Skip to main content


19:34 22nd November 2014

Wolves Felled By Forest

Wolves 0

Nottingham Forest 3 (Assombalonga 65, Fryatt 67, Lansbury 82)

Wolves were subjected to more East Midlands misery as, following on from the 5-0 reversal at Derby County a fortnight earlier, Stuart Pearce’s Nottingham Forest took the three points from their trip to Molineux with a convincing 3-0 triumph. 

After the Derby disappointment, Head Coach Kenny Jackett decided on three changes with Danny Graham making his debut up front in place of Leon Clarke, and Tommy Rowe and Dave Edwards moving into midfield in place of Lee Evans and George Saville who were both named as substitutes.

Forest kicked-off and the game got off to a lively start with Carl Ikeme having to parry a powerful shot from Michail Antonio inside the opening minute.

Wolves replied with a Bakary Sako corner that was cleared by the visiting defence. Sako was then fouled wide on the right but Forest keeper Karl Darlow plucked James Henry’s free-kick out of the air.

A low cross from Edwards on the right was sidefooted towards goal by Graham by Darlow dived to his left to save.

Sako and Edwards combined to set up a chance for Henry but his volley was too high before Henri Lansbury went into the book for a foul on Kevin McDonald.

Ikeme made a marvellous save as he touched Jamaal Lascelles angled drive onto the post. Britt Assombalonga latched onto the loose ball but fired wide.

In the 31st minute Matty Fryatt’s shot was deflected wide of the far post before a nice touch from Graham set Edwards off on a run to goal but the Welsh midfielder slipped on the greasy surface and lost possession.

Three Wolves corners in quick succession yielded no reward when Edwards did find the net following a cross from McDonald, the home cheers were quickly stifled by the offside flag.

Shortly before the break, Ethan Ebanks-Landell limped off to be replaced by Richard Stearman and Lascelles became the second Forest player to go into the book for deliberate hand ball.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Forest 0

Three minutes after the restart, Matt Doherty was yellow carded after he had caught clipped the heels of Antonio.

Edwards just failed to reach a low cross from Graham that had taken a slight deflection but the visitors were beginning to gain the upper hand and Danny Fox curled a shot literally inches wide.

Edwards headed well wide after a centre from Sako before Liam McAlinden was sent on in place of Henry.

Graham created a half chance for McDonald who shot over the bar before Forest moved into a 65th minute lead when Assombalonga had the easiest of tasks in tapping in Fryatt’s low cross.

Worse was to follow within three minutes as Fryatt glanced a header just inside the far post after a cross from Lansbury.

After Eric Lichaj was booked for clattering into Sako, Rajiv van La Parra went on in place of Edwards and seconds after his arrival, the Dutch winger mistimed a header with the ball going well wide after a cross from McDonald.

It looked odds on that Wolves would reduce the deficit in the 79th minutes when Doherty ran onto van La Parra’s threaded ball into the box. Doherty hit a short cross to Rowe whose effort was blocked by a defender and when the loose ball fell to Graham, he suffered the same fate. 

Any hopes of third time lucky attempt when McDonald charged in, ended when the Scot lifted the ball over the bar.

After Stearman had been booked for fouling Fryatt, the game took another turn for the worse as Forest went three up – Lansbury smashing home a shot from just outside the box. 

With two minutes remaining of a bleak afternoon for the home support, only a superb save from Ikeme prevented Lansbury from adding to Forest’s total. Substitute Jamie Paterson lifted the loose ball over the bar.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Ricketts (capt), Edwards (van La Parra 75), Batth, Ebanks-Landell (Stearman 44), Henry (McAlinden 59), McDonald, Graham, Rowe, Sako.

Unused subs: Kuszczak, Saville, Evans, Keita.

Bookings: Doherty (48 – foul), Stearman (80 – foul)

Forest: Darlow, Lichaj, Mancienne (capt), Fryatt (Blackstock 86), Assombalonga (Tesche 84), Lansbury, Fox, Lascelles, Antonio (Paterson 88), Burke, Osborn. 

Unused subs: De Vries, Wilson, Hunt, Ince. 

Bookings: Lansbury (25 – foul), Lascelles (45+1 – deliberate hand ball), Lichaj (69 – foul).

Referee: P. Tierney.

Attendance: 25,513. 

Everton Academy Under 18s 2  Wolves 2 (Devers 2)


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.