Skip to main content


16:30 1st November 2014

A Goalless Derby Day

Wolves 0

Birmingham City 0

A scrappy derby game with Birmingham City finished without a goal. After a quiet opening half Wolves went on to dominate possession after the break with Dave Edwards striking the bar and Blues lucky to escape a penalty appeal when Jonathan Grounds appeared to handle James Henry’s cross.

With Nouha Dicko out through injury, in came Liam McAlinden fresh from his loan move at Fleetwood, and he was partnered up front by Leon Clarke with Edwards dropping down to the bench. Bakary Sako, fit having recovered from a groin injury, was also named as a substitute. 

Wolves kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and there was an early chance when Michael Jacobs jinked his way in to the Blues area only to be dispossessed by Paul Caddis before he could get a cross in.

Clarke’s looping header was turned over by Darren Randolph after Tommy Rowe had crossed, and then the keeper saved a drive from McAlinden who had run on to a long through ball from Kevin McDonald.

The half was midway through before the first real threat from the visitors. McDonald was pulled up for a foul on Koby Arthur and from David Cotterill’s free-kick the ball went off the head of Lee Evans to Arthur who fired into the side netting.

There was a chance for Clayton Donaldson after McDonald had lost possession. The Blues striker sprinted towards the box but he shot wide from the edge of the area.

City’s first corner didn’t arrive until the 32nd minute. It was taken by Cotterill and Matt Doherty was on hand to head clear.

Clarke’s shot from the 18-yard line was deflected over for a corner that was taken by Henry. The ball was headed out as far as Rowe but his volley was way too high.

Former Molineux midfielder David Davis was shown the yellow card for illegally blocking the path of Clarke before, in stoppage time of an uninspiring half, Doherty headed straight into the arms of Randolph.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Blues 0 

Within two minutes of the restart the referee waved away penalty appeals following Ethan Ebanks-Landell’s challenge on Andrew Shinnie.

McDonald was too high with an effort from 25-yards, and then there were loud home appeals for a penalty when Henry’s cross appeared to strike Grounds’s hand.

In the 56th minute Kenny Jackett made a double change with Sako and Edwards replacing Jacobs and McAlinden respectively.

Doherty was clattered and injured as he delivered a cross from the right that Randolph managed to deflect away.  Thankfully, the defender was able to resume after treatment. 

Blues almost snatched an against the run of play lead in the 61st minute when Carl Ikeme made a tremendous save to divert Grounds’s header after a Cotterill corner. Paul Robinson latched onto the loose ball but he fired wide.

Wolves were soon back on the attack and when a Henry effort was deflected to Edwards, the Welsh midfielder tried a on shot the turn that was blocked by a defender.

Grounds fouled Henry to the right of the Birmingham box and when Henry’s free-kick was headed out, McDonald ran in and hit a low shot that was only just wide.

Randolph pushed out a dangerous cross from Sako and then made a brilliant reflex save from Edwards’s follow up header. Then a sharp header from Clarke flew over the near angle after yet another centre from Henry.

Wolves went even closer in their next attack when Edwards chipped the ball over Randolph and onto the top of the bar after a neat piece of play from Clarke.

Next came a superb driven cross from Sako that Clarke just failed to get a toe to at the far post. Clarke then received a retrospective booking for an earlier foul.

Another Edwards header, this time after a cross from Henry, was cleared by a defender and further Blues bookings sandwiched an 89th minute chance for Sako who shot wide from an angle after Henry’s low cross had run through to him. 

The two cautions went to substitute Wesley Thomas for a foul on Ebanks-Landell, and Caddis for pulling back Sako.

Deep into stoppage time Blues survived a scramble in their goalmouth before the referee’s whistle signalled the first goalless draw of the season at Molineux.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Rowe, Jacobs (Sako 56), Batth (capt), Ebanks-Landell, Henry, Evans, Clarke (Sagbo78), McAlinden (Edwards 56), McDonald.

Unused subs: Flatt, Stearman, Saville, van La Parra.

Booking: Clarke (74 – foul). 

Blues: Randolph, Grounds, Robinson (capt), Gleeson, Donaldson (Thomas 76), Cotterill, Shinnie (Reilly 65). Arthur (Shea 63), Davis, Morrison, Caddis.

Unused subs: Eardley, Hall, Doyle, Brown.

Bookings: Davis (38 – foul), Thomas (83 – foul), Caddis (90+4).

Referee: A. Taylor.

Attendance: 25,135. 

Newcastle United under 18s 4 Wolves 3 (Enobokhare 2, Carnat)


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.