Skip to main content


19:04 17th December 2011

Hunt Penalty Cancelled Out

Wolves 1 (Hunt-pen 16)

Stoke City 2 (Doyle-OG 58, Crouch 70)

A controversial equaliser and a winning goal from Peter Crouch gave Stoke an early Christmas present of three points after Wolves appeared to have things under control going into the break ahead thanks to a Stephen Hunt penalty.

With David Edwards and Jamie O'Hara both ruled out through injury, Hunt and Nenad Milijaš came in as their replacements.

City kicked-off attacking the North Bank end but Wolves were soon on the attack with Thomas Sorensen punching clear a cross from Karl Henry.

In the third minute Ronald Zubar prodded the ball a foot wide after he had connected with a low cross from Matt Jarvis, and then three long throw-ins from Ryan Shotton tested the home defence with Wayne Hennessey clinging onto the third of them.

Jonathan Woodgate was booked for a cynical foul on Jarvis who had been giving the former England defender a torrid time on Wolves' left flank.

Jon Walters fired high over the bar before Wolves moved into a 17th minute lead from the penalty spot. Woodgate fouled Jarvis as the winger cut into the area and although Sorensen guessed correctly as he dived to his right, Hunt's spot-kick was beyond his reach.

Shortly afterwards Woodgate, perhaps fortunate not to have picked up a second yellow following the penalty incident, was withdrawn with Jermaine Pennant taking his place.

A lovely lay off by Hunt sent Kevin Doyle away on the right but Hunt was crowded out at the near post as he tried to reach the low cross that followed.

Henry made a timely intervention as he headed the ball behind with Crouch stationed right behind him trying to get on the end of Pennant's centre.

Hunt almost conjured up a second when the ball broke to him in the area. Sorensen managed to block his angled shot and when the ball rebounded to the Irishman, the keeper caught his short cross.

Matthew Etherington missed an easy chance when he met Shotton's cross and shot straight at Hennessey, and then Christophe Berra just managed to head behind a centre from Walters with Crouch, once again, ready to pounce.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Stoke 0

Seconds after the restart, a Hunt corner was cleared upfield to Etherington who raced into the home box only to be denied by a fine tackle from Zubar.

Milijaš was booked after a late challenge on Walters and after Walters had recovered he headed wide of the far post after a centre from Etherington.

Then it was the turn of Ryan Shawcross to see yellow for a trip on Doyle.

A Stephen Ward throw was helped into the area by Jarvis and when Steven Fletcher nodded the ball down to Hunt, he hit a shot that was curling inside the far post until Sorensen got down low to save.

But a Roger Johnson challenge on Walters led to Stoke pulling level in the 58th minute. The Wolves skipper looked to have won the ball but the referee thought otherwise and Robert Huth's low free-kick hit Doyle, who was stationed on the end of the wall, and the ball was deflected into the opposite corner.

Milijaš was way too high with a long-range effort before Dean Whitehead went into the book for a rash aerial challenge on Berra.

Zubar was wide with a low shot from 20-yards and Berra caught Whitehead as he attempted to clear a Wolves attack to earn the Scot a yellow card.

Hennessey had to fingertip over a rising drive from Etherington but the keeper was beaten in the 70th minute as Crouch nodded in at the far post following an Etherington cross.

Mick McCarthy made a double change with 15 minutes remaining as he sent on Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Adlene Guedioura for Doyle and Milijaš.

Ebanks-Blake headed over from a Hunt corner before Hammill became the final switch for Wolves when he replaced Hunt.

City defended in depth in the dying minutes snuffing out any hopes of a late equaliser for the home team.

Wolves: Hennessey, Zubar, Ward, Milijaš (Guedioura 75), Berra, Johnson (capt), Jarvis, Henry, Fletcher, Doyle (Ebanks-Blake 75), Hunt (Hammill 79).

Unused subs: Elokobi, Stearman, De Vries, Forde.

Bookings: Milijaš (50 - foul), Berra (67 - foul).

Stoke: Sorensen, Huth, Whelan, Wilson (Palacios 86), Shawcross (capt), Whitehead, Walters, Crouch, Etherington (Fuller 87), Shotton, Woodgate (Pennant 19).

Unused subs: Begovic, Jones, Upson, Jerome.

Bookings: Woodgate (9 - foul), Shawcross (51 - foul), Whitehead (63 - foul).

Referee: A. Taylor.

Attendance: 24,681.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 4 (Dell 2, McAlinden 2) Everton 1

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.