Skip to main content


19:19 16th October 2010

A Game Of Two Halves

Wolves 1 (Jarvis 10)

West Ham 1 (Noble-pen 53)

It was a game of two halves at Molineux as the bottom two in the Premier League slugged it out with Wolves dominating the opening 45 minutes but only having a Matt Jarvis goal for their troubles, before West Ham hit back with a controversial penalty after the break as they took charge of affairs.

Dave Jones came in for the suspended Karl Henry as the only change to the home starting line up.

Wolves kicked-off attacking the South Bank end but their goal was under threat inside the first minute when Kieron Dyer took the ball to the by-line and hammered in a low cross that was cleared by Jody Craddock.

The veteran defender was wearing the captain's armband in the absence of Henry but he had to hand it over to Christophe Berra with just two minutes gone as he limped off after landing badly from an aerial challenge with Victor Obinna. Richard Stearman went on in his place.

Wolves began to play some excellent flowing football and after a move involving Kevin Doyle and Steven Fletcher, Dave Edwards shot hit a defender sending the ball just the wrong side of the post with Robert Green rooted to the spot.

From Jarvis's corner Green punched the ball out but only as far as Jones who got too far under the ball and volleyed high over the bar.

But the West Ham keeper wasn't so lucky in the tenth minute after another fine home build up. Doyle played a clever short pass to Fletcher who threaded the ball through to Jarvis in the West Ham box.

The winger's shot was blocked but he regained possession and found Jones on the 18-yard line. He in turn pushed the ball wide to Stephen Ward whose centre was punched out by Green but only as far as Jarvis who sent a cushioned volley back into the net (pictured).

After that mistake Green showed the other side of his game just a minute later with a brilliant save from Jones whose well placed shot was heading for the far corner after Jarvis had set up the chance.

From Jones's flag kick the ball was half cleared to Kevin Foley who hoisted a cross to Fletcher who headed into the heart of the six-yard box. Stearman raced in and looked certain to register his first goal of the season but Green made a superb block to deny the defender.

A header from Edwards looped over the angle after a run and cross from Jarvis, and then a kind bounce put Obinna in the clear but Stearman was quickly back to shield the ball as Marcus Hahnemann ran out to claim.

Another cross from Jarvis found Edwards whose shot was blocked and then Tal Ben Haim cleared at the near post as Foley's low cross looked destined for Fletcher. There was a scramble before ball was cleared after Jones had planted the corner into the heart of the box as The Hammers' goal led something of a charmed life.

In the 35th minute, Jarvis took a return pass off Fletcher and hit a cross from the right that curled into the side netting just wide of the post with Green flatfooted.

Just before the break a mistake by Manuel du Costa almost cost his side a second goal. Green rolled the ball out to him but he lost possession on the edge of the box to Doyle who fed Jarvis but his drive was blocked by Daniel Gabbidon.

Half-Time Wolves 1 West Ham 0

The Hammers drew level seven minutes after the restart following a controversial penalty award by Mark Clattenburg. There didn't appear to be any danger as Foley tangled with Obinna just inside the left of the area.

But the Nigerian went down in what seemed a 'six of one half a dozen of the other' challenge and the referee pointed to the spot with Mark Noble ramming home the penalty.

Three minutes later another poor punch from Green, this time after a cross from Foley, fell to Jones whose low goalbound shot appeared to strike team-mate Doyle and bounce to safety.

But seconds later it was the Wolves goal that was lucky to survive as Freddie Piquionne broke clear on the left and lashed a shot that cannoned back off the crossbar.

Appeals for a Wolves penalty as Lars Jacobsen blocked a Jarvis cross were ignored, and then Stearman headed a yard wide following a cross from Jones.

Play was soon at the other end where Dyer jinked his way deep into the box and looked odds on to score. But Ward managed to boot clear from in front of goal and when the ball fell to Obinna his shot was deflected wide.

Midway through the half Jelle Van Damme replaced Fletcher and, after Hahnemann had saved a vicious drive from Obinna, the visitors substituted Dyer with Carlton Cole.

The one time Wolves loanee was soon in the thick of things beating two men as he ran into the area. But he then failed to get a proper touch as he tried to convert allowing Hahnemann to take the ball off his foot.

Deep into stoppage time, with virtually the last kick of an absorbing contest, Piquionne toe poked the ball past Hahnemann but the referee penalised and booked the striker for hands in controlling the cross.

Wolves: Hahnemann, Foley, Ward, Edwards (Ebanks-Blake 87), Berra, Craddock (capt) (Stearman 4), Jarvis, Mancienne, Fletcher (Van Damme 67), Doyle, Jones.

Unused subs: Elokobi, Hennessey, Bent, Milijaš.

West Ham: Green, Ben-Haim, Gabbidon, Dyer (Cole 77), Parker (capt), Boa Morte, Noble, Da Costa, Piquionne, Obinna, Jacobsen.

Unused subs: Tomkins, Faubert, Behrami, Ilunga, Stech, McCarthy.

Booking: Piquionne (90+3 deliberate hand ball)

Referee: M. Clattenburg.

Attendance: 28,582.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 0 Manchester City 1

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.