Skip to main content


21:30 3rd November 2012

No joy in Lancashire.

Burnley 2 (Paterson 18, Austin 53)

Wolves 0

Wolves slipped to a disappointing defeat at Turf Moor falling two goals behind before mounting something of an ultimately fruitless fightback in the closing stages of a mundane contest.

After a Karl Henry shot had drifted well wide, Ross Wallace was an early booking following a foul on Kevin Doyle. But neither side looked particularly dangerous in front of goal until the 18th minute when Burnley took the lead. 

Martin Paterson got behind the Wolves defence to latch onto a Ben Mee pass, and coolly slotted the ball past Carl Ikeme.

A Stephen Ward free kick was cleared before Clarets leading scorer Charlie Austin saw his shot on the turn blocked by Roger Johnson. 

Doyle was beaten to a Jermaine Pennant flick by home keeper Lee Grant and when Burnley went forward again, Dean Marney fired wide of the target.

Marney featured twice more in the dying minutes of the half having a low shot saved by Ikeme before hitting another effort over the bar.

But Wolves also boasted their best effort of the half as the whistle approached, Bakary Sako firing a powerful cross-come-shot across goal which narrowly eluded Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.

Half-Time: Burnley 1 Wolves 0

A tame effort from Austin went harmlessly wide at the start of the new half and then Ikeme had to cut out a cross from Ross Wallace.

Christophe Berra blocked an Austin shot but the Clarets’ hit man headed Burnley into a 2-0 lead having been left unmarked following Wallace’s 53rd minute corner.

A superb run and shot from Sako almost cut the deficit four minutes later but his thunderous effort came back off the post and when Doyle latched onto the rebound, Grant made a diving save.

On the hour mark Tongo Doumbia shot over before Ikeme saved from Austin. Then another Doumbia attempt was wide of the post.

Midway through the half, both sides made changes with Anthony Forde and Dave Edwards replacing Jermaine Pennant and Roger Johnson for Wolves, and Danny Ings for the injured Wallace for the home team.

Wolves pressed hard as the game neared its conclusion and after Grant saved from Ebanks-Blake’s header, Kieran Trippier cleared an inswinging corner from the ever-dangerous Sako.

Sako then fired narrowly wide before Ward was also off target with a header. Deep into stoppage time former Molineux striker Sam Vokes, on a a substitute, shot narrowly wide of the mark. 

Burnley: Grant, Trippier, Duff, Shackell (capt), Edgar, Wallace (Ings 70), Marney (Stanislas 81), Stock, Paterson, Austin (Vokes 90), Mee.

Unused subs: Jensen, Long, Dafferty, Stewart.

Bookings: Wallace (7 – foul), Duff (44 – foul), Mee (76 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, Ward, Henry (capt), Johnson (Edwards 69), Berra, Pennant (Forde 68), Doumbia, Ebanks-Blake, Doyle, Sako.

Unused subs: Stearman, Sigurdarson, Batth, Davis, De Vries.

Bookings: Johnson (57 – foul), Enanks-Blake (81 – foul).

Attendance: 12,954.

Referee: M. Haywood.

Liverpool Under 18s 4 Wolves 2 (Dell, Keita)   


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.