Skip to main content


17:44 29th November 2014

Stung By The Bees

Brentford 4 (Judge 29, Dallas 74, Gray 82, Jota 90+2)

Wolves 0

For Wolves the misery continues as they slumped to a fourth consecutive defeat going down 4-0 at Brentford. Three of the London club’s goals came in the final stages as the Molineux men failed once again to find the net themselves.

There were four changes to the Wolves starting eleven with Rajiv van La Parra, Scott Golbourne, George Saville and Lee Evans coming in for Tommy Rowe, Ethan Ebanks-Landell, James Henry and Kevin McDonald.

The Bees kicked-off attacking the end of Griffin Park that housed around 1,500 travelling fans.

The first corner of the game went Brentford’s way. Alex Pritchard played the ball short to Alan Judge and his cross was headed clear by Danny Batth.

Two further home corners were cleared before van La Parra registered the visitors first goal attempt – a long-range drive that didn’t cause keeper David Button too much concern.

But a Bakary Sako free-kick, from wide on the right after van La Parra’s shirt had been tugged, had Button watching nervously as the ball curled inches over the bar clipping the top of the netting as it went behind.

After Saville had been booked for a challenge on Judge, the woodwork came to Brentford’s rescue in the 16th minute as a flying header from Danny Graham hit the underside of the bar and bounced down on the line before being cleared following a nicely flighted cross from van La Parra.

Dave Edwards was yellow carded for a late challenge on Jon Toral who was the man behind Brentford moving into a 29th minute lead. He sprinted past a challenge as he ran into the box and then slipped a short pass inside to Judge who prodded the ball home from close quarters.

Just a minute later Button made a good save to push out a shot from Sako with Graham heading wide from the rebound. Then Jake Bidwell went into the book for pulling back van La Parra.

Brentford almost doubled their advantage in the 34th minute as Andre Gray took the ball to the by-line and tried a chip from the tightest of angles that drifted across the face of Carl Ikeme’s goal.

Graham’s persistence saw him keeping the ball in play and laying it back to van La Parra. His centre dropped to Sako at the far post but his sight of goal was blocked so he played the ball back and it was hooked clear by a defender.

Shortly before the break, home skipper Tony Craig needed attention after an accidental clash of heads with Sako. The defender was able to continue albeit with his head heavily bandaged.

Half-Time: Bees 1 Wolves 0

Golbourne didn’t return after the break and his place in the left-back slot was taken by Rowe.

Play at the start of the new half continued to see both teams getting forward at any given opportunity.

Evans was booked after a late challenge on Moses Odubajo before a heavy Brentford attack ended with Samuel Ricketts lifting the ball over his own bar to ease the pressure.

In the 57th minute McDonald was sent on in the place of Evans. 

There was a chance for van La Parra as he ran in from the right and cut inside his marker but his shot from the edge of the box went over the bar.

Midway through the half Wanderers were close to pulling level as van La Parra fired over a cross that Edwards met at the near post with his attempt to convert being deflected just the wrong side of the post by the keeper.

It took a good save from Ikeme to prevent Judge from scoring a second on the break, but Brentford did score again in the 74th minute as substitute Stuart Dallas tucked the ball away after a low cross from Pritchard.

After Ricketts became the fourth Wolves man to go into the book, for a late challenge on Pritchard, Judge then added to the despair as he carved out the openings for Brentford’s third and fourth goals. 

Gray in the 82nd minute, and Jota two minutes into stoppage time, were both given chances that they couldn’t miss by the midfielder to leave Wolves to reflect on another heavy defeat.

Brentford: Button, Bidwell, Craig (capt), Dean, Douglas, Odubajo, Toral (Dallas 66), Judge, Gray (Smith 84), Diagouraga, Pritchard (Jota 89).

Unused subs: Bonham, Saunders, Tarkowski, Proschwitz.

Booking: Bidwell (33 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Golbourne (Rowe 45), Saville, Batth, Ricketts (capt), van La Parra, Edwards, Graham (Clarke 90+2), Evans (McDonald 57), Sako.

Unused subs: Kuszczak, Stearman, Henry, Jacobs.

Bookings: Saville (15 – foul), Edwards (24 – foul), Evans (54 – foul), Ricketts (81 – foul).

Referee: M. Brown.

Attendance: 10,923 (1,603 away supporters).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.