Skip to main content


17:57 31st December 2011

Fletch At It Again In Third Successive D

Bolton 1 (Rickett 22)

Wolves 1 (Fletcher 49)

Wolves chalked up their third draw in succession when they came from behind to take a point from Bolton at The Reebok Stadium. It was Bolton's first share of the spoils for 27 games.

The injury to Ronald Zubar and controversial suspension of Nenad Milijaš meant a change in both full-back positions with Richard Stearman and George Elokobi coming in and Stephen Ward moving into central midfield.

The other change saw Sylvan Ebanks-Blake partnering Steven Fletcher up front as Mick McCarthy opted for a 4-4-2 formation with Academy graduate Anthony Forde making way.

Wolves kicked-off defending the end of the ground that housed around 2,500 of their supporters.

There was little goalmouth action in the early stages with the first real threat coming from Wolves when Fletcher back-heeled the ball for Stephen Hunt to deliver a low cross that was hacked clear by Zak Knight before Ebanks-Blake could take advantage.

Christophe Berra had to turn a David Ngog cross behind for a corner and then Wayne Hennessey dived onto a low shot from the former Liverpool winger.

Jussi Jaaskelainen was at full stretch to push away a 20-yard drive from Fletcher after Ebanks-Blake had nodded down a long through ball. Hunt latched onto the loose ball but his driven cross was hooked clear.

Stearman blocked Ivan Klasnic's path to goal after a short through ball from Ngog with Roger Johnson completing the clearance.

But Bolton moved into the lead on 22 minutes when Sam Ricketts cut between two defenders and found the far corner of the net from just outside the area.

Three minutes later, from a similar run and position, Martin Petrov had the chance of a second for Bolton but Hennessey got down low to save.

Petrov figured again with a 20-yard volley that wasn't far off, before the woodwork denied Wolves a 34th minute equaliser.

A Hunt corner had been headed out to Karl Henry and he nodded the ball into the path of Ward who struck a great shot that smacked against the crossbar before being cleared.

Shortly before the break, Hennessey saved a bouncing shot from Klasnic after Petrov had set up the chance.

Half-Time: Bolton 1 Wolves 0

There was a tactical switch as the start of the new half with David Edwards replacing Elokobi and Ward moving into the left-back slot.

And a bright start saw Wolves pulling level inside four minutes of the resumption. After he was fouled by Ngog to the right of the home area, Hunt took the resultant free-kick. It was punched clear by Jaaskelainen to the far side where Ricketts barged Fletcher off the ball.

This time Matt Jarvis took the free-kick and a superb delivery was rewarded as Fletcher headed in at the far post (pictured).

It took a magnificent save from the in-form Hennessey to stop Bolton moving back into the lead after 55 minutes. Petrov pulled back Gretar Steinsson's cross to Fabrice Muamba whose shot bounced just on front of the Welsh keeper who somehow got down to beat the ball away.

Berra booted clear a hard, low centre from Petrov before Fletcher, who appeared to have taken a slight knock, was replaced by Kevin Doyle.

The striker soon had a chance but his shot hit Ebanks-Blake and cannoned wide of the post.

In the 73rd minute, from a Petrov corner, Steinsson connected with a bullet header from just eight-yards out but once again Hennessey saved the day with anther tremendous effort.

Tuncay was a home replacement for Klasnic and Berra needed treatment after an accidental clash of heads with the Bolton man shortly after his introduction.

The action was fast and furious and Jaaskelainen was fortunate when a Doyle header bounced clear off his legs following a Hunt cross.

Ward was wide with a far post header after a Jarvis corner, and five minutes from time another corner from the winger was almost headed into his own goal by Tuncay but one time Molineux junior, Mark Davies, cleared off the line.

The last chance fell to Doyle but Jaaskelainen was quickly off his line to block and then knock the ball away as Doyle tried to regain control.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Cahill (capt), Muamba, Petrov, Knight, M. Davies, Klasnic (Tuncay 77), Ricketts, Reo-Coker, Ngog (K. Davies 88).

Unused subs: Bogdan, Robinson, Eagles, Wheater, O'Halloran.

Wolves: Hennessey, Stearman, Elokobi (Edwards 45), Ward, Berra, Johnson (capt), Jarvis, Henry, Fletcher (Doyle 68), Ebanks-Blake, Hunt (Foley 82).

Unused subs: De Vries, Hammill, Doherty, Guedioura.

Referee: M. Clattenburg.

Attendance: 20,354.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.