Skip to main content


18:04 21st December 2013

Honours Even After Christmas Cracker

Rotherham United 3 (Dicko 11, 54, Agard 37)

Wolves 3 (Batth 10, Sako-pen 59, Henry 64)

After taking an early lead, Wolves found themselves trailing Rotherham by 3-1 shortly after the break. But the Molineux men hit back to claim a point on their first visit to the New York Stadium and in the end they had chances to win it.

Jack Price replaced the suspended Kevin McDonald and Björn Sigurdarson came in up front for Leigh Griffiths who was named as a substitute.

Rotherham kicked-off attacking the end of the ground that housed over 2,000 travelling supporters.

In the second minute a Rotherham free-kick was cleared to Bakary Sako and he ran for over half the length of the pitch holding off two challenges before slipping the ball to James Henry. The winger appeared to stumble as he prepared to shoot and so his effort lacked power and was cleared for a corner.

Nouha Dicko, who spent a time on loan with Wolves last season, drove narrowly wide from 22-yards and then he appealed in vain for a penalty as he went down as Danny Batth shepherded the ball out for a goal-kick.

Haris Vuckic fired inches wide after Scott Golbourne had headed out a long throw from Kari Arnason just before Wanderers moved into a tenth minute lead. Wolves were awarded a free-kick 30-yards out and when Henry planted the ball into the middle, Batth stooped to head into the corner of the net.

But just a minute later, the Millers were level. There was an element of luck for Wolves as Ben Pringle’s low cross flew dangerously through the goalmouth. The ball took a deflection as it went behind and from Pringle’s corner Rotherham scored.

Carl Ikeme punched the flag kick out as far as Sako. His clearance fell to Pringle who returned the ball into the box and Dicko ran in to slot it home at the near post.

Dicko almost grabbed a second with an angled volley that wasn’t far away before Mark Bradley missed a sitter as he ran in unmarked and blasted the ball over the bar from 10-yards after Dicko had supplied a low centre.

Ikeme took a Pringle free-kick after Golbourne had been pulled up for a shove on Kieran Agard near the right-hand corner flag, then the keeper made a comfortable save from Vuckic’s long range effort.

Ikeme then dived to save a shot from outside the box from Arnason but the keeper was beaten in the 37th minute as a towering header from Agard that drifted into the far corner of the net after a cross from Pringle.

Sako pulled a shot well wide from 20-yards and, just before the break, Ikeme had to back-peddle to tip the ball over after it had taken a huge deflection off Samuel Ricketts.

Half-Time: Rotherham 2 Wolves 1

Ricketts was shown the yellow card six minutes into the second-half after he had clipped Dicko.

Things took a turn for the worse for the visitors after 54 minutes as the Millers opened up a two goal advantage. Pringle whipped in a cross from the left and Dicko ran in to chest the ball into the net.

But four minutes later, Wolves were handed a lifeline – quite literally. Golbourne floated a free-kick into the box and the referee immediately pointed to the spot indicating that Craig Morgan had handled as the ball went through. Sako make no mistake as he blasted home the spot-kick.

Adam Collin, in the home goal, then did well to claim a driven centre from Henry who had beaten James Tavernier on the side of the Rotherham box.

Griffiths replaced Sigurdarson with the game just beyond the hour mark, and seconds later Ricketts ventured upfield only to shoot over the bar from just outside the box.

Wolves drew level in the 64th minute after Dave Edwards had slipped the ball inside to Henry who ran for 40-yards before planting the ball under Collins in front of the delighted Wolves supporters.

Henry was booked for dissent shortly afterwards and then Kenny Jackett made a second change with David Davis taking the place of Price.

In the 68th minute it looked as if Griffiths was going to give Wolves the lead as he beat the offside trap and ran clear. But, to his dismay, the ball bounced off his knee and ran behind for a goal-kick.

Rotherham were struggling to regain their composure after the Wanderers fight back and after Collin pushed away a 30-yard Sako drive, Henry took possession and, from the corner of the box, chipped the ball onto the roof of the net.

In the 84th minute, a fine crossfield pass from Sako picked out Henry and his dangerous centre was parried by Collin at the near post and cleared by a defender.

David Davis was booked for a foul on Lee Frecklington and Michael Jacobs replaced Henry for the four minutes of stoppage time at the end of a thoroughly entertaining contest.

Rotherham: Collin, Bradley, Arnason, Morgan (capt), C. Davis (O’Connor 77), Tavernier, Agard, Frecklington, Pringle, Vuckic (Revell 74), Dicko.

Unused subs: Shearer, Brindley, Skarz, Worrall, Tidser.

Wolves: Ikeme, Golbourne, Ricketts (capt), Price (Davis 68), Batth, Stearman, Henry (Jacobs 90), Edwards, Sigurdarson (Griffiths 62), Doyle, Sako.

Unused subs: Hennessey, Evans, McAlindon, Ebanks-Landell.

Bookings: Ricketts (51 – foul), Henry (67 – dissent), Davis (87 – foul).

Referee: M. Oliver.

Attendance: 11,092.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.