Skip to main content


16:10 28th September 2014

Honours Even After Six Goal Thriller

Reading 3 (Hector 19, Taylor 55, Murray 89)

Wolves 3 (Henry 51, Evans 54, Blackman-og 84)

An all action affair at the Madejski Stadium finished with honours even as Wolves and Reading shared six goals in a frenetic encounter.

Leon Clarke came in for the injured Nouha Dicko and George Saville returned in place of Dave Edwards who took a place on the bench.

Reading kicked-off attacking the end of the ground that housed just short of 1,800 travelling supporters.

Wolves could have taken a fifth minute lead after Clarke’s deft pass put Saville through on goal but Adam Federici blocked and when the loose ball ran to Lee Evans some 20-yards out, he fired over the bar.

Bakary Sako’s nudge on Chris Gunter presented Reading with a free-kick to the right of the visitors box. Jordan Obita took the kick and Simon Cox glanced a header that wasn’t too far off the far post.

There was another chance for Cox when he ran in onto Glenn Murray’s pass but, from the edge of the area, he lashed the ball well wide. 

Some interpassing between Obita ansd Oliver Norwood, following a short corner, led to Reading taking an 19th minute lead. Norwood floated over a cross and Michael Hector ran in to bury a near post header that gave Carl Ikeme no chance.

A James Henry free-kick from the left of the Reading box was punched clear by Federici before Murray hit a tremendous 25-yard effort that went wide with Ikeme at full stretch.

Sako and Kevin McDonald combined to set up a chance for Clarke who, from a tight angle, turned and dragged his shot wide but the flag was already raised for offside.

In the 32nd minute Sako played a short corner to McDonald whose cross was cleared but only after a brief scramble in the Reading goalmouth.

It took the combined efforts of two defenders to prevent Sako from getting to Matt Doherty’s low cross and then the Mali winger cleverly beat Gunter and delivered a low centre that Ferderici smothered before Clarke could take advantage.

Half-Time: Reading 1 Wolves 0

Danny Guthrie replaced Hope Akpan at the start of the new half and the Reading man had been on the field for less than a minute when he earned a lengthy rebuke from the referee for a challenge that left Henry in need of treatment.

Norwood curled a 25-yarder inches over the bar before Wolves had their fans celebrating as former Reading man Henry levelled the scores. Sako drilled in a low cross from the left and Henry was waiting at the far post to sidefoot the ball into the roof of the net.

Just three minutes later Wolves were ahead. Obita’s attempt to clear Doherty’s short cross fell to Evans who wasted no time in netting with a low shot from 12-yards.

But the joy was to last for a matter of seconds as, straight from the restart, Reading equalised. Cox slipped a pass to the unmarked Jake Taylor who beat Ikeme with an angled drive.

On the hour mark Hector’s foul on Evans to the left of the Reading box gave Henry the chance to lift across a free-kick that had the home defence at full stretch before they managed to clear their lines. 

Guthrie was booked for a challenge on Evans and, after Clarke was a fraction wide with a header from yet another Henry free-kick, Richard Stearman was also yellow carded for an off the ball push on Murray.

Both sides made changes with James Mackie and Aaron Kuhl replacing Cox and Taylor for Reading whilst Edwards and Rajiv van La Parra took over from Saville and Henry for the visitors.

Edwards helped restore Wolves’ lead in the 84th minute as Sako’s corner brushed off his head and hit Nick Blackman with the ball crossing the line before it was hooked clear  – the linesman immediately indicating so.

Reading hit back again though, with Murray hitting a shot from the edge of the box that took a deflection off Danny Batth on its way past Ikeme.

The five minutes of stoppage time brought nothing more in the way of goals, just a booking for Edwards for a foul on Guthrie.

Reading: Federici, Gunter (capt), Pearce, Norwood, Cox (Mackie 68), Obita, Hector, Akpan (Guthrie 45), Murray, Blackman, Taylor (Kuhl 73).

Unused subs: Pobrebnyak, Andersen, Long, Cooper.

Bookings: Taylor (45 – foul), Guthrie (64 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Golbourne, Saville (Edwards 77), Batth (capt), Stearman, Henry (van La Parra 79), Evans, Clarke (McAlinden 87), McDonald, Sako.

Unused subs: McCarey, Edwards, Rowe, Ebanks-Landell, Jacobs.

Bookings: Stearman (66 – foul), Edwards (90 – foul). 

Referee: J. Adcock. 

Attendance: 17,454 (1,784 away supporters). 

Wolves Academy Under 18s 3 (Ronan, Heyden, Enobakhare) Blackburn Rovers 2


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.