Skip to main content


17:48 24th March 2012

Holt Double Thwarts Wolves

Norwich City 2 (Holt 26, 45+1-pen)

Wolves 1 (Jarvis 25)

Wolves remained stranded at the bottom of the Barclays Premier League despite an improved performance against Norwich City. Matt Jarvis gave the visitors the lead but a Grant Holt double condemned Wanderers to a fourth consecutive defeat.

Terry Connor made three changes to the team that was soundly beaten by Manchester United. Ronald Zubar was suspended, David Davis was ruled out through injury and Kevin Foley took a seat on the bench.

In came Eggert Jonsson, Michael Kightly and Roger Johnson as the manager opted for a 4-4-2 formation. Such was the injury situation at Molineux, that two of the club's young professionals - Johnny Gorman and Jack Price - were named as substitutes.

Carrow Road was packed as City kicked-off on a bright spring afternoon with the 1,300 travelling contingent housed in a corner opposite the main stand.

Inside the first minute a low cross from Jarvis was cleared only as far as Stephen Ward who shot well wide of the mark.

A minute later a Kightly free-kick was headed goalwards by Kevin Doyle and home keeper John Ruddy needed two attempts before he had the ball under control just in front of his line.

Jonny Howson and Wes Hoolahan both had shots blocked in quick succession and as the Wolves defence failed to clear their lines, Wayne Hennessey had to block with his legs to deny Simeon Jackson.

In the tenth minute Kightly had to clear a Zak Whitbread header off the line following David Fox's corner and then a Jarvis centre was just too high for Stephen Fletcher who had played the winger in on the overlap.

Wolves took the lead in the 25th minute after Kightly had drilled a low shot into the box. Doyle managed to divert the ball into the path of Jarvis and he curled a low shot into the net from ten-yards out (pictured).

But, just a minute after the restart, Norwich were back on level terms. Jackson hoisted a pass into the path of Holt and he lobbed the ball over Hennessey before running on to nod it over the line.

A low cross from Kightly was only cleared with difficulty by the home defence and then the midfielder drove a fierce shot wide of the near post.

In first-half stoppage time Norwich took the lead from the spot after a Holt shot was blocked by Stephen Ward. The ball ran to Simon Lappin and he pulled it back into the path of Hoolahan whose shot struck the arm of Jonsson.

The Icelander was booked before Holt slotted the penalty straight down the middle as Hennessey dived to the right.

Half-Time: Norwich 2 Wolves 1

Kyle Naughton, an interval replacement for Lappin, almost conjured up a third for City when he laid a perfect pass into the path of Jackson who, fortunately for Wolves, overran the ball allowing Hennessey to save.

There was a chance for Wolves when a centre from Stephen Ward fell to Jarvis. He turned and shot but the ball took a deflection off Whitbread and went behind for what was an unproductive corner.

Sebastien Bassong just beat Holt to a teasing cross from Russell Martin and, from the corner conceded and taken by Fox, the ball fell to Howson who worked a shooting position for himself before lifting a shot over the bar.

Johnson was booked after a tangle with Holt who was also yellow carded. Wolves then made two changes with Nenad Milijaš and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake replacing Jonsson and Doyle respectively.

Norwich continued to have the best of the chances and after Hoolahan's cross rolled just in front of Holt, Hennessey had to race from his area to beat Jackson to the ball as he homed in on goal.

Hennessey made a fine save in keeping out a 20-yard effort from Howson, and, when Wolves went in search of an equaliser, Jarvis's drive was deflected into the side netting.

In the 85th minute, Holt clattered into Kightly and was shown a second yellow and then the red by the referee.

Gorman made his debut when he came on for Kightly just before the end as Wolves laid siege to the City goal.

Whitbread fouled Milijaš in the 'D' but Ebanks-Blake's shot bounced off the wall as did Milijaš's follow up. Then a Stephen Ward cross was cut out by his namesake Elliott at the near post.

From Milijaš's corner the ball was half cleared to Jarvis but again, with every Norwich man back in the area, the effort was blocked.

Seconds from the end of the four minutes stoppage time, Milijaš was wide of the mark from 25-yards.

Canaries: Ruddy, Martin, Whitbread, Holt (capt), Jackson (Morison 69), Hoolahan, Fox, Bennett (Surman 66), Lappin (Naughton 45), E. Ward, Howson.

Unused subs: Steer, B. Johnson, Crofts, Wilbraham.

Booking: Holt (63 - unsporting behaviour).

Sending-Off: Holt (84 - foul - second bookable offence).

Wolves: Hennessey, Stearman, S. Ward, Edwards, Bassong, R. Johnson (capt), Kightly (Gorman 89), Jonsson (Milijaš 65), Doyle (Ebanks-Blake 65), Fletcher, Jarvis.

Unused subs: De Vries, Berra, Foley, Price.

Bookings: Jonsson (45 - handball), R. Johnson (63 - unsporting behaviour).

Referee: M. Clattenburg.

Attendance: 26,752.

Crewe Alexander Under 18s 0 Wolves 4 (Ifil, Kellerman, Moli, Ismail).

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.