Skip to main content


23:09 20th December 2011

All Square After A Thriller

Wolves 2 (Ebanks-Blake 37, Zubar 81)

Norwich City 2 (Surman 12, Jackson 76)

A game that started slowly for Wolves finished in a frenzy as Mick McCarthy's men went flat out for a winner against Norwich after the two sides had shared four goals.

A marginal offside decision, albeit a correct one, in stoppage time ruled out what looked like a winner for Steven Fletcher and then substitute Adam Hammill had a close range header saved when he too looked on for a winner.

There was an early surprise with the news that Kevin Doyle was only named as a substitute with Sylvan Ebanks-Blake coming in to make only his second League start of the campaign.

City, with two former Molineux midfielders, Andy Surman and Elliott Bennett in their 16, kicked-off attacking the North Bank end. The first chance fell to Wolves in the fourth minute after Stephen Hunt had been tripped by Marc Tierney wide on the right.

Fletcher touched the free-kick to Hunt and his cross found Ebanks-Blake who looked odds on to score until Russell Martin threw himself across to block and clear.

Wayne Hennessey was called into action when he had to dive full length to turn away an angled drive from Steve Morison who had run into the left channel of the home area.

But The Canary's moved ahead in the 12th minute with 'old boy' Surman the man on target with a firm header after a cross Wes Hoolahan.

Surman was at it again two minutes later with another header that Hennessey managed to cling onto.

A combination of Stephen Ward and Roger Johnson hustled Morison off the ball when he looked odds on for a second for the East Anglian side.

A driven cross from Ebanks-Blake was punched out by City keeper John Ruddy but Hunt squandered a good opportunity by firing over from eight-yards after the ball had dropped at his feet.

On 23 minutes Morison headed straight at Hennessey after a centre from Tierney and then Hoolahan volleyed narrowly over the angle from 25-yards out.

The evening got a little gloomier as Ronald Zubar, for catching Grant Holt as he attempted to clear, and Hunt, for clipping Tierney's heels off the ball, were both shown the yellow card.

But then Wanderers started to get their game together and after Fletcher had headed a Karl Henry cross down to him, Ebanks-Blake sent a stinging drive inches over the bar.

Wolves drew level in the 37th minute after Matt Jarvis had sent Ward away on the overlap. He hit a low cross that hit Martin and rolled to Ebanks-Blake and although the striker didn't make proper contact, the ball rolled between two defenders and the flat footed keeper over the line (pictured).

Kyle Naughton went into the book for a blatant body check on Ward and the half finished with Fletcher just failing to control a driven cross from Zubar.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Norwich 1

Three minutes after the restart, Fletcher was wide of the far post with an attempted chip after Hunt had laid the ball off for him.

At the other end Holt missed a sitter as Morison's knock down left him with just Hennessey to beat. To the relief of the fans behind the goal he succeeded only at lobbing the ball gently into the keeper's arms.

On the our mark Hennessey had to show a little more agility to hold a shot from Surman who had been set up by Holt.

Fletcher was only just too high with a tremendous shot from just outside the box and then Ruddy was lucky that the ball fell to one of his team-mates after he failed to hold on to a low drive from Jarvis.

Hennessey made another flying save, this time from Hoolahan and then Ruddy saved a bouncing header from Ebanks-Blake after a superb cross from Ward.

With a quarter-of-an-hour remaining, both sides made changes with Hammill replacing Hunt and, for the visitors, Bradley Johnson and Simeon Jackson took the places of David Fox and Holt for Norwich.

Against the run of play, within two minutes of his introduction, Jackson had the easiest of tasks in knocking the ball over the line after Morison had delivered a low cross.

It took Wolves just five minutes to pull level when Zubar headed home following an 81st minute corner from Nenad Milijaš.

It was all Wolves now and Johnson sent a towering header wide of the far post after another Milijaš corner.

In stoppage time Fletcher tucked away a low centre from Jarvis and Molineux erupted for a few seconds until the crowd realised the offside flag had been raised.

There were still chances and after Hammill's header had been saved by Ruddy, Milijaš hit a ferocious long-range shot a yard wide.

Wolves: Hennessey, Zubar, Ward, Milijaš, Berra, R. Johnson (capt), Jarvis, Henry, Fletcher, Ebanks-Blake (Doyle 80), Hunt (Hammill 75).

Unused subs: Elokobi, Stearman, De Vries, Guedioura, Forde.

Bookings: Zubar (30 - foul), Hunt (32 - foul).

Norwich: Ruddy, Martin, Morison, Whitbread, Crofts, Holt (capt) (Jackson 75), Surman, Hoolahan (Bennett 88), Fox (B. Johnson 75), Tierney, Naughton.

Unused subs: Rudd, Pilkington, Barnett, Wilbraham.

Bookings: Naughton (39 - foul), Martin (72 - dissent).

Referee: C. Foy.

Attendance: 27,067.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.