Skip to main content


23:05 18th January 2011

Five Star Wolves

Wolves 5 (Fletcher 5, Mujangi Bia 60, Doyle 66, Jarvis 74, Jones 90+3)

Doncaster Rovers 0

Wolves will meet Stoke in the fourth round of the FA Cup after seeing off the threat of Doncaster Rovers with three goals in 15 second half minutes making the game safe after Steven Fletcher's early opener. Dave Jones wrapped things up in stoppage time.

Jody Craddock returned from his lengthy injury lay off and there were starts for skipper Karl Henry and Geoffrey Mujangi Bia.

Wolves kicked-off attacking the South Bank end and there were chances for both teams in the opening three minutes. The Molineux side was first to threaten as Stephen Hunt cut into the area and pulled the ball back for Fletcher whose shot was blocked by James Chambers.

Then the ball skidded off Craddock's toes as he attempted to clear leaving Billy Sharp through on goal but Marcus Hahnemann quickly closed the striker down and blocked at close range to avert the danger.

Wolves moved into a fifth minute lead through Fletcher who headed powerfully past Neil Sullivan after Hunt had supplied a pinpoint cross from the left.

Mujangi Bia wasn't far away from a second three minutes later after he had run onto a short pass from Hunt but his 20-yard drive flashed wide of the post.

Ronald Zubar and Mujangi Bia were both wide of the far post after cutting in from the left as the game went through something of a tepid period with neither goal being seriously threatened.

Things livened up though after Mujangi Bia raced into the box and took a return pass from Fletcher. But, with the goal beckoning, the young Belgian shot over from near the penalty spot.

Then, in the 37th minute, the referee was well placed to wave away Doncaster appeals after James Coppinger went down following a Henry challenge just inside the Wolves box.

Just on half-time Kevin Doyle headed over in a congested area from Hunt's right-wing corner.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Rovers 0

Seconds after the resumption, John Oster had to shepherd the ball back to Sullivan as Doyle threatened, then Sharp had a shot that deflected behind off a defender when play had switched to the other end.

Then followed another spell with little to enthuse the small crowd until Mujangi Bia scored his first goal for the club and opened up a two goal cushion on the hour mark.

Zubar released Doyle on the overlap and he delivered a low cross for Mujangi Bia to blast home and angled shot that took a deflection and gave Sullivan no chance.

Six minutes later it was three thanks to a brilliant effort from Doyle. Hunt played his fellow countryman through on the left and after turning Sam Hird inside out he found the net via the far post from the acutest of angles from near the by-line.

Matt Jarvis was sent on in place of Hunt and within five minutes of his introduction he had made it four with a clinical finish after Richard Stearman's pass had carved open the Rovers defence (pictured).

In the 78th minute Sam Vokes and Stephen Ward replaced Doyle and Fletcher.

As the game moved into stoppage time a swashbuckling run from Zubar took him deep into the Doncaster half. He slipped a short pass to Vokes who flicked the ball to Jones. But Sullivan read the situation and he was quickly out to block.

But Jones wasn't to be denied and when Jarvis played a low corner into his path he drilled the ball home from the edge of the box to complete the rout.

Wolves: Hahnemann, Stearman, Zubar, Jones, Craddock, Mouyokolo, Mujangi Bia, Henry (capt), Doyle (Vokes 78) Fletcher (Ward 78), Hunt (Jarvo 69).

Unused subs: Hennessey, Berra, Milijaš, Davis.

Rovers: Sullivan, Chambers (Friend 75), O'Connor, Hird, Wilson, Oster, Lockwood (capt), Coppinger (Souza 75), Sharp (Brooker 82), Hayter, Shiels.

Unused subs: Woods, Fairhurst, Webster,

Referee: K.A. Friend.

Attendance: 10,031.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.