Skip to main content


18:50 29th August 2009

Wolves Hit Back To Take A Point

Wolves 1 (Stearman 46)

Hull 1 (Giovanni 3)

After conceding an early goal Wolves battled back to take a point from their Molineux meeting with Hull City. Richard Stearman grabbed the leveller seconds after the interval and although they had the chances to win it, in the end Mick McCarthy's team had to be satisfied with a point.

It was all change again for the home starting line-up with only George Elokobi having started in the midweek Carling Cup tie against Swindon Town. In the City team was former Molineux midfielder Seyi Olofinjana.

Set to defend the South Bank end, Wolves made an awful start to the game falling behind after just three minutes. It all began brightly enough with a concerted attack from the kick-off ending with Matt Jarvis's shot in the Hull box being blocked.

Almost immediately City took the lead as Stephen Hunt cut in from the left to the by-line and is cross was headed in from two-yards out by Geovanni Gomez.

Jarvis had another effort blocked, by Michael Turner, and then, in the eighth minute, Steven Mouyokolo was booked for kicking the ball away after fouling Kevin Doyle. Greg Halford's free-kick was cleared.

Two corners from Nenad Milijaš proved to be fruitless and when Hull went forward again Michael Mancienne had to clear a dangerous cross from Kamel Ghilas.

A foul by Olofinjana on Doyle led to a free-kick but when Karl Henry floated the ball into the area, Andy Keogh's glancing header went wide.

Hull could have had a second with 19 minutes gone. Hunt's corner went through to Ghilas at the far post but Wayne Hennessey was perfectly positioned to gather the City man's powerful header.

Matt Jarvis used his speed in a run down the left flank before he delivered a low cross that was gathered by Keogh who turned and shot into the arms of Boaz Myhill.

City skipper Turner, who was having a fine game in visiting defence, headed away a Milijaš cross as Doyle lay in wait behind him.

Just before the break Keogh fired a shot into the side netting with Myhill keeping a watchful eye on the ball.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Hull 1

Just 42 seconds after the restart Wolves were on level terms after Mancienne had pumped a free-kick from the halfway line into the box. Jody Craddock nodded the ball on to Stearman who drove the ball into the roof of the net with the outside of his right foot (pictured).

Olofinjana, with a well timed tackle, denied Doyle a shooting opportunity and when Halford's long throw fell to Jarvis his cross was met by whose header lacked the power to trouble Myhill.

After two Milijaš corners Hull broke and a great piece of defensive work from Jarvis halted Giovanni's progress as he was about to run into Hennessey's area. Jarvis had sprinted from the Hull box the length of the field to thwart the Brazilian.

Myhill took a header from Keogh after a Jarvis cross and then Craddock headed over after a good piece of work from Stearman on the right wing.

Wolves should have been ahead in the 74th minute when Elokobi's through ball split the City defence as Keogh beat the offside trap. But with just Myhill to beat, and from an angle, the striker dragged the ball wide of the far post.

Five minutes later Turner rescued his side with a goal-line clearance. Giovanni fouled Stearman to the right of the area and when Milijaš floated over the free-kick, Craddock headed on to Doyle who beat Myhill only for Turner to block.

Stearman fired wide from the 18-yard line after he had latched onto a half clearance and, in stoppage time, substitute Sam Vokes missed the chance of scoring a dramatic winner.

The tireless Doyle floated an inch perfect pass into the path of Jarvis but Vokes, who had only been on the field for a matter of three minutes, misdirected his header wide from the winger's cross.

Wolves: Hennessey, Stearman, Elokobi, Milijaš, Mancienne, Craddock (capt), Halford, Henry, Doyle, Keogh (Vokes 89), Jarvis.

Unused subs: Edwards, Surman, Hahnemann, Jones, Berra, Zubar.

Hull: Myhill, Dawson, Turner (capt), Geovanni (Barmby 82), Hunt, Kilbane, Folan (Altimore 63), Mouyokolo, Ghilas (Fagan 73), Zayette, Olofinjana.

Unused subs: Halmosi, Boateng, Warner, Cooper.

Bookings: Mouyokolo (8 - kicking ball away after conceding free-kick), Dawson (81 - time-wasting).

Referee: S. Attwell.

Attendance: 27,906.

Southampton Under 18s 0 Wolves 1 (McAlindon)

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.