Skip to main content


00:07 22nd June 2012

Silenced By The Rams

Wolves 1 (Doyle 35)
Derby County 1 (Robinson 90+3)
A goal from Derby substitute Theo Robinson deep into stoppage time gave Nigel Clough’s side a point just as Wolves looked on for a second successive win.
Carl Ikeme, with a string of superb saves, had kept the home side in it after Kevin Doyle’s 35th minute opener. But the keeper stood no chance as Robinson pounced after the defence failed to clear a corner.
Wolves started the game attacking the South Bank end but Ikeme’s goal was under threat inside the first minute. Craig Bryson’s low cross fell to Jamie Ward and as he was challenged by Roger Johnson the ball ballooned over the bar. Johnson then headed clear Paul Coutts’s corner.
There was a difficult chance for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake as he turned on to Doyle’s nod on, but from a tight angle he fired wide of the near post. But the striker was a lot closer in the 11th minute after Doyle helped on David Davis’s cross as he smashed a close range shot against the bar. When he got a head to the rebound, the ball took a deflection as it went over the bar.
It took an excellent save from Ikeme to maintain parity four minutes later as he got down smartly to hold Conor Sammon’s drive after the Derby man had been played through by Jamie Ward.
County continued to press and when Christophe Berra’s clearing header fell to Ward, his shot was brilliantly turned onto the post by Ikeme.
Will Hughes was tackled by Dave Edwards as he shot at goal. The referee awarded a free-kick just outside the box and Hughes’s free kick went round the wall and was beaten away by Ikeme, who couldn’t have seen the ball until the last second, with Roger Johnson completing the clearance.
Tongo Doumbia, who had been off the field for several minutes suffering a nose bleed, returned as Wolves battled to quell a string of Derby attacks.
It was somewhat against the run of play that Ståle Solbakken’s team took a 35th minute lead. Ebanks-Blake fed Kevin Doyle who, in turn, slipped a pass to Edwards. His low cross was cleverly flicked on by Slawomir Peszco to Doyle who slipped the ball past County keeper Frank Fielding.
When Ronald Zubar’s misplaced pass was intercepted it almost led to an equalising goal with Sammon seeing his shot pushed away by Ikeme after a three man build up.
Half-Time: Wolves 1 County 0

Three minutes into the new half, skipper Stephen Ward played a one-two with Doyle as he ran into the Derby area. Ward took the ball to the by-line and delivered a low cross that needed just a touch for a second goal, but the ball flew to safety on the far side.
Edwards headed wide after a cross from Peszko before Ikeme was again called into action when he beat away a shot from Ward who had been set up by Sammon.
A great flick on by Ebanks-Blake set Peszko away on the left. The Pole sprinted into the box but his cross took a deflection and was cleared.
Then, from an Edwards corner, the ball went to the unmarked Zubar who headed over the bar from an acute angle.
After Anthony Forde had replaced Davis in the home midfield, Derby went close again when Richard Keogh’s bullet header cleared the bar by a matter if inches after Coutts had lifted a free kick into the box.
Ikeme cut out Ward’s driven cross at the near post, and when Forde picked out Peszko, he beat one man as he ran into the Derby box before being dispossessed.
George Elokobi, for Edwards, and Eggert Jonsson for Doumbis, were Wolves changes either side of a shot from Derby substitute Robinson that was deflected behind for a corner.
It was all Derby as the game approached its conclusion and after Ikeme had made another fine stop, this time from Bryson, came the corner that led to Derby’s late, late leveller.
Michael Jacob’s flag kick was headed out of the box but only as far as Bryson who slipped the ball to Jeff Hendrick and he helped it on for Robinson to score from close range.
Wolves: Ikeme, Zubar, S. Ward (capt), Davis (Forde 58), Johnson, Berra, Peszko, Doumbia (Jonsson 86), Ebanks-Blake, K. Doyle, Edwards (Elokobi 76).
Unused subs: Stearman, Sigurdarson, Nouble, De Vries.
County: Fielding, Brayford, Roberts, Bryson, O’Connor, Keogh, Coutts (Jacobs 80), Hendrick, Hughes (Tyson 68), J. Ward, Sammon (Robinson 80).
Unused subs: Legzdins, C. Doyle, Gjokaj, Freeman.
Referee: J. Moss.
Attendance: 21,861.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.