Skip to main content


19:43 27th November 2010

Super Sub Sylvan Stuns Sunderland

Wolves 3 (Foley 50, Hunt 81, Ebanks-Blake 89)

Sunderland 2 (Bent 67, Welbeck 77)

Two goals in the last ten minutes gave Wolves three precious points as they came from behind to beat a Sunderland side that in their last away outing had achieved a 3-0 win over Premier league leaders Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

There were four changes to the Wolves starting line up with Wayne Hennessey, Ronald Zubar, Stephen Ward and Nenad Milijaš coming in for Marcus Hahnemann, Stephen Hunt, the suspended Chrisophe Berra and the injured Karl Henry.

George Elokobi moved from full-back to central defence in Berra's absence, and Kevin Foley took over the captain's armband. There was a first League start of the season for both Hennessey and Zubar.

On a bitterly cold but clear afternoon, Sunderland kicked-off attacking the North Bank end. The early pressure came from Wolves with two Zubar centres being cleared before a short cross from Kevin Doyle was headed behind by John Mensah.

Dave Jones took the corner which was cleared for another from which Richard Stearman was penalised for a push

Darren Bent sprinted into the home area but his angled drive lacked the power to trouble Hennessey before Bolo Zenden fired a foot wide with a shot from inside the box.

In the 13th minute Mensah had to clear Ward's centre over his own crossbar and, from the resultant corner, Stearman just failed to get a touch to Matt Jarvis's corner when he ran in at the far post.

Penalty appeals for a foul by Lee Cattermole on Milijaš as the pair went for Ward's cross were ignored and when Doyle snatched at the loose ball he shot high over the bar.

As Craig Gordan touched Ward's lobbed cross over the bar the referee blew for a foul by Jones on the keeper even though replays showed there was no contact.

Midway through the half Molineux erupted as Stearman touched the ball home after Elokobi had returned it into the middle when Jarvis's corner was half cleared. But the cheers soon turn to anger when the supporters realised that the lineman had flagged for offside.

Elokobi was booked for handling and Kieran Richardson's tremendous free-kick hit the inside of the far post and curled in front of Hennessey before going behind on the far side.

Then it was the turn of Black Cats skipper Cattermole to see the yellow card after he had felled Doyle.

Zenden beat the offside trap but as he homed in on Hennessey's goal the ball ran away from him allowing the Welsh keeper to collect.

Just before the break Gordan dived to take a drive from Jarvis and, in stoppage time, Richardson was booked after a challenge on Doyle that left the striker in need of treatment.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Sunderland 0

Seconds after the resumption, Zubar fired wide with a powerful effort and then the defender was in action in his own area as Bent threatened with Zubar's intervention allowing Hennessey to claim.

Wolves took the lead in the 50th minute through Foley whose cross was headed onto the far side where Jarvis hit a shot that Gordan pushed out. The ball fell to Foley who made no mistake picking his spot on the far side of goal (pictured).

Bent looked on for an equaliser after he had dribbled his way into the box but Elokobi managed to geta foot in and the ball trickled off the Sunderland striker to the grateful Hennessey.

A shot from Zubar ballooned up into the air and when it dropped to Doyle he wasn't able to get enough purchase on his header and Gordan made an easy save.

Stephen Hunt replaced Jones after 63 minutes shortly before a clever ball from Milijaš sent Jarvis away on the right. The winger cut past a defender but fired over the bar from just inside the box.

Danny Welbeck wasted a good opportunity after he had taken advantage of some sloppy home defending, but Bent made no mistake in the 67th minute when he beat Hennessey with a clinical left foot shot.

Their tails up, Sunderland went close when Bent hit a fierce effort into the side netting and then substitute Steed Malbranque aimed a chip towards the far corner of goal forcing Hennessey to back peddle and tip the ball over.

But the keeper stood no chance in the 77th minute as Welbeck despatched a precision header into the net after a Phil Bardsley cross.

Mensah was booked for fouling Doyle and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was sent on for Michael Mancienne just before Hunt levelled matters with his first goal for the club.

Milijaš floated a deep free-kick into the box and Elokobi nodded the ball down for Hunt to smash into the net from close quarters.

Ebanks-Blake fired over the angle after Doyle had flicked a Ward cross into his path, and seconds later Hennessey made a fine save to deny Cattermole.

With the game in its 89th minute, Ebanks-Blake won it for Wolves when he displayed great control before rifling the ball past Gordan after a low cross from Doyle had found him unmarked in the Sunderland box.

Wolves: Hennessey, Zubar, Ward, Jones (Hunt 63), Elokobi, Stearman, Foley (capt), Milijaš, Doyle, Mancienne (Ebanks-Blake 50), Jarvis.

Unused subs: Hahnemann, Van Damme, Fletcher, M. Bent, Davis.

Bookings: Ward (22 - dissent), Elokobi (30 - deliberate hand ball).

Sunderland: Gordan, Bardsley, Richardson, Mensah (Elmohamady 82), Cattermole (capt), Zenden (Gyan 56), Henderson (Malbranque 56), D. Bent, Onuoha, Welbeck, Ferdinand.

Unused subs: Mignolet, Da Silva, Angeleri, Riveros..

Bookings: Cattermole (35 - foul), Richardson (45 - foul), Mensah (79 - foul).

Referee: M. Jones.

Attendance: 25,112.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.