Skip to main content


16:06 11th April 2010

A Derby Point

Wolves 0

Stoke City 0

Wolves took a point from their Staffordshire derby with Stoke after an industrious and passionate display in a game that produced little in the way of clear cut goal attempts.

Dave Edwards returned for his first senior action since December in place of the suspended Karl Henry in an otherwise unchanged Wolves team. Jody Craddock took over the captain's armband.

City kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and inside the first 30 seconds Dean Whitehead was appealing for a penalty after a Dave Jones challenge. But the midfielder looked to have won the ball.

Christophe Berra was penalised for a tackle on Dave Kitson but Glenn Whelan's free-kick drifted harmlessly over everyone's head and out for a goal-kick.

Rory Delap launched two of his trademark long-throws into the area and from the second the ball was headed out to Whelan who shot high over the bar from 20-yards.

In the sixth minute Matt Jarvis got a touch to Edwards' low cross but Thomas Sorensen was perfectly positioned at his near post to block with a defender completing the clearance.

Abdoulaye Faye headed well wide from another Delap throw but Whitehead was a lot closer with his header after a cross from Matthew Etherington.

Virtually all the pressing had come from the visitors but Wanderers were close following a low cross from Kevin Foley that Jones just failed to get a touch to before the ball went behind Doyle.

Stoke went close again in the 24th minute when Faye's header just cleared the bar after he had connected with Whelan's cross.

Craddock left the field with a cut head just before Wolves won their first corner of the game which was taken by Jones. Edwards ran in and glanced a header that forced a fine diving save from Sorensen.

Craddock returned with a bandaged head and he was soon in the thick of things as he headed clear some long through balls.

Foley and Jarvis both homed in a deep ball into the Stoke box but Robert Huth ran in to clear for a corner before either player could prosper.

Shortly before the break Jarvis ran onto a through ball from Jones and jinked his way past a challenge before having a shot blocked by Huth at close quarters.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Stoke 0

Michael Mancienne needed attention after had had landed badly from a challenge with Kitson, and then Craddock had to head clear from a congested six-yard box after Etherington crossed following a Delap throw that had only been partially cleared.

Jarvis ballooned a shot over the bar from 18-yards after a centre from Kevin Doyle before Mamady Sidibe missed a great chance for City when he shot over with only Marcus Hahnemann to beat.

Then it was the turn of Ronald Zubar to have a crack at Sorensen's goal after Edwards had chested the ball into the defender's path. He took a touch before hitting a shot that the Danish keeper saved comfortably.

On 56 minutes a lucky bounce of the ball set up Kitson but Mancienne raced across to clear as the Stoke man prepared to shoot.

Chris Iwelumo was Wolves first substitute of the afternoon when he came on for Edwards, and shortly afterwards Tuncay was sent on for Kitson when Tony Pulis decided on a change.

Some neat footwork from Doyle in the Stoke area ended when Huth conceded a corner, and then Sidibe had to be replaced when he pulled up in agony holding his leg with what looked to be a hamstring injury. Liam Lawrence took his place.

Craddock, who had gone up for a corner that was only half cleared, crossed from the left for Zubar to head into the arms of Simensen.

Whelan fired over the bar from long-range and after Nenad Milijaš had replaced Jones, it was Whelan once more, again from distance, with Hahnemann watching the ball all the way as it flew a foot over the bar.

In the 89th minute Foley was close to winning it for Wolves as he hooked a left-footed shot narrowly wide of the far post with Sorensen stranded.

In stoppage time Huth's tackle on Berra 25-yards out resulted in a free-kick that was taken by Milijaš. His effort went over the wall and straight to Sorensen although the power of the shot meant the keeper needed two attempts to hold the ball after it had bounced off his chest.

Wolves: Hahnemann, Zubar, Elokobi, Mancienne, Craddock (capt), Berra, Foley, Edwards (Iwelumo 59), Doyle, Jones (Milijaš 79), Jarvis.

Unused subs: Hennessey, Ebanks-Blake, Ward, Halford, Guedioura.

Stoke: Sorensen, Higginbotham, Huth, Whelan, Sidibe (Lawrence 72), Kitson (Tuncay 69), Whitehead, Collins, Delap, Faye (capt), Etherington.

Unused subs: Begovic, Pugh, Wilkinson, Lund, Moult.

Referee: C. Foy.

Attendance: 28,455.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 0 Manchester United 1

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.