Skip to main content


19:39 29th December 2012

More Molineux Misery

Wolves 0

Ipswich Town 2 (Cresswell 33, Campbell 64)

Following on from the depressing home defeat against Peterborough, Wolves once again failed to deliver as they went down 2-0 to Ipswich in front of a dispirited crowd of over 28,000.

Ståle Solbakken made two changes with Björn Sigurdarson and David Davis coming in for Jermaine Pennant and Tongo Doumbia who were both named as substitutes.

When former manager Mick McCarthy emerged from the tunnel he was given a tremendous reception from all sides of the ground.

There as a moment of drama inside the first two minutes as Kevin Doyle got in front of Luke Chambers in the Town box. Doyle went down when challenged from behind and was clearly incensed when the referee waved away penalty claims.

Within a minute, in Ipswich’s first attack, Lee Martin hooked a shot narrowly wide of the far post and it was Martin again who stung the fingers of Carl Ikeme with a 20-yard drive as the visitors threatened once more.

A long distance Bakary Sako free-kick went through the defensive wall but straight into the arms of Town keeper Stephen Henderson.

Midway through the half, Davis slipped a short pass to Sako who drilled a low shot narrowly wide from just outside the area. 

Then, when a Sako corner was eventually played back to the winger was way off the mark as he tried a first-time, angled shot.

Ipswich moved into the lead in the 33rd minutes through Aaron Cresswell. The home defence failed to clear their lines and when DJ Campbell pushed the ball into the path of Cresswell, he found the corner of the net from 15-yards.

A foul on Sylvan Ebanks-Blake by Chambers 30-yards out presented Sako with another free-kick opportunity and although he got plenty of power behind the ball, it bounced to safety off the wall.

Just before the break, Ebanks-Blake was yellow carded for a challenge on Cresswell.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Ipswich 1 

After just 50 seconds of the new half it took a flying save from Ikeme to keep out a terrific 25-yard shot from Guirane N’Daw.

From Martin’s corner there was a scramble in the home goalmouth before Chambers stabbed the ball wide. Wolves replied with a low cross from Ebanks-Blake that just eluded the incoming Doyle. Campbell then went into the book for a foul on Stephen Ward.

Cresswell fired a low cross that only needed a touch as it went through the heart of Ikeme’s goalmouth but, in the 64th minute, Bradley Orr put Campbell in the clear and the striker made no mistake shooting past the advancing keeper.

Wolves then made a triple substitution with Jamie O’Hara, Doumbia and Pennant replacing Karl Henry, Davis and Doyle respectively.

Martin was booked for a foul on Sigurdarson and, from the free-kick conceded, O’Hara sent a low ball into the box where, at the far post, Roger Johnson could only divert it wide at full stretch.

Wolves were finding it difficult to make any real impression on the Ipswich rearguard and they almost conceded a third goal when Campbell scooped the ball into Ikeme’s arms after a good run by Edwards.

Then, in stoppage time, substitute Nigel Reo-Coker and Michael Chopra combined to split the home defence only for Chopra to then shoot wide of an open goal.  

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, Ward, Davis (Doumbia 67), Johnson, Berra, Sigurdarson, Henry (capt) (O’Hara 67), Ebanks-Blake, Doyle (Pennant 67), Sako.

Unused subs: De Vries, Stearman, Batth, Forde.

Booking: Ebanks-Blake (42 – foul).

Town: Henderson, Cresswell, Chambers, Campbell  (Chopra 82), Edwards (capt), N’Daw, Martin, Drury (Reo-Coker 71), Smith, Orr, Murphy. 

Unused subs: Loach, Higginbotham, Emmanuel-Thomas, Scotland, Hyam.

Bookings: Campbell (49 – foul), Martin (78 – foul).

Referee: D. Drysdale.

Attendance: 28,595.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.