South Bank end but within 20 seconds the first shot of the game came from Sagbo who was wide from the edge of the box. 

Then Ricketts was inches away from marking his return with a goal as he worked a shooting position and, from the 18-yard line, hit a low drive that came back off the foot of the post before being cleared.

Wanderers were pressing hard and there was another chance when Kevin McDonald played in Dicko who was denied by Huddersfield keeper Alex Smithies who spread himself to save.

On 15 minutes Lee Evans played a through ball to Ricketts who laid a pass off to Sagbo but, from the edge of the area, he sent the ball high into the Stan Cullis Stand.

There was a scramble in the visitors box when Dicko played the ball into the heart of the goalmouth but it was cleared before Town took a shock 21st minute lead.

Protests that Grant Holt had fouled Richard Stearman before crossing were ignored and Harry Bunn hit his shot into the floor and past Carl Ikeme.

Bakary Sako’s shot was blocked after Dicko had pulled the ball back for him and from a Sako corner, Stearman flicked the ball on and Smithies managed to smother it as Danny Batth looked to capitalise at the far post.

Ikeme got behind a well struck effort from Jacob Butterfield before James Henry shot over the bar after taking a return pass from Sako. 

Failure to clear the ball proved costly to Wolves in the 39th minute as Huddersfield went two up – Sean Scannell scoring with an angled shot that Ikeme got a hand to but couldn’t keep out.

Signs that it wasn’t going to be Wolves’ night grew two minutes later when the in-form Evans limped off to be replaced by Tommy Rowe.

Two minutes before the break, good work from Henry and Dicko set up a chance for Sako but he fired narrowly wide with his unfavoured right foot.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Huddersfield 2

Ikeme made a fine save to keep out a fierce effort from Butterfield shortly after the resumption but the keeper was beaten again in the 51st minute as Conor Coady curled a superb effort from 25-yards into the top corner.

Both Sako and McDonald fired over the bar in a two minute spell as Wolves tried to find a way back into the game.

Sagbo was replaced by Rajiv van La Parra but it was still Town that carried the threats with Ikeme having to dive full length to keep out Bunn’s shot from distance.

Smithies made a comfortable save from Sako but the Mali winger finally put his team on the scoreboard in the 71st minute when he buried a low, close range shot after a combination of van La Parra and Dicko set up the opportunity.

Clarke replaced Henry for the closing stages and shortly after his introduction Batth headed onto the roof of the net following a Sako corner.

Sako curled an angled shot inches wide of the far post with Smithies beaten and then the keeper didn’t have to move to take Dicko’s shot on the turn.

Almost eight minutes of stoppage time were played with McDonald and van La Parra both going close but this wasn’t a gold and black evening.

Wolves: Ikeme, Ricketts (capt), Golbourne, , Batth, Stearman, Henry (Clarke 75), Evans (Rowe 41), Sagbo (van La Parra 55), Dicko, McDonald, Sako.

Unused subs: McCarey, Edwards, Saville, Ebanks-Landell.

Town: Smithies, Hudson (capt), Holt (Stead 79), Coady, Smith, Scannell (Dixon 90+4), Lynch, Bunn, Butterfield, Hogg (Wallace 90+2), Robinson.

Unused subs: Murphy, Wells, Billing, Ward. 

Referee: P. Gibbs.

Attendance: 19,059.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.