Skip to main content


16:52 2nd May 2015

Wolves Fall Just Short

Wolves 4 (Dicko 20, 56, Ebanks-Landell 70, Sako 90+1)

Millwall 2 (O’Brien 58, Philpot 82) 

In the end Wolves did the job on the day, beating a resolute Millwall side that was already condemned to the drop. But Kenny Jackett’s men failed in their bid to make the play-offs on goal difference – they fell just five goals, or a single point, short over the campaign.

Rajiv van La Parra took the place of Jack Price, who was named as a substitute, as the only change to the Wanderers starting line-up.

Wolves kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and they had a chance in the first minute as Bakary Sako broke into the Millwall half and spread a pass to Benik Afobe whose low shot was safely pouched by keeper David Forde.

A through ball from Dave Edwards then left Afobe through on goal but he was robbed as he was about to shoot by Mark Beevers’ perfectly timed tackle.

In the 15th minute, Nouha Dicko’s attempted shot took a deflection and the ball fell nicely for van La Parra in front of goal. But the winger was quickly closed down and block tackled before he could get a shot away.

A piece of Sako magic led to Wolves taking the lead five minutes later. He rode several challenges as he ran half the length of the field into the Millwall box.

Beevers intercepted but the ball bounced to Dicko and from six-yards he turned and fired into the bottom corner.

There was a chance for Millwall to get back Into the game when a long clearance put Lee Martin in the clear. He was quickly closed down by Tomasz Kuszczak and, with Richard Stearman also getting across, Martin’s attempt at a lob failed and the danger was cleared.

Wolves were enjoying most of the attacking play but other than gathering a series of centres, there was little to trouble Forde.

In first half stoppage time, a low corner from Sako fell to Edwards but his shot from the edge of the box was yards too high.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Millwall 0

Four minutes after the break there was a minor fracas after Sid Nelson had fouled Dicko on the halfway line. Players from both side were soon involved in a bout of pushing and shoving but order was soon restored before Nelson was yellow carded.

Millwall went close to levelling the score following a Martin cross. Kuszczak managed to block Aiden O’Brien’s close range effort and, as the ball looped up in the air, Edwards was on hand to head off the line as it dropped towards goal.

Dicko was on target again after 56 minutes after he had picked up a pass from Sako. The striker cut across Nelson and Beevers as he ran across the area before he turned and smashed a right foot drive past Forde.

Two minutes later, Millwall pulled one back. Jack Powell’s 22-yard free-kick went through the wall forcing Kuszczak into a diving save. Lee Gregory was quickly onto the loose ball and his short cross was turned over the line by O’Brien.

Forde saved an angled effort from Sako who then played his part in Wolves third goal. Dan Harding felled Afobe near the right-hand corner flag and, after the Millwall man has been booked, Sako fired in the free-kick which ran through to Ethan Ebanks-Landell at the far post and he netted from point blank range (pictured).

Twice in the space of a minute Sako went close to increasing the lead. He was inches wide with an angled drive and then he smashed a ferocious shot into the side netting after being set up by Dicko.

As Wolves pressed for more goals, Millwall struck on the break to make it 3-2. Ed Upson cleared from the edge of his own area to Gregory and he played the ball back to Upson who had continued his run on the left before hitting a low cross that was slid home by substitute Jamie Philpot.

It was all Wolves in the closing stages with Forde saving a low shot from Afobe, Dicko shooting inches wide of the far post and Sako forcing a fine save from the keeper.

As the game drifted into stoppage time, Sako marked what could possibly be his last game for the club with a superb strike. Afobe played a short corner to the Mali star who turned and beat his marker on the by-line before hitting home a shot from an impossible angle.

Wolves: Kuszczak; Iorfa, Ebanks-Landell, Stearman (capt), Golbourne, Edwards, van La Parra (Price 64), McDonald, Afobe, Dicko, Sako.

Unused subs: Flatt, Doherty, Henry, Doyle, Jacobs, Hause.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne (capt), Martin (Philpot 80) (Pavey 89), Gregory, Upson, Beevers, Harding, O’Brien, Powell (Cowan-Hall 72), Abdou, Nelson.

Unused subs: Archer, Cummings, Gueye, Thompson.

Bookings: Nelson (49 – foul), Harding (69 – foul).

Referee: M. Haywood.

Attendance: 24,480.

Leicester City Under 18s 2 Wolves 3 (Rainey 2, Ennis)


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.