Skip to main content


19:59 13th November 2010

Late Fightback Not Enough

Wolves 2 (Foley 69, Fletcher 77)

Bolton 3 (Stearman-og 1, Elmander 62, Holden 67)

Wolves didn't reach the heights of some of their recent performances and after conceding another first minute goal, they shipped two more midway through the second period. A stirring fightback in the last 20 minutes almost yielded a reward but the game ended in another defeat.

Mick McCarthy made three changes from the team that had started against Arsenal as he opted to play a 4-4-2 formation.

Stephen Hunt replaced the injured Dave Edwards whilst Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and George Elokobi came in for Michael Mancienne and Stephen Ward respectively. Both Ward and Mancienne took a place on the bench.

Then the news came through that Christophe Berra had injured a knee in the warm up and he was replaced at the last minute by Steven Mouyokolo who made his first start in the League.

Before kick-off an impeccably observed minute's silence was observed ahead of Remembrance Sunday.

After the dreadful start against Arsenal three days earlier when they conceded after 38 seconds, the home defence didn't last much longer this time after they had kicked-off attacking the North Bank end.

Just 46 seconds had elapsed when Richard Stearman headed past his own keeper in attempting to clear Chung-Yong Lee's headed ball into the middle.

After five minutes a Matt Jarvis corner went to the far side of the box and was returned into the goalmouth by Karl Henry. Jussi Jaaskelainen had to concede another flag-kick under pressure from Stearman and Mouyakolo.

This time Jarvis played the ball back into the path of Nenad Milijaš who hit a terrific shot that struck Zat Knight and knocked him off his feet.

A neat through ball from Milijaš almost played Hunt through but Sam Ricketts just managed to prod the ball behind for a corner.

The Wolves rearguard were struggling to clear their lines as Lee tried to find a shooting angle until Elokobi charged in to boot the ball clear. Shortly afterwards Lee needed treatment after a mid air collision with Elokobi.

Hunt was booked after a shoulder charge on Jaaskelainen and Ricketts was lucky not to suffer a similar punishment for a tackle from behind on Jarvis.

Ebanks-Blake used his hand when he hit the post after Doyle had nodded the ball into the box, and then, after the striker had been fouled by Knight, Jaaskelainen punched Milijaš's free-kick clear.

The ball went as far as Kevin Foley and his cross dropped into the path of Ebanks-Blake who volleyed high over the bar with a first time effort.

Matthew Taylor then hit the home defensive wall with a 25-yard free-kick after Milijaš had been somewhat harshly penalised after a challenge on Johan Elmander.

Wanderers finished the half strongly and Jaaskelainen was lucky that the ball went to one of his own defenders after he had spilled Hunt's low cross.

In stoppage time a superb ball from Milijaš saw Jarvis get goal-side of Ricketts, but Jaaskelainen spread himself to block the winger's angled shot.

Half-Time; Wolves 0 Bolton 1

Three minutes after the restart Milijaš almost conjured up an equaliser after Jarvis had laid a corner into his path. The Serb took a touch on the edge of the box before hitting a shot that clipped the top of the crossbar.

Seconds later Marcus Hahnemann just won a race for the ball when he dived at the feet of Elmander before Knight had a shot deflected wide for a corner.

Jarvis displayed the form that has lifted him to the verge of full international honours when he outpaced his marker before driving a low centre through the heart of the Bolton box. Unfortunately the ball went behind his team-mates and was hooked clear by a grateful defender.

Hahnemann had little difficulty in holding onto a 22-yard drive from Stuart Holden but the keeper was powerless to prevent Elmander for adding to Bolton's lead in the 62nd minute.

Holden found Elmander who had his back to goal but he turned between Henry and Mouyokolo using some clever footwork before finding the net with a low shot that went just inside the far post.

After Ebanks-Blake's shot was blocked and Doyle hit the rebound over the bar, a difficult task for Wolves became an almost impossible one as Bolton went three up in the 67th minute as Holden was given the time and space to pick his spot after taking a return pass from Lee.

Within two minutes Foley went forward and found Jarvis who returned the ball to the defender who steadied himself before picking his spot for a well worked goal.

Jarvis fired over a dangerous cross despite three men surrounding him near the left-hand corner flag, and although the ball was cleared it was from his corner that the deficit was reduced to one when substitute Steven Fletcher ran in at the far post to convert with a diving header.

It was the signal for some sustained heavy pressure on Jaaskelainen's goal but the fates favoured the visitors in two scrambles in the area with the ball falling to white shirted players at the crucial moment on each occasion.

Davies just failed to get his foot to Matthew Taylor's cross as Bolton looked to hit back on the break, but Wolves should have completed a remarkable comeback in the 90th minute but Mouyokolo headed the wrong side of the post after another fine cross from Jarvis.

Wolves: Hahnemann, Foley, Elokobi, Hunt (Fletcher 66), Berra, Stearman, Milijaš, Henry (capt), Doyle, Ebanks-Blake, Jarvis.

Unused subs: Ward, Hennessey, Jones, Bent, Mancienne, Van Damme.

Booking: Hunt (25 - foul).

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Robinson, Cahill, Muamba, Taylor (Petrov 75), Holden, Elmander (Klasnic 75), Knight, K. Davies (capt), Ricketts, Lee.

Unused subs: Bogdan, M. Davies, Moreno, Blake, Alonso.

Referee: P. Walton.

Attendance: 27,508.

Crewe Alexandra Under 18s 2 Wolves 3 (Gorman, Forde, Kempton)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.