Skip to main content


19:08 24th November 2012

Adlene Adds To The Agony

Wolves 1 (Sigurdarson 6)

Nottingham Forest 2 (Sharp 16, Guedioura 57)

The agony for Wolves continued as they once again slipped to a defeat after taking the lead. And, to rub salt in the wounds, a Molineux old boy, Adlene Guedioura, hit the winner to stretch Wanderers winless sequence to eight games  

There was just one change to the home starting eleven with Kevin Foley returning in defence in place of Richard Stearman who was named as a substitute.

Forest kicked-off attacking the North Bank end on a miserable, wet afternoon at Molineux. In the second minute Elliott Ward’s shove on Kevin Doyle resulted in a free-kick from Bakary Sako from 25-yards that skidded across the surface into the arms of keeper Lee Camp.

Camp then had to field a bouncing, hooked shot from Doyle who had connected with a Sako cross on the edge of the area. 

Wolves moved into a sixth minute lead when Jermaine Pennant’s through ball hit a defender and broke into the path of Bjorn Sigurdarson who scored with a first time drive into the corner of the net.

The Icelandic striker then almost created a second when he struck a low cross that Doyle met with a goalbound shot that struck a defender and bounced clear.

Former Molineux midfielder Guedioura hit a trademark, long-distance piledriver that struck Billy Sharp and sailed harmlessly wide.

But Sharp was all smiles in the 16th minute as he beat the offside trap and advanced on the Wolves area before sliding the ball past Carl Ikeme.

In their next attack Forest almost took the lead as Simon Cox cut into the box from the left and hit a shot that went a matter of inches wide of the far post.

A strong run from Doyle took him deep into Forest territory. He slipped a pass to Sako who ran into the area and checked inside a defender before firing over the far angle.

Twice in a three minute spell, Sharp set up good chances for Cox and twice the former Albion striker shot wastefully over the bar. 

Doyle was yellow carded for a late touchline challenge on Dan Harding before Dave Edwards’s first time effort hit Danny Collins after Sako’s driven cross had been parried by Camp.

Camp saved again moments later after Sako’s corner had been half cleared. Christophe Berra ran wide to gain possession before he turned and crossing low for Sigurdarson to hit a first time shot at the near post that drew a brilliant stop from the Forest keeper.

Henri Lansbury was booked for felling Sako and then the Forest man drew a fine save from Ikeme as he looked like giving the visitors the visitors the lead just before the break.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Forest 1

Ikeme was back in action shortly after the resumption saving Cox’s shot from just inside the box.

In the 57th minute Guedioura shot Forest into the lead with a ferocious effort from 25-yards that flew past Ikeme.

Forest lost the services of Cox after 65 minutes following a tackle from Foley deemed fair by the referee. After treatment on the field, Cox was carried off on a stretcher and replaced by Dexter Blackstock.                 

Ikeme parried and then collected a shot from Sharp before Doyle was reprimanded by the referee for kicking the ball in frustration against the advertising hoarding after he had been pulled up for a foul.

With 15 minutes remaining, boss Ståle Solbakken made a double change sending on Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and David Davis for Pennant and Tongo Doumbia respectively.

Ebanks-Blake just failed to get a toe to a driven cross from Sako that went right across the face of goal as the countdown to the final whistle gathered momentum.

Anthony Forde was Wolves’s final change when he replaced Doyle just before the game drifted into five minutes of stoppage time.

Forde provided the cross from which Sigurdarson headed into the arms of Camp before two Sako corners in quick succession failed to offer any relief for the disappointed crowd.                                                                                                                                           

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, S. Ward, Edwards, Johnson, Berra, Pennant (Ebanks-Blake 75), Doumbia (David 75), Doyle (capt) (Forde 89), Sigurdarson, Sako.

Unused subs: Stearman, Nouble, Batth, De Vries.

Booking: Doyle (42 – foul).

Forest: Camp, Harding, Gillett, Collins (capt), Cohen, Cox (Blackstock 65), Guedioura, Lansbury (Moussi 87), Sharp (Moloney 90+4), Hutton, E. Ward.

Unused subs: McGugan, Darlow, Coppinger, Ayala.

Booking: Lansbury (42 – foul). 

Referee: R. East.

Attendance: 22,527.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.