Skip to main content


19:12 27th April 2013

Hanging By A Thread

Wolves 1 (Dicko 88)

Burnley 2 (Ings 7, Paterson 52)

Wolves’ Championship status was left hanging by a thread after Burnley inflicted a ninth home defeat of the season on them. 

Only a win at Brighton and defeats for Barnsley and Peterborough will be enough to save the Molineux men from the drop and even then Wolves would have to win well and Posh lose heavily to turn around an unfavourable goal difference.

Dean Saunders named an unchanged side for the visit of the Clarets with the fit again Bakary Sako named as a substitute.

Wolves kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and they made a bright start. Kevin Doyle chased a through ball and although Burnley keeper Lee Grant beat him to the ball, the clearance only went as far as Tongo Doumbia. 

From 30-yards he rode a challenge and fired towards goal but Grant had recovered his ground and got back in front of his goal to save.

Then Kieran Trippier cleared a cross but only as far as Karl Henry who returned the ball to the far post where a defender managed to clear as Stephen Hunt closed in for the first of two Björn Sigurdarson corners.

Chris McCann got in Burnley’s first attempt of the afternoon with a drive from 20-yards that took a huge deflection and rolled wide.

But Burnley moved ahead in the seventh minute when Trippier played a short pass to Danny Ings who had his back to goal but still had time to turn and beat Dorus De Vries with a low shot into the far corner from eight-yards.

Dean Marney could have had a second with a free header after a cross from McCann but his effort went over the bar.

A good run by Hunt opened up an opportunity for Doumbia but his long range drive was wide of the far post before Michael Duff was shown the yellow card after fouling Kevin Doyle to the left of the Burnley box. Hunt’s free-kick led to nothing.

The home goal had a miracle escape in the 22nd minute when McCann ran in from the left and fired a low cross that found former Wolf Sam Vokes eight-yards out and in front of goal. The striker looked a certain scorer but De Vries made an incredible save to paw the ball away. 

Still the danger wasn’t over as the ball dropped to Ings who lashed it across the face of the goal before Roger Johnson was finally able to clear.

It looked as if Kaspars Gorkss had headed Wolves level when he met Sigurdarson’s corner at the far post but the defender’s header went into the side netting with some of the crowd up acclaiming a goal (pictured).

After Grant had failed to gather a cross from Stephen Ward, both Doyle and Sigurdarson had close range shots blocked and with supporters urging Doumbia to shoot after a Hunt corner had been headed out to him, the midfielder lost possession as he tried to line up a shot.

Just before the break, Marney was booked for a late challenge on Henry.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Burnley 1

Seven minutes into the second period, Wolves’ problems doubled as Burnley went two up. Ings took a right-wing corner and when the ball was played back to him he hit it low into the six-yard box where it took a deflection and fell to Martin Paterson who turned it over the line.

Vokes almost made it three with a shot that just cleared the bar before a double change by Wolves saw Sako and Nouha Dicko replacing Ward and Sigurdarson respectively.

Hunt was wide with a near post header from a Sako corner before Burnley were reduced to ten men after Duff was shown a second yellow card following another foul on Doyle. Sako’s 25-yard free-kick bounced away off the wall.

Dicko went into the book for a heavy challenge on Danny Lafferty before Liam McAlinden made his senior debut when he replaced Hunt who was given a good ovation as he left the field.

Just two minutes after his introduction, McAlinden was inches away from a sensational start as he took aim and curled a shot inches wide of the far post.

Matt Doherty was yellow carded after a late challenge on Paterson who, within a minute, had recovered and embarked on a 30-yard run before shooting wide of the far post.

Henry was involved in the thick of things at both ends. He wasn’t far off with a first time volley from 20-yards, before he underhit a backpass with De Vries racing from his area and just beating Peterson to the ball to clear.

There was another chance for Wolves when Jack Robinson cut into the area and laid the ball into the path of Sako who hooked wide.

Two minutes from time, Wolves pulled one back. McAlinden set up Robinson who was denied by a good save from Grant. From Sako’s corner, McAlinden hooked the ball into the goalmouth for Dicko to smash the ball home from close range.

Wolves threw everything at the Burnley goal in the four minutes of stoppage time with Doyle hooking narrowly wide after a Sako centre, before Doherty had a shot blocked. But it all ended in disappointment.

Wolves: De Vries, Doherty, Robinson, Henry, Gorkss, Johnson, Hunt (McAlinden 68), Doumbia, Doyle (capt), Sigurdarson (Dicko 58), Ward (Sako 58).

Unused subs: McCarey, Jonsson, Batth, Foley.

Booking: Dicko (68 – foul).

Barnsley: Grant, Paterson (Stanislas 83), McCann, Edgar, Ings, Lafferty, Marney, Vokes (Bartley 90), Trippier, Shackell (capt), Long.

Unused subs: Jensen, Duff, Wallace, Mills, Bartley, Stock.

Bookings: Duff (19 – foul), Marney (45 – foul), Grant (90+2 time wasting).

Sending-Off: Duff: (65 – foul, second bookable offence).

Referee: D. Sheldrake.

Attendance: 24,199.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 1 (Weeks) Stoke City 2


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.