Skip to main content


18:30 18th March 2017

REPORT | Wolves' Capital Return

Fulham 1 (Odoi 54)

Wolves 3 (Cavaleiro 34, Weimann 47, Edwards 72)

Wolves recorded their third win in the space of eight days with a convincing 3-1 triumph over Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Paul Lambert made two changes to his starting line-up for the second visit to London in less than a week with Ben Marshall and Ivan Cavaleiro returning in place of Nouha Dicko and George Saville who were named as substitutes.

Fulham kicked-off attacking the Putney end of the ground that housed around 2,500 travelling supporters.

The early exchanges saw home keeper David Button cutting out a cross from Helder Costa and, for Fulham, a shot from Neeskens Kebano that was deflected behind for a Ryan Sessegnon corner that was cleared.

Cavaleiro’s short through ball to Costa carried a tad too much power allowing Button to claim before Fulham had a good chance of taking a seventh minute lead. Floyd Ayite ran into the area and laid the ball into the path of Kebano whose shot from ten-yards curled wide of the far post.

Andi Weimann ran onto Danny Batth’s long clearance and he teed the ball up for Costa to hit a low drive from the edge of the box that Button dived to save.

In the 22nd minute, Weimann raced away down the right and into the area before laying the ball back to Lee Evans who wasn’t far away from all of 30-yards.

Then Cavaleiro tried his luck with a cross-shot that flashed narrowly wide of the far post.

Costa was fouled to the right of the Fulham area and Marshall’s free-kick was booted clear after a brief scramble. Marshall soon figured again, this time with a low drive that was beaten down by Button before being cleared. 

Wolves had looked threatening and they took the lead in the 34th minute. Costa outmuscled Ryan Fredericks on the by-line and squared the ball to Cavaleiro who turned it into the net from the edge of the six yard box.

Fredericks tried to atone with an angled shot that was wide before two Wolves men went into the book in a two minute spell – Cavaleiro for a foul on Stefan Johansen and Evans for a late challenge on Tom Cairney.

Just before the break, Conor Coady tackled Sessegnon only for the ball to run through to Sone Aluko in the Wolves box and his low shot forced a smart save from Carl Ikeme

Half-Time: Fulham 0 Wolves 1

Former Molineux midfielder Kevin MacDonald was replaced by Gohi Cyriac at the start of the second half.

Wanderers made a strong start to the half and seconds after Costa’s on target shot bounced away off a defender, the visitors went two up, in the 47th minute. Weimann lashed the ball home with his left foot from just inside the area after a low cross from Coady.

Fulham made another change replacing Fredericks with Denis Odoi and just a minute after his introduction the defender cut the deficit with a 20-yard shot that flew into the corner of the net.

On the hour Button had to run yards out of his area to head the ball away to deny Weimann who would otherwise have been in the clear.

Dicko replaced Cavaleiro but before the striker could get involved Ikeme had to bravely dive at feet to smother a dangerous cross from Sessegnon. Then another Wolves change saw Romain Saiss taking the place of Marshall.

Wolves restored their two goal cushion in the 72nd minute with Costa using his skill and pace to get past Sessegnon to the by-line before hitting a short, low cross that was despatched by Dave Edwards from close quarters.

Aluko looked a certain scorer when he connected with a cross from Odoi deep inside the Wolves box but his fierce effort bounced off the chest of Ikeme before the danger was cleared.

Coady was yellow carded for taking his time with a throw-in and a final Wolves substitution saw Saville replacing Costa.

Just before the end, Fulham were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position 25-yards out but Aluko’s effort went straight into the arms of Ikeme.

Fulham could make little impression in the five minutes of added time as their eight match unbeaten run came to an end.

Fulham: Button, Fredericks (Odoi 53), MacDonald (Cyriac 45), Kebano, Cairney (capt), Ayite, Ream, Johansen, Aluko, Kalas, Sessegnon (Malone 80).

Unused subs: Bettinelli, Madl, Martin, De La Torre. 

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Coady, Edwards, Batth (capt), Hause, Costa (Saville 69), Evans, Weimann, Marshall (Saiss 68), Cavaleiro (Dicko 61).

Unused subs: Lonergan, Bodvarsson, Gibbs-White, Williamson.

Bookings: Cavaleiro (39 – foul), Evans (40 – foul), Coady (77 – time-wasting).

Referee: C. Kavanagh.

Attendance: 20,668.

Sunderland Academy Under 18s 0 Wolves 1 (Allan)


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.