Skip to main content


22:40 8th October 2013

Cup Exit After Shoot-Out Disappointment

Wolves 0

Notts County 0

County win penalty shoot-out 3-1

For the second successive Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie Wolves were taken to a penalty shoot-out. But after winning through against Walsall in the last round, this time the Molineux men weren’t so lucky and they lost the spot kick conclusion by 3-1 after 90 goalless minutes against Notts County.

Kenny Jackett made four changes to the side that had beaten Colchester at the weekend with Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Jake Cassidy, Kevin Foley and George Elokobi coming in for Danny Batth, Kevin Doyle, Samuel Ricketts and Matt Doherty.

County kicked-off attacking the South Bank end but the first threat came from Wolves as Cassidy rifled a 22-yard drive a fraction wide.

The visitors hit back with a Jamal Campbell-Ryce free-kick that was headed over by Joss Ladabe and a low shot from Adam Coombes that was beaten away by Carl Ikeme.

The keeper came to the rescue once again in the 14th minute as he reacted quickly to turn aside Yoann Arquin’s shot after the County man got on the end of a quickly taken free-kick. 

Mark Fotheringham went into the book after tripping Leigh Griffiths some 25-yards out from the County goal. Griffiths took the free-kick himself but his effort was a foot too high.

A long-range Campbell-Ryce shot flew narrowly wide before Wanderers won the first corner of the game in the 24th minute. New signing James Henry took the flag-kick but Ebanks-Landell’s header was too high to trouble Fabian Spiess in the County goal.

There was little to inspire the small crowd with chances for either side few and far between although Fotheringham went close with an angled drive that just beat the far post.

Then a Griffiths corner flew through the County six-yard box but no-one got a touch and the ball drifted out of play on the far side.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 County 0

Björn Sigurdarson replaced Elokobi at the start of the new half which was just 25 seconds old when Coombes raced through the middle and forced another fine save from Ikeme. Scott Golbourne moved back from midfield to defence.

County threatened again after 54 minutes as Arquin found himself one on one with Ikeme. The keeper won the battle although the loose ball ran to Coombes but he was dispossessed by Ebanks-Landell before he could take advantage.  

A minute later Dean Leacock glanced a header just wide after a Campbell-Ryce corner.

Liam McAlinden replaced Cassidy in the 62nd minute and he was soon in the thick of things as he hit a shot on the turn over the bar after running onto a short pass from Kevin McDonald.

Golbourne’s cross cum shot from was turned away from in front of the line by Gary Liddle and then Griffiths curled a free-kick into the side netting 

A 25-yard shot from Andre Boucaud was deflected inches wide but neither keeper was troubled in the final 20 minutes until, in stoppage time, Spiess just beat Henry to Jack Price’s through ball.

Griffiths got the penalty shoot-out off to a good start but then it all went wrong for Wolves as Sigurdarson and Foley both shot over the bar and Henry had his effort saved by Spiess whilst Danny Haynes, Ladabie and Fotheringham were all successful with their kicks to send County through.

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, Elokobi (Sigurdarson 45), Price, Ebanks-Landell, Stearman (capt), Henry, McDonald, Griffiths, Cassidy (McAlinden 62), Golbourne. 

Unused subs: Batth, Davis, Flatt.

County: Spiess, Dumbuya, Liddle, Leacock (capt), Coombes, Arquin (Howarth 80), Labadie, Campbell-Ryce (Haynes 72) , Thompson, Fotheringham, Boucaud.

Unused subs: Bialkowski, Smith, Holt.

Booking: Fotheringham (15 – foul).

Referee: A. D’Urso.

Attendance: 7,166.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.