Skip to main content


19:36 23rd January 2010

Zubes Sets Up A Trip To The Palace

Wolves 2 (Jones 37, Zubar 84)

Crystal Palace 2 (Lee 3, Ambrose 49)

Wolves face a trip to south London after twice coming back from a goal down to earn a draw against Championship side Crystal Palace in a hard fought FA Cup tie at Molineux.

Mick McCarthy rang the changes for the game - seven in all with just Karl Henry, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Kevin Foley and Michael Mancienne retaining their starting places.

Palace kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and they took the lead in just the third minute. Wolves had a chance after 45 seconds as Sam Vokes held off a challenge from Johannes Ertl before hitting an angled shot that was smothered by Julian Speroni.

The visitors won a corner moments later and from Darren Ambrose's kick Alan Lee rose to plant a header which appeared to get a touch from Wayne Hennessey and the bar before it went over the line.

It could have been two after Victor Moses picked out Ambrose who had clear sight of goal but his shot from just inside the area well taken by Hennessey.

A nasty looking head injury to Claude Davis then saw the game held up for five minutes. The defender was involved in an accidental clash of heads with Vokes, and he fell face down and not moving. Staff from both benches gathered round and there was obvious concern before Davis was finally stretchered off.

It was later revealed that he had suffered mouth and shoulder injuries but wasn't detained in hospital whilst Vokes carried on after having five stitches put in a head wound.

From the restart Ertl had to head behind as Ebanks-Blake threatened but Dave Jones's corner was too high and it went out on the far side for a goal-kick.

Speroni cut out a low cross from George Elokobi at the feet of Ebanks-Blake before Ronald Zubar fired high over the bar after Vokes had taken the ball out of defence and pushed it forwards to the French defender.

On the half-hour mark Jones won possession 35-yards out from the Palace goal. He slipped a pass to Vokes and ran forward to take a return but Speroni dived to save his shot.

Two minutes later Vokes and Jones combined again with the latter named forcing another save from the Palace keeper.

A lovely touch from Andy Surman from Foley's pass fell into the path of Ebanks-Blake but he failed to spot the unmarked Henry to his left and shot over the bar from 25-yards out.

Whilst not at their best, Wolves deserved an equaliser and it arrived in the 37th minute. Zubar cleverly beat his marker and ran to the touchline before pulling the ball back to Foley whose cross was nodded down by Surman to Jones.

The midfielder didn't hesitate and he hooked the ball into the corner of the net from the 18-yard line.

Four minutes later Speroni dived to hold onto a 20-yard volley from Jones and then, in stoppage time of which there was six minutes, Vokes was way too high with a shot on the turn from just outside the box.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Palace 1

Palace regained the advantage in the 49th minute after Christophe Berra was penalised for a pull on Lee and from 25-yards, Ambrose found the net with a precision free-kick.

There was a chance for Surman on the edge of the box but he scuffed his shot and the ball trickled through to Speroni.

In the 63rd minute Wolves made a double change with Kevin Doyle replacing Ebanks-Blake and new boy Bia Mujangi taking the place of Surman.

And with his first touch Doyle almost levelled matters. Jones lifted a free-kick into the area and Doyle rose to send a header crashing against the underside of the bar.

Mancienne then went on an enterprising run before slipping a pass to Jones who fired narrowly over with a long range effort.

Stephen Ward replaced Elokobi for the final stages as Wolves began to pile on the pressure and Shaun Derry had to boot the ball over his own bar to try and relieve the pressure.

From the corner, taken by Jones, Vokes flicked the ball on to Berra at the far post but the defender hurried his shot which went high and wide.

From another Jones corner Zubar, at the back post, floated in a header which was cleared off the line by Derry.

But, Wolves, and Zubar, wouldn't be denied and an equaliser arrived in spectacular fashion six minutes from the end. Foley's cross from the left was met by Zubar on the volley and he scored with a tremendous effort that flashed past Speroni (pictured).

Almost immediately Derry tested Hennessey with a low shot from outside the area.

But Wolves were soon back sniffing for a late winner and Henry had a shot deflected to Speroni before Zubar fired over the far angle from the right of the Palace area.

In stoppage time Ambrose drove wide after being set up by Andrew, and Mujangi got underneath the ball and lifted it over after he met a cross from Foley.

Wolves: Hennessey, Zubar, Elokobi (Ward 72), Jones, Mancienne, Berra, Foley, Henry (capt), Ebanks-Blake (Doyle 63), Vokes, Surman (Mujangi 63).

Unused subs: Hahnemann, Craddock, Iwelumo, Milijaš.

Palace: Speroni, Lee (Andrew 79), N'Diaye, Danns, Derry (capt), Moses, Clyne, Davis (Lawrence 22), Ambrose, Ertl, Butterfield.

Unused subs: Djiali, Comley, Carle.

Referee: C. Foy.

Attendance: 14,449.

Liverpool Academy Under 18s 1 Wolves 2 (Landell 2)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.