Skip to main content


23:57 25th March 2014

Wolves Hold On After Fight Back

Wolves 4 (Jacobs 1, Edwards 26, Henry 43, Dicko 90+4)

Colchester United 2 (Gilby 58, Wright 72)

After dominating the opening half and taking a three goal lead into the interval, Wolves were hit by a Colchester revival at Molineux and there were some nervy moments after the Essex side reduced the deficit to just one before substitute Nouha Dicko settled matters with virtually the last kick of the game.

Samuel Ricketts had returned in place of Matt Doherty in an otherwise unchanged Wanderers side.

Wolves kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and they made a perfect start to the game taking the lead after just 50 seconds. 

A Scott Golbourne throw-in, near the left hand corner flag, went to James Henry and he laid the ball back to Michael Jacobs who delivered a cross that deceived Sam Walker and went into the net with Dave Edwards running across the keeper’s path in a similar fashion to that of when Henry scored at Sheffield United in the previous game.

Wolves continued to pour forward and Craig Eastmond blocked a Henry shot after a cross from Golbourne before a great through ball from Lee Evans fell nicely for Jacobs whose shot was blocked by Walker. The loose ball ran to Evans but his effort went over the bar.

Walker made a great catch under pressure from Leon Clarke after another Golbourne cross as Wolves continued to control the attacking play.

But it took an athletic save from Carl Ikeme to preserve his side’s advantage after a Kevin McDonald slammed a clearance into the back of the referee - much to the amusement of the crowd. But the smiles soon faded as Magnus Okuonghae grabbed possession and hit a shot that was going in until Ikeme fingertipped the ball over the bar.

Walker made a diving save to deny Henry, and then Eastmond went into the book for a late challenge on Evans.

Macdonald took the ball out of defence and found Evans and he put a great crossfield pass to Henry who cut in from the right and hit a fierce drive that wasn’t too far away.

In the 26th minute Wolves went two up after a mistake by Ryan Dickson whose under hit back pass was pounced on by Edwards who rounded the keeper before calmly slotting the ball into the empty net.

Walker made another good save, this time from a Clarke header and moments later the lofty striker was inches wide of the far post with another header after Macdonald had supplied the centre.

A jinking run from Jacobs took him through several challenges and into the Colchester box. Rather than shooting himself, though, he chose to pass to Clarke only for Eastmond to intercept and boot the ball behind.

A third goal had to come though and it arrived in the 43rd minute. Walker saved Clarke’s low shot but he couldn’t hold on to the ball and Henry was there to roll it over the line (pictured).

In stoppage time Edwards screwed the ball wide after the industrious Jacobs had pumped a cross into the box.

Half-Time: Wolves 3 Colchester 0

Two minutes after the resumption, Walker did well to cut out a Golbourne cross that was heading for Clarke, and then Jacobs went on a magical run from halfway to the edge of the Colchester box,  ghosting past the visiting defence. But, having done the hard work, he then shot wide of the post. 

In the 53rd minute Edwards beat the offside trap after running onto a Macdonald pass but, with the goal at his mercy, he fired wide. He was replaced seconds later by Jack Price.

Colchester then made two changes of their own with Freddie Sears and Clinton Morrison replacing Eastmond and Jabo Ibehre respectively.

After 58 minutes United pulled a goal back as Alex Gilbey gave Ikeme no chance with a header following Dominic Vose’s centre.

Another Colchester change followed with Sammie Szmodics taking the place of Gavin Massey. Gilbey shot over from the edge of the box, and Tom Eastman intercepted as Ricketts tried to take a return pass from Clarke 20-yards out at the other end.

After 72 minutes, a cross from Sears was allowed to run through to David Wright and he made no mistake lashing the ball past Ikeme to make it 3-2.

Kenny Jackett decided to make a double change as he withdrew Clarke and Evans and sent on the French pairing of Bakary Sako and Dicko.

Danny Batth’s header following a Henry corner was only just wide but there was an escape for Wolves in the 85th minute as an angled shot from Gilbey hit the inside of the far post and rebounded to safety.

Alie Sesay and Sako was both booked during a frenetic four added minutes which ended with Sako hitting a deep ball from near his own corner flag into the Colchester half. Dicko was on the ball in a flash and with three defenders for company he ran wide of the keeper and, from an acute angle, slotted home to seal victory.

Wolves: Ikeme, Ricketts, Golbourne, McDonald, Batth (capt), Stearman, Henry, Edwards (Price 54), Clarke (Dicko 76), Evans (Sako 76), Jacobs.

Unused subs: McCarey, Elokobi, McAlinden, Ebanks-Landell.

Bookings: Sako (90+3 – ungentlemanly conduct).

Colchester: Walker, Dickson, Eastman, Okuonghae (capt), Sesay, Eastmond (Sears 55), Gilbey, Wright, Vose, Massey, Ibehre (Morrison 55).

Unused subs: Cousins, Morrison, Sears, Bean, Olufemi, Szmodics, Bonne. 

Bookings: Eastmond (22 – foul), Sesay (90+3 – ungentlemanly conduct). 

Referee: A. Woolmer.

Attendance: 17,014.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.