Skip to main content


22:00 2th February 2010

Seven Minute Hat-Trick Ends Cup Hopes

Crystal Palace 3 (Butterfield 61, 65, 67)

Wolves 1 (Henry 90)

A hat-trick in just seven minutes from Crystal Palace's Danny Butterfield heralded Wolves' FA Cup exit after a lack lustre display from the Molineux men in a fourth round replay at Selhurst Park

There were five changes to the Wolves side with Geoffrey Mujanga Bia making his full debut. Mick McCarthy once again opted for a 4-3-3 line up.

After an uneventful opening five minutes, Ronald Zubar had to head behind a dangerous cross from Butterfield and Kevin Foley was nicely placed to clear the resultant corner from Darren Ambrose.

Sam Vokes then won a tussle with Claude Davis on the edge of the Palace box. The Welsh striker was forced wide and when he pulled the ball back to Mujanga the youngster scuffed his pass and the danger was cleared.

In the 18th minute Nathaniel Clyne delivered a cross that Ambrose hooked over the bar from 20-yards with a first time effort.

Alan Lee broke down the left channel but his cross went over the head of Ambrose before home skipper Shaun Derry went into the book for a late challenge on Michael Mancienne in the centre circle.

Mancienne took the free-kick himself and, after the Palace defence failed to clear their lines, Mujanga took a return pass from Ned Milijaš but fired high over the angle of post and bar.

Lee became the second home player to be shown the yellow card, for dissent, before Ambrose and Nick Carle had shots blocked in quick succession by the visitors defence.

After appearing to head against the back of Jody Craddock's head, Lee had to leave the field for attention to a cut forehead.

Three minutes before the end of a mundane opening half, Neil Danns shot inches wide of the far post after he had collected a low cross from Carle.

Wolves responded with a Milijaš free-kick that was headed wide by Vokes, and then a rebound presented Mujanga with a half chance but Julian Speroni in the home goal had spotted the danger and he ran from his goal to clear.

Half-Time: Palace 0 Wolves 0

Two Palace free-kicks within shooting distance came inside the first five minutes of the new half. Both were taken by Ambrose with Wayne Hennessey claiming the first and the second flying wide of the mark.

Danns headed wide after a cross from Ambrose and Foley lifted a shot high over the bar at the other end.

Wolves changed to a 4-4-2 formation just before the hour mark as Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Chris Iwelumo went on in place of Vokes and Mujanga.

Within two minute Wolves were behind. Palace gained a fortuitous corner, with television replays showing the ball had gone behind off Ambrose. He took the flag-kick and although Hennessey made a good save from Lawrence's header, Danny Butterfield was there to nod over the line.

Speroni had to punch clear after Jody Craddock had headed a Milijaš corner up into the air, before Palace went two up in the 65th minute.

Ambrose nodded on a Speroni clearance to Butterfield who beat Hennessey with a low right foot shot.

The Palace keeper cut out a low cross from Ebanks-Blake before Butterfield completed a seven minute hat-trick when he forced the ball home after a flick on from Lee.

Ebanks-Blake was booked after a body check on Carle and Dave Jones was sent on from Mancienne for the final 15 minutes of a miserable night for Wolves.

The only consolation came in the shape of a Karl Henry goal - the captain shooting high into the net after Foley had knocked back a Richard Stearman cross.

Palace: Speroni, Clyne, Hill, Danns, Derry (capt), Davis, Lawrence, Carle (Comley 84), Ambrose, Lee (Andrew 75), Butterfield (Djiali 88).

Unused subs: Scannell, Wynter, Mann.

Bookings: Derry (27 - foul), Lee (31 - dissent).

Wolves: Hennessey, Stearman, Zubar, Milijaš, Craddock, Berra, Foley, Henry (capt), Vokes (Iwelumo 59), Mancienne (Jones 76), Mujangi (Ebanks-Blake 59).

Unused subs: Surman, Hahnemann, Halford, Castillo.

Booking: Ebanks-Blake (71 - foul).

Referee: L.Mason.

Attendance: 10,282 (898 away supporters)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.