Skip to main content


19:51 26th February 2011

Biggest Premier Win

Wolves 4 (Jarvis 2, O'Hara 54, Ebanks-Blake 78, 90)   Blackpool 0   Wolves romped to their biggest ever Premier League victory beating a Blackpool side reduced to ten men for half the game by 4-0 to move out of the bottom three.   There were two changes in midfield for the visit of The Seasiders. Nenad Milijaš and Kevin Foley dropped down to the bench and in came Dave Edwards and Adam Hammill.   Wolves kicked-off attacking the South Bank end and they were ahead after just two minutes. A superb ball down the line from Ronald Zubar found Edwards who cut inside and fed Adam Hammill. He spotted Matt Jarvis unmarked to his left and laid off the perfect ball for his fellow winger to finish the job with a curled, angled shot.   Wolves continued to attack and a pair of corners from Jarvis were cleared before two flag kicks from Ludovic Sylvestre were dealt with by the home defence.   Jarvis was in the thick of things again with a burst of pace that took him past is marker. He delivered a low cross that had Kevin Doyle's name written on it but a defender just managed to toe end the ball away.   A centre from David Vaughan drifted dangerously across the face of Wayne Hennessey's goal but Wolves were soon back on the front foot and it took a tremendous save from Richard Kingson to keep out Edwards' volley after Jamie O'Hara had supplied the cross.   Doyle was barged twice in the centre circle but, with typical determination, he regained his balance and fed Jarvis whose centre was headed behind by Keith Southern.   Chants of Deano, Deano, echoed around the ground as fans remembered former defender Dean Richards who had passed away earlier in the day.   In the 23rd minute Hammill was inches away from his first goal for the club. Zubar's probing run took him into the visitors box. He slipped a short pass to Hammill whose first shot was blocked with his second attempt skimming the roof of the net after the ball had rebounded to him.   A Zubar volley was deflected behind by Ian Evatt and from O'Hara's corner George Elokobi powered home a header. But the crowd's cheers were stifled when they realised the referee had ruled the goal out for a foul on the keeper.   Ian Holloway made a switch in the 29th minute when he sent striker Luke Varney on in place of Sergei Kornilenko and seven minutes later he fired wide of the near post as Richard Stearman challenged.   Hammill limped off to be replaced by Foley before the game erupted briefly as DJ Campbell was sent off two minutes before the break for putting two hands into Stearman's face having already led with his arm in an aerial challnge.   Half-Time: Wolves 1 Blackpool 0   After the restart a foul by Vaughan on Karl Henry gave Wolves a free-kick just outside the Blackpool area, but O'Hara's kick was headed clear.   Then Kingson pulled off another fine save, this time from Foley, who shot for goal from the edge of the area after Jarvis's corner had been headed out.   O'Hara drove the ball straight into the arms of Kingman but, just a minute later, the on loan midfielder made no mistake. He picked the ball up just outside the centre circle and ran on before unleashing a shot that flew into the bottom corner (pictured).   Almost immediately Sylvan Ebanks-Blake went on in place of Zubar with Foley dropping to full-back.   A terrific run by Stearman took him from one area to the other before he passed to O'Hare whose low cross was just too far in front of Foley.   Stephen Ward was the last of Wolves' three substitutions when he took the place of Edwards for final quarter of the game.   The home side were putting Blackpool to the sword and after Kingman had cut out Foley's cross as Ebanks-Blake ran in, O'Hara volleyed a yard wide of the far post.   But the pressure paid off in the 78th minute as Ebanks-Blake tucked away Doyle's low cross after good work from Henry.   Elokobi was booked for a late challenge on substitute Brett Ormerod, and seconds later Alex Baptiste suffered a similar punishment after he had ploughed into Foley.   Doyle headed narrowly wide at the far post after a cross from Jarvis, and then the Irish striker saw his angled shot deflected behind.   Jarvis was too high with a drive from the edge of the area, but in the final minute Ebanks-Blake wrapped things up after he had taken a pass from Ward and shot across Kingson into the far side of the net.   Wolves: Hennessey, Zubar (Ebanks-Blake 56), Elokobi, Edwards (Ward 67), Berra, Stearman, Hammill (Foley 37), Henry (capt), Doyle, O'Hara, Jarvis.   Unused subs: Hahnemann, Craddock, Fletcher, Milijaš. Booking: Elokobi (83 - foul).   Blackpool: Kingson, Southern, Eardley, Evatt, Vaughan (capt), Baptiste, Sylvestre (Ormerod 62), Cathcart, Campbell, Kornilenko (Varney 29), Beattie (Phillips 62).   Unused subs: Halstead, Carney, Puncheon, Reid.   Booking: (Baptiste 84).   Referee: N. Swarbrick. Attendance: 29,086. Wolves Academy Under 18s 0 Everton 2    
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.