Skip to main content


18:37 11th September 2010

Stoppage Time Sickener

Fulham 2 (Dembele 49, 90+1)

Wolves 1 (Van Damme 10)

A stoppage time goal from Fulham's Mousa Dembele condemned Wolves to their first defeat of the season after a scrappy contest at Craven Cottage that saw six of Mick McCarthy's men shown the yellow card and Christophe Berra a red for conceding a free-kick that led to the winning goal.

The Molineux boss made just one change to the team that started against Newcastle in their last game, with Michael Mancienne coming in for Dave Jones in midfield.

Wolves kicked-off defending the end of Craven Cottage that housed the travelling supporters. And it was the Cottagers that applied the early pressure with Simon Davies's third minute corner going across the face of goal and out on the far side with no-one getting a touch.

The first real threat came when Davies ran into the box and was about to pull the trigger when Jody Craddock got in a timely challenge with Stephen Ward completing the clearance. Appeals for a penalty were ignored.

Wolves shook the home crowd by taking a 10th minute lead through Jelle Van Damme who met Kevin Doyle's centre at the far post to despatch a shot into the opposite side of the goal (pictured).

Marcus Hahnemann punched clear a corner from Davies as Fulham looked to hit back. The ball fell to Dembele who was fouled by Karl Henry but Bobby Zamora's free-kick sailed high over the bar.

Mancienne became the first of what became a catalogue of bookings for a harmless challenge on Clint Dempsey, and then the home side lost the services of Zamora who fell after a perfectly legal challenge from Henry.

The striker appeared to land his foot awkwardly and it was obvious that his injury was serious as he was carried off on a stretcher with former Albion man Zoltan Gera taking his place.

A low shot from Brede Hangeland was deflected behind for a corner which was taken by Davies and again punched clear by Hahnemann. John Pantsil homed in on the ball but his 22-yard drive was way too high.

Danny Murphy fired over with another free-kick before Fulham were lucky to survive a dismissal when Pantsil hauled back Doyle. The defender looked to be the last man but the referee only gave a yellow card. Ward lifted the free-kick into the box but after a brief scramble it was cleared.

Half-Time: Fulham 0 Wolves 1

Both sides made changes during the break with Chris Baird replacing Pantsil for the Cottagers and Stephen Fletcher coming on for goalscorer Van Damme.

Just four minutes into the half Fulham pulled level. Stephen Kelly's cross broke off Berra to and as Ward and Gera challenged for the ball it squirmed free to Dembele whose shot took a deflection on its way past Hahnemann.

Gera wasn't far away with an overhead kick after a Davies corner and then Dembele's drive from 30-yards was comfortably taken by Hahnemann.

The Wolves keeper then had to challenge Davies, who had beaten the offside trap. The ball was cleared but home appeals for a penalty were rejected by referee Phil Dowd.

Ward was booked for a foul on Dembele before an enterprising run down the left by Jarvis was halted by Aaron Hughes.

From Jarvis's free-kick Doyle got in a powerful header that bounced clear off a defender. Seconds later Doyle was replaced by Jones.

Mark Schwarzer was in the right place to cling on to a Fletcher header following a deep ball into the Fulham box.

Then Davies got his legs tangled as he attempted to convert a low cross from Dembele before, at the other end, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake blasted a shot into the side netting.

Schwarzer tipped over a Jarvis cross and from the corner, taken by the winger, Henry's overhead bounced clear off a defender.

Jarvis, Berra, Henry, Ebanks-Blake and Jones were all booked in a 16 minute spell. The referee seemed to react to the home supporters by producing a card for virtually every challenge.

Right on full time Berra pulled back Eddie Johnson and after Gera had tapped the ball to Davies, Dembele ran in to drive the winning goal through the wall.

Murphy and Hangeland were booked in the dying seconds of what was a frustrating afternoon for Wolves.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Kelly, Pantsil (Baird 45), Hangeland, Murphy (capt), Hughes, Etuhu, Dempsey (Johnson 83), Zamora (Gera 30) , Davies, Dembele.

Unused subs: Etheridge, Helge Riise, Greening, Halliche.

Bookings: Pantsil (42 - foul), Murphy (90 - foul), Hangeland (90 - foul).

Wolves: Hahnemann, Foley, Ward, Mancienne, Berra, Craddock, Jarvis, Henry (capt), Ebanks-Blake (Guedioura 85), Doyle (Jones 61), Van Damme (Fletcher 45).

Unused subs: Hennessey, Elokobi, Stearman, Bent.

Bookings: Ward (59 - foul), Jarvis (70 - foul), Berra (77 - foul), Henry (77 - dissent), Ebanks-Blake (85 - foul), Jones (86 - foul).

Sending-Off: Berra (89 - foul - second bookable offence).

Referee: P. Dowd.

Attendance: 25,280.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.