Skip to main content


22:49 3rd March 2015

Penalty Controversy As Wolves Edged Out

Bournemouth 2 (Kermorgant 10, 49-pen)

Wolves 1 (Afobe 39)

There wasn’t much in it but a controversial penalty proved the deciding factor as Wolves lost out to Bournemouth in a disappointing contest at Dean Court.

From the team that had beaten Cardiff three days earlier, there were two changes with Nouha Dicko and Matt Doherty coming in for Jack Price and Dominic Iorfa who were named as substitutes.

The opening exchanges were fairly even with the first chance falling to Matt Ritchie who fired over from 20-yards out.

For Wolves, Benik Afobe was just beaten to Kevin McDonald’s lofted through pass by home keeper Artur Boruc.

But it was Bournemouth that made the early breakthrough as they moved ahead in the tenth minute. Callum Wilson hit a low cross from the right and Yann Kermorgant ran in unopposed to scoop the ball home from the corner of the six-yard box.

Boruc had to run 20 yards from his area to head clear a deep through ball that Afobe was chasing down as Wolves tried to get back into the game.

A McDonald ball out of defence was superbly brought under control by Rajiv van La Parra in the centre-circle. He sprinted into the Bournemouth half and laid the ball off for Bakary Sako to cross only for a defender to head clear.

Harry Arter tried a shot that was deflected for a corner which Arter took himself but the pressure was relieved when the referee spotted an infringement in the box awarding Wolves a free-kick.

Kermorgant blasted a shot high over the bar after Marc Pugh had squared a pass to him but it was the 1,300 travelling supporters that were cheering wildly in the 39th minute as Afobe grabbed an equaliser.

McDonald’s great through ball breached the home defence and Afobe held off a challenge before burying a low shot past Boruc.

Wilson hit a fierce drive that was knocked down and then collected by Tomasz Kuszczak as Wanderers finished the half the stronger side.

Afobe beat two men before drawing a diving save from Boruc, and then McDonald ran from just outside his own area to the Bournemouth box before shooting just off target.

Steve Cook was booked for a foul on Afobe and when Bakary Sako’s free kick was only half cleared, the Mali winger regained possession and took the ball to the line before hitting a low cross that was turned behind.

The last action of the half saw Sako’s corner being headed clear.

Half-Time: Bournemouth 1 Wolves 1

Four minutes after the restart Bournemouth were back in front after Richard Stearman was adjudged to have fouled Wilson who flew dramatically through the air. The incident looked to have taken place just outside the area.

The referee was surrounded by angry Wolves players but the decision stood and after Stearman was shown the yellow card, Kermorgant beat Kuszczak from the spot.

Wilson wasn’t far away with a low, angled shot that went just wide of the far post and then two rebounds went the way of Bournemouth presenting Pugh with the chance to get in a shot that was cleared from in front of goal by Stearman.

Then it was the turn of Doherty to clear the danger at the back post after full back Simon Francis had sent in a dangerous cross.  Seconds later Francis went into the book for an untidy challenge on Sako.

With 15 minutes remaining there was a change to the Wolves forward line as Kevin Doyle took the place of Dicko.

Wilson fired across the face of goal with a shot on the turn before Boruc saved at Afobe’s feet after Sako sent a low through ball into the box.

In the 89th minute Wolves should have had a penalty of their own after substitute Ryan Fraser had fouled van La Parra wide on the left.

Sako’s free-kick was headed up into the air and as it dropped down Tommy Elphick appeared to handle. The Wolves played reacted immediately but not so the referee who waved play on.

It was virtually all Wolves in the five extra minutes played at the end, but there was to be no late reprieve.

Bournemouth: Boruc, Francis, Cook, Elphick (capt), Daniels, Arter, Ritchie (Smith 83), Wilson, Kermorgant (Pitman 90), Surman, Pugh (Ward 90+3).

Unused subs: Camp, Fraser, MacDonald, Rantie.

Bookings: Cook (45+1 – foul), Francis (70 – foul), Ward (90+2 – foul), Pitman (90+3 - dissent). 

Wolves: Kuszczak, Doherty, Hause, Edwards, Batth (capt), Stearman, van La Parra, McDonald, Afobe, Dicko (Doyle 75), Sako.

Unused subs: McCarey, Golbourne, Henry, Iorfa, Ebanks-Landell, Price.

Booking: Stearman (49 – foul)

Referee: J. Linington.

Attendance: 9,851.





    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.