Skip to main content


17:56 20th November 2010

No Joy Beside The Seaside

Blackpool 2 (Varney 3, Campbell 44)

Wolves 1 (Doyle 86)

A late goal from Kevin Doyle wasn't enough to prevent Wolves from slipping to a disappointing defeat at Blackpool as the poor run of results continued and the team remained firmly entrenched in the bottom three of the Premier League.

Mick McCarthy reverted to a 4-5-1 formation as he made three changes to his starting line up with Dave Jones, Michael Mancienne and Christophe Berra replacing Nenad Milijaš, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Steven Mouyokolo respectively.

Wolves, sporting their all black change strip for the first time, defended the half of Bloomfield Road that housed over 2,000 of their supporters as The Tangerines kicked-off.

But once again the Molineux men conceded an early goal. With less than three minutes gone, Luke Varney hit a speculative volley from the left-hand corner of the box that dipped over the helpless Marcus Hahnemann.

Wolves responded with three corners in quick succession and from the third, taken by Matt Jarvis, the ball broke to George Elokobi whose goalbound shot bounced clear off the chest of Stephen Crainey.

Former Wolves loanee Marlon Harewood tested Hahnemann with a low shot from 25-yards then home keeper Richard Kingson punched a Jones volley away from under the crossbar after Jarvis had teed up a free-kick up for the midfielder.

In the 28th minute a corner from Stephen Hunt was half cleared to Kevin Foley who crossed for Berra to get in a header that was easily claimed by Kingson.

It turned out to be Foley's last action in the game. Shortly after the start he had switched from left-back to midfield with Mancienne taking on the defensive role. And with the game less than half an hour old, he was replaced by Milijaš.

Doyle wasn't far away with a glancing header from an Elokobi cross, and then Jones volleyed wide from just outside the area.

Wolves were enjoying much of the attacking play without unduly worrying Kingson and when the home side broke Hahnemann needed two attempts to claim a swerving 30-yard effort from Ian Evatt.

Hunt headed narrowly wide after a centre from Elokobi but the afternoon grew ever darker for Wanderers as Blackpool went two up in the 44th minute after a Charlie Adams corner.

Hahnemann and Varney went for the ball which dropped down to Harewood who forced it home with the ball having crossed the line before a combination of Jarvis and Doyle scrambled it clear.

Half-Time: Blackpool 2 Wolves 0

Ebanks-Blake replaced Hunt at the start of then new half which began with Hahnemann cutting out a low, driven cross from DJ Campbell.

Kingson dived to take an angled drive from Elokobi at the near post and then Jarvis raced to the by-line before delivering a low cross that was cleared only as far as Jones who was way off the mark from the edge of the box.

Jarvis failed to find a team-mate after another speedy run to the line and then Matt Phillips drove a cross right through the heart of Hahnemann's goalmouth.

Appeals for a penalty after Adams's challenge on Milijaš were ignored then Doyle's cross just eluded Ebanks-Blake as Wolves continued to press.

Karl Henry was booked for a foul on David Vaughan and moments later the Wolves skipper was replaced by Steven Fletcher.

Twice in a minute Milijaš came close to reducing the deficit. On the hour mark he advanced to within 20-yards of goal before hitting a low drive that came back off the post. Then the Serb hit a shot on the turn that flew over the angle.

A swerving effort from Jarvis almost caught Kingson off guard and, at the other end, Varney flashed a shot just off target after he had been played through by Adams.

Ebanks-Blake was unlucky when he connected with a cross-shot from Jarvis only for Kingson to make a brilliant reflex save and turn the ball behind.

With ten minutes remaining Berra was shown the yellow card after he had tripped Campbell a yard outside the area.

Evatt was hurt as he cleared a cross from Jarvis right in front of goal, before Wolves finally found the back of the net as Doyle scored his first League goal of the campaign with a fine header after Elokobi had crossed from the left.

A scramble in the home area could have yielded an equaliser but the ball was hacked clear and, in the four minutes of stoppage time, Doyle went close with a shot on the turn that was a yard wide.

The game ended with a Jarvis corner being headed clear.

Blackpool: Kingston, Crainey (Carney 90), Eardley, Evatt, Harewood (Taylor-Fletcher 65), Vaughan, Varney, Cathcart, Phillips (Sylvestre 65), Adam (capt), Campbell.

Unused subs: Ormerod, Halstead, Grandin, Edwards.

Wolves: Hahnemann, Foley (Milijaš 29), Elokobi, Jones, Berra, Stearman, Mancienne, Henry (capt) (Fletcher 60), Doyle, Hunt (Ebanks-Blake 45), Jarvis.

Unused subs: Ward, Hennessey, Bent, Mouyokolo.

Bookings: Henry (57 - foul), Berra (80 - foul).

Attendance: 15,922.

Referee: M. Clattenburg.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 1 (Ismail) Stoke City 0

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.