Skip to main content


18:14 27th February 2010

'Wood' You Believe It For Unlucky Wolves

Bolton 1 (Knight 45)

Wolves 0

A goal in first-half stoppage time condemned unlucky Wolves to defeat against fellow relegation fighters Bolton. With Mick McCarthy's men hitting the inside of the post twice during the second period, few would argue that the visitors weren't worthy of a point. But it wasn't to be.

Wolves were unchanged for the third consecutive game as Bolton kicked-off attacking the end of the Reebok Stadium that housed almost 4,000 travelling fans.

Inside the first minute Kevin Doyle was fouled by Zat Knight to the left of the home area. Matt Jarvis touched the free-kick to Dave Jones but his centre was cleared.

Three Wolves corners in a chanceless opening 15 minutes were all cleared without too much difficulty by the home defence and when Marcus Hahnemann was tested he had easily saved a low shot from Chung-Yong Lee.

Lee then broke clear on a right but his attempted cross was both high and wide of the near post.

Jones chipped a shot over the far angle of Jussi Jaaskelainen's goal before Stuart Holden hammered a long range effort well wide at the other end.

But Hahnemann had to be at his best to beat away a 25th minute snapshot from Johan Elmander who was stationed just inside the Wolves area when the ball broke to him.

Three minutes later Bolton won their first corner off the game and almost took the lead from it after Stephen Ward had turned behind Holden's cross. Holden took the flag-kick himself and Hahnemann had to beat the ball away after Kevin Davies had latched onto Chrisophe Berra's half clearance and shot at goal.

Still the danger wasn't cleared and Almander looked on to score as he ran in on the loose ball but Jody Craddock threw himself in the way of Swede's drive.

Wolves responded with a fierce effort from Jarvis that Jaaskelainen was happy to turn behind at his near post.

Hahnemann was almost deceived by a Holden free-kick that bounced and was heading for the top corner until the keeper got his fingertips to it.

In the 42nd minute Craddock's near post header from a Jones corner had the home team struggling to clear their lines but it was Bolton that took the lead in the one minute of added time at the end of the half.

Gretar Steinsson's header from Jack Wilshere's corner looked to be going wide. But Lee kept the ball in play and beat Adlene Guedioura as he ran in along the by-line before crossing low to Knight who netted from two-yards out.

Half-Time: Bolton 1 Wolves 0

Seconds after the resumption loud home appeals for a penalty for hands against Ronald Zubar were waved aside and then a mistake by Karl Henry saw Fabrice Muamba breaking clear. He slipped the ball to Davies who fired straight at Hahnemann.

The next time that the ball went out of play, Henry went into the book for his attempt to pull back Muamba.

A great run by Doyle opened up the home defence but Sam Ricketts managed to clear before the woodwork came to Bolton's rescue in the 59th minute.

Paul Robinson fouled Jones some 25-yards out and when the midfielder took the free-kick his effort hit the inside of Jaaskelainen's left-hand post and rebounded behind the fortunate keeper rolling along the line before being cleared.

Midway through the half, Ricketts came to Bolton's rescue once more with another vital block - this time from Jarvis who had used his speed to good effect as he darted into the home area from wide on the left.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was a 68th minute replacement for Guedioura just before Wolves had another sign that this just wasn't going to be their day as Kevin Foley struck an angled shot that hit the inside of Jaaskelainen's other post. The ball rolled across the face of goal before being cleared.

Jarvis had another shot blocked after he had been set up by Doyle before Andy Keogh made his return to first team action when he came on for Foley in the 73rd minute.

Within seconds of his introduction, Keogh was booked for a late challenge on Robinson.

Bolton substitute Ivan Klasnic was wide with a first time shot after Wilshere had squared a pass to him.

But most of the play in the closing minutes was centered on the opposite end where Wolves were up against a massed home defence that withstood the pressure to take the spoils.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Robinson, Muamba, Elmander (Klasnic 65), Knight, Davies (capt), Steinsson, Ricketts, Holden, Lee (Weiss 90), Wilshere (Taylor 82).

Unused subs: Riga, Cohen, Habsi, O'Brien.

Wolves: Hahnemann, Zubar, Ward, Guedioura (Ebanks-Blake 68), Craddock, Berra, Foley (Keogh 73), Henry (capt), Doyle, Jones, Jarvis.

Unused subs: Hennessey, Elokobi, Vokes, Milkijaš, Mancienne.

Bookings: Henry (47 - foul), Keogh (73 - foul).

Referee: A. Marriner.

Attendance: 21,261.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 3 (Rooney, Spray, Gorman) Bolton 2

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.