Skip to main content


19:15 24th January 2015

Defences On Top

Wolves 0 

Charlton Athletic 0

Defences were on top at Molineux as Wolves and Charlton Athletic fought out a goalless draw with both goalkeepers enjoining a relatively quiet afternoon in what was a low key affair.

There was just the one change to Kenny Jackett’s starting eleven with Benik Afobe making his full debut in place of Nouha Dicko who was named as a substitute.

Charlton kicked-off attacking the South Bank end but within two minutes it was Wolves that posed the first threat as James Henry headed into the side netting after a cross from Rajiv van La Parra.

The opening minutes saw most of the pressing coming from the home team as the Charlton defence managed to clear three Henry corner’s and a deep free-kick from the wide man.

Danny Batth got a timely foot in to clear from Jordan Cousins who was otherwise through on goal before Kevin McDonald’s persistence allowed him to set up Dave Edwards whose first time drive from just outside the area flew wide of the target.

After 35 minutes Kortney Hause headed wide after Henry had lifted a free-kick into the area, before a centre from Johann Berg Gudmundsson deceived everyone before drifting uncomfortably close to the far post as it went behind.

Then Dominic Iorfa took the ball from the halfway to a point 20-yards from the Charlton goal before he hit a low shot that lacked power and went wide.

Richard Stearman went into the book after a challenge on Callum Harriott, and then the ball ran away from Afobe and went behind as he chased down McDonald’s through pass.

Just before the break, Henry intercepted a loose ball and ran to the by-line before hitting a cross that was plucked out of the air by keeper Marko Dmitrovic.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Charlton 0

There were two changes to the Wolves side at the start of the second half with Dicko replacing Henry and Scott Golbourne taking over from Hause.

Wanderers made a bright start and Tal Ben Haim had to clear a van La Parra cross at the near post at the expense of a corner.

Moments later, van La Parra was fouled to the right of the Charlton box. Golbourne sent over the free-kick and Batth’s header was cleared from in front of goal by Andre Bikey.

Carl Ikeme was forced into action on 49 minutes when he had to dive full length to turn away Harriott’s 25-yard drive and, in the next home attack, Dmitrovic saved at his near post from van La Parra’s angled shot on the turn.

There was a good opportunity for Yoni Buyens when he burst into the home area. Ikeme did well to block and when the loose ball rolled across the face of goal, Golborne got across to clear as Gudmundsson ran in.

Winger van La Parra was on to score a terrific goal as he met Golborne’s cross, on the volley, on the far side of goal. The ball looked to be heading for the net but it hit a defender and flew over the bar.

Ikeme was at his best as he blocked to thwart substitute Tony Watt before, in the 75th minute, Matt Doherty went on for Iorfa.

Four minutes from time, Afobe got in a powerful header as he met Golbourne’s centre but his effort was too close to Dmitrovic who clutched the ball to his chest.

Cousins was yellow carded after fouling van La Parra to the right of the Charlton box. Doherty’s free-kick was headed out as far as McDonald but he lifted his shot over the bar. 

In the last of the four minutes of added time, Dicko went to ground under a challenge from Ben Haim. The striker didn’t appeal for a penalty but as he got to his feet Bikey ran across and shoved him indicating a dive.

Order was quickly restored and both players, along with Doherty, were booked for their part of the altercation.

Wolves: Ikeme, Hause (Golbourne 45), Iorfa (Doherty 75), Edwards, Batth (capt), Stearman, Henry (Dicko 45), McDonald, Afobe, Price, van La Parra.

Unused subs: Kuszczak, Evans, Ebanks-Landell, Jacobs.

Bookings: Stearman (40 – foul), Dicko (90+4 – ungentlemanly conduct), Doherty (90+4 - ungentlemanly conduct).

Charlton: Dmitrovic, Bikey, Berg Gudmundsson, Harriott (Watt 69), Vetokele (Church 78), Buyens, Veltkovic (Gomez 83), Solly (capt), Fox, Cousins, Ben Haim.

Unused subs: Etheridge, Wilson, Wiggins, Ahearne-Grant. 

Bookings:  Cousins (87 – foul), Bikey (90+4 - ungentlemanly conduct).

Referee: A. D’Urso.

Attendance: 23,487. 


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.