Skip to main content


18:00 10th December 2011

Old Trafford Backlash

Manchester United 4 (Nani 17, 56, Rooney 27, 62)

Wolves 1 (Fletcher 47)

Wolves felt the backlash of Manchester United's Champions League exit as the reigning Barclays Premier League Champions ran out as comfortable 4-1 winners against a Molineux side unable to build on Steven Fletcher's goal shortly after the interval.

Karl Henry returned after his one game suspension in the place of Stephen Hunt who was named as a substitute. The other change to Mick McCarthy's starting line-up saw Roger Johnson returning in the place of the injured Jody Craddock.

United kicked-off defending the Stretford End but it was Wolves that had the first chance of the game after just 25 seconds when Kevin Doyle laid the ball into the path of Fletcher who fired wide from 25-yards out.

United responded with a low cross-shot from Nani that went right through the six-yard box and out for a goal-kick on the other side.

In the seventh minute Michael Carrick sent a flying header narrowly over following a centre from Antonio Valencia, then Wayne Hennessey had to dive full length to cling on to a Wayne Rooney effort from just outside the box.

There was another chance for Rooney when he won a challenge with Henry but Hennessey got his fingertips to the ball and turned it behind for a corner.

United took the lead in the 17th minute when Nani ran past three Wolves men on the edge of the boxbefore turning and hitting a low shot into the corner of the net.

Ten minutes later it was two as Rooney found the time and space to beat Hennessey from inside the 'D'.

Dave Edwards was clearly struggling with injury and he was replaced by Nenad Miljaš after 32 minutes.

Hennessey made another save to deny Rooney and Fletcher's head back into the danger zone after a Matt Jarvis cross was cleared by the United defence.

In first half stoppage time, a Jarvis corner was punched out by David De Gea and Jamie O'Hara's follow up bounced clear off a defender.

Half-Time: United 2 Wolves 0

Two minutes after the restart Fletcher reduced the deficit with a powerful header following a deep cross from Jarvis.

But there was another chance for United when Phil Jones delivered a cross that just eluded the outstretched foot of Danny Welbeck.

On 57 minutes United restored their two goal advantage as Nani gave Hennessey no chance as he turned home a cross from Valencia.

Hennessey saved from Jonny Evans and then Valancia drove wide as United looked to press home their advantage and in the 62nd minute Rooney did that as he tucked the ball away after another centre from Valancia.

De Gea was well positioned to save a low shot from Milijaš who had been set up by Doyle, and then Hennessey made a good save from Welbeck who had jinked himself into a scoring position.

O'Hara had a shot saved by De Gea shortly before he was replaced by Hunt.

Wolves were trying hard to cut United's lead and De Gea saved a Fletcher header before Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was sent on in place of the Scottish striker.

There was a chance for Hunt when he volleyed a Jarvis cross towards goal but Evans managed to block. But at that stage there was no way back for Wanderers.

United: De Gea, Evra (capt) (Fryers 67), Jones, Ferdinand, Evans, Rooney, Smalling, Carrick, Nani (Young 77), Welbeck (Macheda 74), Valencia.

Unused subs: Giggs, Park, Gibson, Lindegaard.

Booking: Ferdinand (90 - foul).

Wolves: Hennessey, Zubar, Ward, Edwards (Milijaš 32), Berra, Johnson (capt), Jarvis, O'Hara (Hunt 71), Fletcher (Ebanks-Blake 77), Doyle Henry.

Unused subs: Elokobi, Stearman, Hammill, De Vries.

Referee: M. Oliver.

Attendance: 75,627.

Manchester City Academy Under 18s 6 Wolves 1 (Ismail)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.