Skip to main content


20:33 6th March 2011

End To End Thriller

Wolves 3 (Doyle 20, 40-pen, Fletcher 87)

Tottenham Hotspur 3 (Defoe 30, 35, Pavlyuchenko 48)

Wolves and Spurs played out a six goal, end to end thriller in front of the television cameras in a game that proved to be an excellent advertisement for Premier League football.

With Ronald Zubar and David Edwards ruled out through injury, Kevin Foley and Stephen Ward came into the side whilst Nenad Milijaš replaced the on loan Jamie O'Hara who was unavailable against his parent club.

After an emotional tribute was paid to the late Dean Richards, Wolves kicked-off attacking the South Bank end.

Inside the first minute there was a chance for the visitors as Luka Modric laid the ball into the path of Roman Pavlyuchenko on the edge of the box. But Russian scuffed his shot and the ball rolled tamely wide.

Wolves won a fifth minute corner which was taken by Adam Hammill. Heurelho Gomes punched the ball clear as far as Milijaš who drilled a first time shot over the bar from 20-yards.

Gomes saved at the feet of Milijaš who then headed over the bar following a cross from Hammill.

In the 20th minute Hammill threaded a ball through to Matt Jarvis whose drive was deflected into the side netting by a defender.

From Milijaš' corner the ball was headed out by Benoit Assou-Ekotto but only as far as Karl Henry. The skipper played it wide to Milijaš and his cross was headed past Gomes by Kevin Doyle.

Steven Pienaar shot into the side netting as Spurs looked for an instant response and when another Pienaar effort was blocked by Christophe Berra, Modric hit the rebound wide.

Jermaine Jenas went on a surging run from the halfway line to the edge of the home area but his final shot lacked the power to trouble Wayne Hennessey.

But the keeper was left with little chance as Jermain Defoe levelled matters on the half-hour mark. The England striker picked up a loose ball 25-yards out and hit a swerving shot into the top corner.

Five minutes later, he did it again pouncing on a half clearance and rifling a first time effort past Hennessey.

It took just five minutes more for Wanderers to get back on even terms. Doyle's deflected cross went through to Milijaš who was clearly pulled back by Alan Hutton.

The referee pointed straight to the spot and yet only gave the defender a yellow card when Milijaš was clearly through on goal needing only to tap the ball over the line. Doyle sent Gomes the wrong way from the spot.

In the final minute of the half, Milijaš was high and wide from the 18-yard line after Henry had nodded on a Hammill centre.

Half-Time: Wolves 2 Spurs 2

Just three minutes after the break, the home defence struggled to get the ball clear and Jenas played a short pass to Pavlyuchenko who smashed a shot into the roof of the net from the edge of the box.

Ward glanced a header wide after a cross from Jarvis before Michael Dawson went into the book for a late challenge on Hammill.

Good work from Doyle opened up the chance for Jarvis to have an attempt at goal but, from the corner of the area, he fired high over the far angle.

On the hour mark Sylvan Ebanks-Blake went on in place for Ward.

Gomes rescued Spurs in the 64th minute when he touched a low shot from Milijaš onto the post and, shortly afterwards, Hennessey just managed to take the ball off Defoe's foot with Richard Stearman doing his best to intervene.

Wingers Hammill and Jarvis combined to set up a chance for Ebanks-Blake but he fired wide of the post before both teams made a change in the 74th minute with Steven Fletcher replacing Hammill and Aaron Lennon going on in place of Pavlyuchenko.

At full stretch, Milijaš was wide as he connected with a Doyle cross before William Gallas became the third Spurs man to go into the book after pulling back Ebanks-Blake.

Tottenham substitute Gareth Bale shot wide of a virtually open goal after a mix up between Henry and George Elokobi had gifted the Welsh international the opportunity.

With ten minutes remaining, Stearman looked to have equalised as he headed in a Milijaš free-kick only for the referee to disallow it for a foul on Gomes. Replays later showed that Stearman was more the victim than the villain (pictured).

An on target effort from Henry bounced clear off a defender and then there was a let off for Wolves as Defoe was inches away from completing his hat-trick as his snapshot came back off the post.

But Wolves deserved something from the game and it arrived in the 87th minute with Fletcher looping home a precision header following a cross from Jarvis.

Wolves: Hennessey, Foley, Elokobi, Ward (Ebanks-Blake 60), Berra, Stearman, Hammill (Fletcher 74), Henry (capt), Doyle, Milijaš, Jarvis.

Unused subs: Hahnemann, Craddock, Mouyokolo, Griffiths, Doherty.

Spurs: Gomes, Hutton, Jenas, Pavlyuchenko (Lennon 74), Gallas, Modric (Kranjcar 85), Defoe, Dawson (capt), Sandro, Assou-Ekotto, Pienaar (Bale 69).

Unused subs: Palacios, Crouch, Bassong, Cudicini.

Bookings: Hutton (39 - foul), Dawson (55 - foul), Gallas (77 - foul).

Referee: M. Halsey.

Attendance: 28, 669.

West Bromwich Academy Under 18s 2 Wolves 1(Whittall)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.