Skip to main content


22:00 29th March 2014

Reward For Travelling Army

MK Dons 0

Wolves 1 (McAlinden 81)

A late goal from substitute Liam McAlinden, his first in the League for the club, was enough to give Wolves victory over MK Dons in front of a vast travelling army of supporters.

Kenny Jackett made two changes to the side that had beaten Colchester in midweek with Nouha Dicko and Jack Price coming in for Leon Clarke and Lee Evens who both took a place on the bench.

The Dons kicked-off attacking the end of the ground that housed a sea of gold and black.

There was an early chance for James Henry but his effort took a deflection and went over and then Michael Jacobs was wide with a low shot from 20-yards.

Home keeper David Martin cut out a Dicko cross as Dave Edwards slid in, and at the other end Carl Ikeme confidently held on to a drive from Dean Bowditch.

Richard Stearman took a knock which required off field treatment before he was able to continue and then Antony Kay was booked for a heavy challenge on Kevin McDonald.

Jacobs was caught out by the offside flag as he attempted to get on the end of a Dicko cross, and Bowditch hit a dipping shot that was too high when the Dons next threatened.

In the 38th minute, Jacobs went on one of his foraging runs that took him to the edge of the box before Dean Lewington dispossessed him, and then the former Derby man shot straight at Martin after Danny Batth, Henry and Dicko had combined to set up the chance.

In stoppage time Dicko’s shot was deflected over after Batth had dispatched a through ball.

Half-Time: MK Dons 0 Wolves 1

The second half started with Martin saving a flick from Dicko and Ikeme just beating James Loveridge to a long through ball.

George Baldock headed clear a Henry free kick after Jacobs had been fouled before, in the 57th minute, Ikeme was forced into his first real save of the afternoon as he dived full length to turn away a Bowditch free kick after Batth had fouled Loveridge.

Martin just beat Edwards to Dicko’s nod down before a double change saw McAlinden and Clarke take the places of Jack Price and Dicko.

Both replacements were soon involved with Henry heading wide after a McAlinden cross and Clarke lifting a short centre over as he ran in from the right.

Home substitute Sanmi Odelusi became the focus of attention after a he had blazed an angled shot over the bar. In the 78th minute he was booked for a foul on Scott Golbourne and just a minute later he caught the same player and was shown a second yellow followed by a red.

From the free-kick conceded, wide on the left and taken by Henry, the Dons defence struggled to clear their lines and when the ball went out to the far side it was returned into the box by McDonald and McAlinden ran in to plant a header into the corner of the net (pictured).

There was little to trouble the visitors and Ikeme didn’t have a worthwhile save to make in the dying minutes.

MK Dons: Martin, Lewington (capt), Bowditch (Galloway 82), Smith, Alli, Powell, Baldock, Spence, Kay, Loveridge (Rasulo 73), Kennedy (Odelusi 58).

Unused subs: Burns, Randall, Hall.

Bookings: Kay (28 – foul), Odelusi (78 – foul).

Sending-Off: Odelusi (79 – foul, second bookable offence).

Wolves: Ikeme, Golbourne, Ricketts (capt), McDonald, Batth, Stearman, Henry, Price (McAlinden 61), Dicko (Clarke 61), Edwards, Jacobs.

Unused subs: McCarey, Elokobi, Davis, Evans, Ebanks-Landell.

Referee: K. Wright.

Attendance: 20,516 (8,943 away supporters).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.