Skip to main content


17:45 20th October 2012

Fruitless Fightback

Huddersfield Town 2 (Vaughan 11, Beckford 27)

Wolves 1 (Ebanks-Blake 63)

Wolves fought back against Huddersfield Town following a below par opening half that saw the Yorkshire side taking a two goal lead. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake pulled one back midway through the second period  and Dave Edwards headed against a post but the point that Wolves deserved, in the end, eluded them.  

There were two changes to the team that had triumphed at Blackburn with new loan signing Jermaine Pennant and the fit again Kevin Doyle coming in for Richard Stearman, who took a place on the bench, and the suspended Karl Henry.

Wolves kicked off defending the end of the ground that housed around 2,500 of their supporters. The visitors enjoyed the best of the opening seconds but the first chance fell to Jermaine Beckford who failed to make proper contact with the ball to the right of Carl Ikeme’s goal. 

But the keeper was beaten in the 11th minute when Jack Hunt raced down the right and crossed for James Vaughan to put Town in front with a header from the far side of the six yard box that landed in the opposite corner of the net.

Bakary Sako’s persistence saw him open up an opportunity for Tongo Doumbia who drilled a low shot narrowly wide from 25 yards out.

Town threatened again through Vaughan whose driven cross through the six yard box was just out of reach of the outstretched foot of Beckford who was penalised shortly afterwards for a challenge on Pennant that left the Wolves man in need of lengthy treatment.

In the 25th minute, Oliver Norwood’s foul on Sako some 25 yards out, almost saw Wolves level. Sako took the free-kick himself and the ball clipped the top of the bar with home keeper Alex Smithies beaten.

Two minutes later Wanderers found themselves two down as Beckford spectacularly despatched a scissors kick on the volley after Adam Clayton had planted a cross into the area.

Sako was inches wide with a low drive from the edge of the box and then Ikeme did well to parry a shot from Beckford with Kevin Foley clearing the loose ball. Vaughan wasn’t too far away with a shot on the turn and then he fired wide of the far post after Norwood had sent in a low cross.

In the minutes leading up to the break Wolves tried hard to put themselves back into contention but a shot from Sako that was comfortably taken by Smithies was the best they could ,manage.

Half-Time: Town 2 Wolves 0

When the teams reappeared, Edwards had taken the place of David Davis. Seconds after the restart Christophe Berra had to concede a corner as Beckford closed in on a through ball.

Danny Ward curled a shot over from 20 yards before Roger Johnson and Vaughan were both shown the yellow card after a brief bout of pushing and shoving in midfield.

Ikeme had to push a free-kick from Ward around the post and then the keeper dived low to cling on to a header from Vaughan

Wolves had been starting to make inroads on the home defence and they pulled a goal back in the 63rd minute when  Ebanks-Blake deftly flicked the ball home at the near post after a low cross from Sako.

There was a chance of an equaliser as Sako then beat his man on the left and cut into the area but rather than crossing he shot wide of the near post.

Ebanks-Blake was fouled by Antony Gerrard as he sprinted into the right of the home box. A defender managed to push the ball out for a corner before Gerrard received a retrospective booking.

Doyle’s near post header after a Sako corner was scrambled away and from a second flag kick the ball was half cleared to Doumbia who, from fully 30 yards out, was a fraction wide. 

Edwards twice in the matter of seconds was close to levelling things. His dipping volley was deflected onto the roof of the net and from Sako’s corner he headed againt the near post. 

Gerrard was booked for tripping Pennant who was running into the home half after a Town corner as Wolves continued to pile on the pressure.

In stoppage time Ebanks-Blake played the ball back to Sako whose shot went straight to Smithies and with the last move of the game, the keeper managed to cling on to Sako’s coner in the heart of a congested goalmouth.

Town: Smithies, Woods (Dixon 90), Norwood (Novak 73), Clarke (capt), Gerrard, Clayton, D. Ward, Vaughan (Lynch 80), Beckford, Southern, Hunt.

Unused subs: Bennett, Scannell, Arfield, Lee.

Bookings: Vaughan (58 – unsporting behaviour), Gerrard (73 – foul), Clayton (85 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, S. Ward, Doumbia, Johnson, Berra, Pennant, Davis (Edwards 45), Ebanks-Blake, Doyle (capt), Sako.

Unused subs: Stearman, Sigurdarson, Zubar, Batth, Forde, De Vries.

Booking: Johnson (58 – unsporting behaviour).

Referee: J. Adcock.

Attendance: 18,012 (2,521 away supporters).

Wolves Under 18s 2 (Keita 2) Chelsea 2


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.