Skip to main content


02:25 11th February 2015

Four-midable Wolves Bounce Back

Huddersfield Town 1 (Vaughan 63)

Wolves 4 (Dicko 12, 90, Coady-og 47, Afobe 61)

It was back in 1997 that Wolves last enjoyed an away win at Huddersfield but the Molineux men bounced back in fine style after the disappointing defeat against Reading to record a comprehensive 4-1 victory over the Yorkshire side. 

Kenny Jackett made two changes following the weekend’s setback with Dave Edwards and Lee Evans dropping down to the bench, their places taken by Jack Price and Nouha Dicko.

Wolves kicked-off defending the end of the John Smith Stadium that housed around 900 travelling supporters.

The first chance fell to the home team in the second minute as James Vaughan unleashed a long range shot that skidded across the surface and inches wide.

Wolves responded almost immediately with Kortney Hause taking a return pass from Benik Afobe and running to the bye-line before pulling the ball back into the heart of the box where a defender was on hand to clear.

Sean Scannell took the ball from halfway to the edge of the area before hitting a shot that was blocked by Danny Batth, and then Tomasz Kuszczak needed two attempts to gather another shot from distance – this time from Ismael Miller.

Wolves moved into the lead with 12 minutes gone. Rajiv van La Parra hit an inch perfect pass through to Dicko and he slid the ball past keeper Alex Smithies who had raced from his line.

The Dutch winger almost fashioned another goal two minutes later when he fed Afobe to the right of the home goal. The striker hit an angled drive that Smithies claimed at the near post.

Harry Bunn was booked for tripping van La Parra who was in full flight. After Bakary Sako’s free-kick was headed clear, Bunn was followed into the book by Tommy Smith who pulled back the lively Dicko.

In the 31st minute, Bunn tested Kuszczak with a low shot that the keeper managed to parry before collecting and then, from a Jacob  Butterfield corner, Mark Hudson headed narrowly over the bar.

Kuszczak made an acrobatic save to keep out an effort from Vaughan that took a hefty deflection and then, just before the break, the keeper had to beat the ball behind to stop a powerful drive from Scannell.

Half-Time: Town 0 Wolves 1

Wolves were gifted a second goal just over a minute into the second half as Conor Coady met Sako’s corner at the near post and despatched a perfect header into his own net.

A shot from Butterfield was well saved by Kuszczak before a break from a Huddersfield corner almost saw Wolves add to their account. The ball broke to van La Parra who over hit the ball when and he and Dicko were two on one in the home half of the field.

Batth made a great last ditch tackle to deny Bunn who was otherwise through on goal, and then Butterfield curled one straight into the arms of Kuszczak.

It was Butterfield that threatened again, with an effort that Kuszczak had to tip over the bar, before Wolves hit their hosts on the counter to go three up.

Dicko won possession and exchanged passes with van La Parra before setting up the winger whose shot was blocked. But the ball broke nicely for Afobe and he made no mistake from eight-yards.

Just two minutes later, Town cut the deficit as Vaughan tucked the ball away after Scannell had delivered a cross from the right.

Sako had the chance to restore the two goal advantage shortly afterwards but he fired high over the bar with Afobe unmarked on the far side of goal.

Scott Golbourne replaced Sako on 73 minutes and, after Butterfield had been booked for dissent, Edwards took the place of van La Parra. Then it was the turn of Dicko to be yellow carded, apparently for something he said. 

The visiting defence and keeper Kuszczak dealt fairly comfortably with a series of home attacks before, in the 90th minute, Dicko confirmed Wanderers’ victory as he took a smart through ball from Afobe and rounded the keeper before finding the back of the net. 

Town: Smithies, Hudson (capt), Scannell, Butterfield, Vaughan, Coady, Miller, Wallace (Edgar 88), Robinson, Smith, Bunn  (Lolley 68).

Unused subs: Allinson, Holmes, Gobern, Wright, Majewski.

Bookings: Bunn (15 – foul), Smith (28 – foul), Butterfield (77 – dissent).

Wolves: Kuszczak, Doherty, Hause, Price, Stearman, Batth (capt), van La Parra (Edwards 78), Dicko, Afobe, McDonald, Sako (Golbourne 73).

Subs: Flatt, Henry, Evans, Ebanks-Landell, Iorfa.

Bookings: Dicko (81 – dissent), Afobe (90+5 – simulation).

Referee: D. Webb.

Attendance: 8,843 (905 visiting supporters).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.