Skip to main content


17:22 24th October 2009

Ebanks-Blake Spots A Point

Wolves 1 (Ebanks-Blake-pen 83)

Aston Villa 1 (Agbonlahor 79)

A Sylvan Ebanks-Blake penalty in the 83rd minute of a tightly contested derby game with Aston Villa gave Wolves a point shortly after Gabriel Agbonlahor had given the visitors the lead.

Mick McCarthy made just one change to the starting line up with Segundo Castillo coming in to replace Greg Halford who was named as a substitute.

Wolves kicked-off attacking the South Bank end and they could have been one down after just 40 seconds as Agbonlahor ran onto a long ball. But, with only Wayne Hennessey to beat, he side-footed tamely allowing the keeper to save.

Then the penalty woes for the home side continued as once again Wolves were denied a blatant penalty. Kevin Doyle was clearly held by Richard Dunne as he raced into the area and then contact appeared to be made as Doyle tried to get a shot in.

With the referee waving aside vehement appeals, Dave Edwards ran in and his shot was deflected behind by Brad Friedel's foot.

Kightly's corner was the first of three he took in the opening minutes but all were cleared.

In the 13th minute Christophe Berra was a yard wide with a glancing header after Karl Henry had supplied the centre, and Friedel claimed a Kightly free-kick after Edwards had been fouled by Stephen Warnock to the right of the Villa area.

There was a moment of danger for the home defence when Agbonlahor broke into the left of the Wanderers box but his low cross went behind Steve Sidwell who had raced in at the near post.

On the half-hour mark Ashley Young's overhit corner went behind on the far side but the grounded Hennessey was accidentally caught by Dunne who was stumbling backwards. The keeper had a cut on his eyelid but was able to continue after receiving attention.

Some tenacious work by Henry opened up the way for Ebanks-Blake to get in a shot that was deflected behind. Kightly's corner hit Doyle's back and bounced toward goal but James Milner was there to clear off the line.

Ebanks-Blake was too high with a close range overhead kick after Berra had nodded on a Kightly corner, and then the striker fired into the side netting from the edge of the box with Friedel at the post watching all the way.

Just before the break Hennessey did well to pluck a driven cross from Warnock out of the air.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Villa 0

Almost straight from the restart there was a good chance for Villa but the unmarked Sidwell failed to get any power behind his header which was cleared.

A good tackle by Jody Craddock prevented Carew from having a clear path to goal and when the Villa man regained possession he attempted an angled shot that went out for a throw in nearer the home dugout than the corner flag.

Young was a mile off target with an attempted lob before Carew went into the book after a late tackle on Ronald Zubar who was in the process of clearing the ball.

Warnock also saw yellow, for dissent after one of the linesmen had drawn the attention of the referee, and then Zubar was cautioned for an untidy challenge on Young.

Young drove narrowly wide from 20-yards after he had been fed by Agbonlahor and Dunne then got into the way of a goalbound shot from team-mate Sidwell.

With 15 minutes remaining Nenad Milijaš replaced Edwards. But the midfielder had only been on the field for four minutes when Villa took the lead which was set up by one of their own substitutes.

Emile Heskey, on for Carew, slotted a short pass to Agbonlahor who controlled before spinning round and shooting low into the net.

But it took Wolves just four minutes to get back on level terms and, to the surprise of all the home supporters given some of the decisions they have had to endure this season, it was from the spot.

Sidwell tripped Kightly and Ebanks-Blake scored his first of the campaign and his first in Premier League as he lashed the ball into the roof of the net.

In the 86th minute Halford and Chris Iwelumo were sent on for Kightly and Ebanks-Blake respectively.

Halford's long throws and two Milijaš corners tested the Villa defence in the four minutes of added time as Wolves finished the game strongly. But, at the end, the points were divided.

Wolves: Hennessey, Zubar, Elokobi, Edwards (Milijaš 76) , Craddock, Berra, Kightly (Halford 86), Henry (capt), Doyle, Ebanks-Blake (Iwelumo 86), Castillo.

Unused subs: Stearman, Keogh, Hahnemann, Jarvis.

Booking: Zubar (61 - foul).

Villa: Friedel, Sidwell, Dunne, Young, Milner, Carew (Heskey 71, Agbonlahor, Petrov (capt), Cuellar, Warnock, Collins.

Unused subs: Young, Delph, Reo-Coker, Guzan, Gardner, Clark.

Bookings: Carew (56 - foul), Warnock (60 - dissent).

Referee: P.Walton.

Attendance: 28,734.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 2 Manchester United 2

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.