Skip to main content


23:52 25th August 2009

Spot On

Wolves 0

Swindon Town 0

(After extra-time. Wolves won penalty shoot-out 6-5)

After 120 minutes of goalless football Wolves progressed to the third round of the Carling Cup after a 6-5 penalty shoot-out triumph over League One's Swindon Town.

The Wiltshire side hit the woodwork three times as they were spurred on by a large following but, in the end, skipper Gordon Greer smacked his penalty against a post after 11 successful kicks and it was the Molineux side that went through.

Mick McCarthy made 11 changes to his starting line up with three players, Marcus Hahnemann, Ronald Zubar and 17-year-old Academy scholar Nathaniel Mendez-Laing all making their debuts.

Some nifty footwork from Kevin Doyle almost led to Wolves taking a third minute advantage but after sprinting into the area he was inches wide of the far post with a low shot.

Mendez-Laing gave the crowd a glimpse of his skills with a run that took him past three defenders. He laid the ball off for George Elokobi who charged in from the left and hit a terrific shot that bounced behind off Kevin Amankwaah.

Just a minute later it was Mendez-Laing again - this time with a 20-yard shot that was arrowing for the top corner of the net until David Lucas pulled off a fine fingertip save.

In the 21st minute Mendez-Laing and Doyle combined to set up an opening for Neill Collins who took the ball to the edge of the box before hitting a shot that, although it had plenty of power behind it, went straight into the keeper's arms.

Two Anthony McNamee crosses from the right in quick succession caused problems for the home defence. The first flew dangerously through the six-yard box and then the next fell to Temitope Obadeyi who, from just two yards out, hit a first-time angled shot that went out for a throw in near the corner flag.

Mendez-Laing turned his marker in the box but failed to connect properly allowing Lucas to field the ball before McNamee clipped the top of Hahnemann's crossbar after he had cut into the Wanderers box.

A minute before the break Town thought they had taken the lead. Obadeyi hit a cross-shot from the right that struck the base of the far post. Billy Paynter tucked away the rebound but he was stood in an offside position.

In stoppage time Elokobi crossed to Sam Vokes who had his back to goal and lost possession as he tried to turn.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Town 0

The first chance of the second period fell to Obadeyi but his effort from the edge of the area went over the bar.

There was little else in the way of goalmouth action before Wolves made a double switch with Andy Keogh replacing Doyle and Matt Jarvis taking over from Mendez-Laing.

Almost immediately a Jarvis corner was headed powerfully over the bar by Collins and seconds later Keogh was only just off target from 25-yards.

Swindon substitute Mark Marshall hit the outside of the near post with a low cross although Hahnemann looked to have his goal covered.

After Dave Edwards had replaced Elokobi, Dave Jones drew a routine save from Lucas with a 20-yard drive after Keogh had helped on a Jarvis centre.

Vokes headed over following another Jarvis cross and, just after Paynter was booked for kicking the ball away, Keogh lobbed the ball inches over the bar after Lucas had closed him down as the pair went for Zubar's through ball.

In stoppage time Amankwaah was booked for tripping Jarvis and Keogh hooked wide of the far post.

Extra-time began with a fierce Edwards shot that was taken by Lucas, and Jarvis sent a bouncing shot the wrong side of the post.

For Swindon, Marshall headed wide after Lloyd Macklin had crossed and Keogh's angled drive was saved by the diving Lucas.

There were two bookings in the second period of extra-time - both of them for Wolves players. Zubar was harshly yellow carded for a midfield challenge and Hahnemann was cautioned after he tripped Alan O'Brien to the side of the home area.

But the deadlock couldn't be broken and the game went to penalties with Andy Surman successfully beginning the proceedings.

All six of the home takers, Surman, Jones, Edwards, Keogh, Vokes and Collins were on target and the first five Town men, Kennedy, Marshall, Easton, Macklin and Lucas also hit the mark.

But the defining moment came when Greer's shot beat Hahnemann but rebounded off the post.

Wolves: Hahnemann, Collins, Hill, Surman, Berra (capt), Zubar, Mendez-Laing (Jarvis 62), Jones, Doyle (Keogh 62), Vokes, Elokobi (Edwards 79).

Unused subs: Stearman, Henry, Ikeme, Spray.

Bookings: Zubar (108 - foul), Hahnemann (115 - foul).

Swindon: Lucas, Cuthbert, Douglas, Greer (capt), McGovern, Easton, McNamee (Marshall 56), Amankwaah, Kennedy, Paynter (O'Brien 111), Obadeyi (Macklin 68).

Unused subs: Timlin, Smith, Morrison, Thompson.

Bookings: Paynter (81 - kicking the ball away), Amankwaah (90 - foul).

Referee: K.D. Hill.

Attendance: 11,416.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.