Skip to main content


15:07 27th August 2011

Villa Park Stalemate

Aston Villa 0

Wolves 0

Wolves extended their early season unbeaten run after taking a point from local rivals Aston Villa in a hard fought out tussle at Villa Park.

Wanderers kicked off attacking the Holte End of the ground and that is where the action was centred after five minutes after Kevin Doyle won a corner off Stiliyan Petrov.

Stephen Hunt's first flag kick was booted behind by Petrov for another which this time was cleared upfield.

Fabian Delph was shown an early yellow card after he had clattered into Matt Jarvis. Hunt took the resultant free-kick which was turned behind by Shay Given.

Petrov drove a low shot wide from 20-yards and then Wayne Hennessey punched away a Charles N'Zogbia corner. Chris Herd collided head first with the post as he ran in, but he was able to continue after treatment.

On 20 minutes Stephen Ward went on a good run before delivering a cross that Hunt headed down into the floor with Given fumbling the ball behind as it bounced.

N'Zogbia was way off target with a long range effort but Emile Heskey was literally inches away from giving Villa the lead as he slid in on Gabby Agbonlahor's low centre at the near post.

After a build-up involving Jarvis and Steven Fletcher, Jamie O'Hara scooped the ball over the angle from 20-yards before Fletcher needed treatment after colliding with Richard Dunne as the pair went for a Ward cross.

Petrov beat the offside trap on the left and hit a low cross that Hennessey cut out as Heskey slid in. The keeper took a knock but he was soon able to resume.

In stoppage time, O'Hara was booked for pulling back Petrov and Ward made a timely interception to concede a corner as Heskey was lining up a shot.

Half-Time: Villa 0 Wolves 0

Five minutes after the resumption, Hennessey turned away an angled effort from N'Zogbia with Karl Henry completing the clearance.

Hennessey had little difficulty in gathering a free-kick from Delph before Agbonlahor twice, in a matter of a few seconds, threatened the Wolves goal.

The striker's attempted angled drive was deflected behind for a corner and then his cross was headed powerfully towards goal by Herd with Hennessey having to touch the ball over.

Hennessey then had to cut out a low centre from Agbonlahor before Henry went into the book after he had held back Petrov.

With the half at its midway point, Mick McCarthy made a double switch sending George Elokobi and Kevin Foley on for Jarvis and Hunt. Elokobi slotted in at left-back with Ward pushing up into left midfield.

Richard Stearman became the third visiting played to go into the book when he tripped Agbonlahor.

In the 81st minute, Darren Bent lashed a dangerous cross from the right that went straight through the six-yard box with no-one able to get a touch.

Three minutes from the end, Bent headed onto the roof of the net after a good delivery from substitute Barry Bannan.

Wolves did most of the pressing in the last moments of the game, which included three minutes of stoppage time. But in the end, neither side could break the stalemate.

Villa: Given, Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Bent, N'Zogbia (Bannan 74), Agbonlahor, Delph (Albrighton 85), Heskey, Petrov (capt), Herd.

Unused subs: Guzan, Ireland, Delfouneso, Makoun, Clark.

Bookings: Delph (6 - foul).

Wolvers: Hennessey, Stearman, Ward, Henry, Berra, Johnson (capt), Jarvis (Elokobi 67), O'Hara, Doyle, Fletcher (Vokes 89), Hunt (Foley 67).

Unused subs: De Vries, Kightly, Hammill, Milijaś.

Bookings: (O'Hara 45 - holding), Henry (63 - holding), Stearman (72 - foul).

Referee: M. Atkinson.

Attendance: 30,776.

* Wolves Academy Under 18s 2-1 Norwich (Parry, McAlinden).

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.