Skip to main content


19:42 4th October 2014

Late Pressure Unrewarded

Wolves 2 (Edwards 30, Sako 64) 

Wigan Athletic 2 (Perch 32, Fortune 45+2)

After taking the lead through Dave Edwards, Wolves had to come from behind to take a point from a Wigan team that then held out in the closing stages as the home side threw everything into an effort to grab a winner.

Kenny Jackett made four changes following the disappointing defeat against Huddersfield. The fit again Matt Doherty returned from injury and also included were Edwards, Rajiv van La Parra and, making his full debut, Tommy Rowe. Lee Evans was missing with a hamstring injury and also dropping out were Samuel Ricketts, Yannick Sagbo and James Henry.

Wigan kicked-off attacking the South Bank end but it was Wolves that enjoyed the bulk of the opening exchanges without really creating any clear cut chances. 

Ivan Ramis was booked for a foul on Rowe and after Bakary Sako had seen his low cross beaten away by Scott Carson following a mazy run that saw three defenders beaten, the Wigan keeper then just beat Nouha Dicko to a long through ball.

Emyr Huws became the second Wigan player to go into the book after he had pulled back Rowe as Wolves continued to dominate the attacking play.

On the half-hour mark Wanderers moved into a deserved lead. Van La Parra floated over a cross from the right and Edwards rose to power home a header that gave Carson no chance of saving.

The home cheers soon subsided, however, as The Latics pulled level within two minutes. Richard Stearman was penalised for clipping Marc-Antoine Fortune on the by-line to the right of the home area. Sean Maloney floated over the free-kick and James Perch netted with a close range header.

Sako was played into the left side of the box by Scott Golbourne but the winger fired into the side netting and then William Kvist was yellow carded for tripping Kevin McDonald. From the free-kick conceded, Sako’s low shot was saved by Carson.

In the second minute of stoppage time Fortune was given the time and space to shoot into the roof of the net from eight yards after a cross from Andrew Taylor.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Wigan 2

Sako found the side netting once more after he ran onto a short pass from Dicko, and then he became the first home player to go into the referee’s book for an innocuous looking challenge on Fortune.

There was a half chance for Dicko when he raced into the left of the Wigan box. But with Perch challenging and putting the pressure on, when Dicko did get a shot away the keeper was able to block.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     .

Van La Parra was replaced by Henry on the hour mark before the Wigan goal had a narrow escape as Dicko got a touch to Sako’s low cross forcing a save from Carson with Taylor completing the clearance.

Wolves drew level in the 64th minute following a Golbourne corner. Doherty missed his kick but when the ball ran to the edge of the area Sako steered it through a crowded box and into the net.

Sako had another effort blocked after some good work by Henry but Carson’s goal led a charmed life in the 77th minute. The keeper punched away a Henry corner and when the visiting defence failed to clear its lines Henry crossed again and Edwards’s header drew a fine save from Carson. 

Still the ball wasn’t cleared and this time it was Sako that got in the centre and Stearman ran in to get in a shot that was destined for the net until it hit a defender and bounced to safety.

In the 86th minute a shot from Henry was deflected just wide and, from the corner conceded, taken by Henry, Doherty headed onto the bar. Callum McManaman, who had only been on the field for four minutes, was then booked for a tackle on McDonald.

In stoppage time Taylor sliced a cross from Edwards over his own bar, but the game was destined to finish with honours even.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Golbourne, Edwards, Batth (capt), Stearman, van La Parra (Henry 60), Rowe, Dicko (Sagbo 90+2), McDonald, Sako.

Unused subs: McCarey, Saville, Clarke, Ebanks-Landell, Jacobs.

Booking: Sako (54 – foul).

Wigan: Marshall, Perch (capt), Ramis, Barnett, Taylor, Kvist (Forshaw 57), Cowie, Maloney, McClean (McManaman 84), Huws, Fortune (Delort 74).

 Unused subs: Al Habsi, Tavernier, Riera, Kiernan.

Bookings: Ramis (17 – foul), Huws (21 – foul), Kvist (40 – foul), McManaman (88 – foul). 

Referee: A. Davies.

Attendance: 21,288.

Manchester United Academy Under 18s 2 Wolves 0


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.