Skip to main content


19:06 22nd February 2014

Bees Stung

Brentford 0

Wolves 3 (Henry 45+1, Jacobs 71, 85)

Wonderful Wolves leapt back into a promotion slot after demolishing Brentford’s unbeaten 19 game run on a heavily sanded pitch at Griffin Park. 

Kenny Jackett’s men were full value for their victory, their sixth in a row, and only goals scored denied them top spot in League One as the goal difference with frontrunners Leyton Orient is identical. The Molineux men, however, have two games in hand to the Londoners.

Wolves were unchanged for the visit to the League leaders. Dave Edwards returned from injury to take a place on the bench.

Wolves kicked-off attacking the end of the ground that housed the 1,600 supporters that had travelled south for the game.

The visitors made the early running although a nudge on Adam Foreshaw by Michael Jacobs presented George Saville with the chance of floating a free-kick over, from the right of the Wolves box, that was headed clear by Kevin McDonald.

It wasn’t until the ninth minute that Carl Ikeme got a touch of the ball and that was for a goal-kick after a wayward long range effort from Foreshaw.

Bakary Sako took exception to a challenge by Alan McCormack and both men were spoken to after an exchange of views.

David Button took the ball over the by-line as he took a low shot from Sako that was going wide but the keeper redeemed himself by punching clear James Henry’s corner.

Jack Price needed treatment after appearing to bang his head in an aerial challenge and shortly after play resumed Nouha Dicko hit a 25-yard drive that went straight to Button.

Wolves were awarded a free-kick following a challenge by Alan Judge near the right-hand corner of the Brentford box but Sako’s free-kick skidded through to Button at his near post.

In the 28th minute Wolves were close to breaking through as Dicko ran on to McDonald’s through ball. Button spotted the danger and was quickly off his line to block with Tony Craig completing the clearance.

A McCormack free-kick from the left of the area dropped to Foreshaw on the far side and Danny Batth was there to block the home skipper’s shot. It led to the first of two successive Marcello Trotta corners before the pressure was eased.

There was another brief spat when Henry obviously thought that Judge was making a meal of his challenge and after words were exchanged the referee booked the duo.

Ikeme dived to his right to turn away a 25-yard drive from Judge after Saville had tapped a free-kick into his path.

In the 45th minute Sako beat two men on a run into the box before slipping the ball to Henry who was about to shoot at goal from just eight yards out when Jonathan Douglas made a crucial intervention.

As the game drifted into stoppage time Wolves took the lead. McDonald took the ball to the by-line and pulled it back for Henry who floated a chipped cross over Button and into the far corner of the net (pictured).

Half-Time: Brentford 0 Wolves 1

Five minutes after the restart Henry was fouled by Douglas some 25-yards out and from the resultant free-kick Sako hit a fierce shot that bounced clear off the defensive wall.

The ball bounced wide on the left and when Henry went to gain possession he was fouled by McCormack. Henry’s free-kick went dangerously through the heart of the area and out of play beyond the far post.

From a Henry cross Batth looped a header over the bar and shortly afterwards Craig did likewise at the other end after a Judge corner.

With just over an hour gone there was a heart in mouth moment for the fans behind Ikeme’s goal as Saville’s shot took a massive deflection and drifted narrowly wide of the post.

Tensions were obviously running high and Trotta was yellow carded for his part in another brief melee. 

Midway through the half, Judge hit a cracking shot from distance that flew inches wide before play swept to the other end where Button saved Jacobs’ angled effort with his feet.

In the 71st minute, a burst of pace from Sako led to Wanderers going two up. The winger took the ball out of defence leaving his marker behind before laying a lovely pass into the path of Jacobs who kept his cool before shooting home past Button.

Edwards replaced Henry for the closing stages and then there was a chance for Dicko to make it three as he raced into the box with a defender either side of him and the keeper closing him down. But luck was against the striker who took an air shot after the ball hit a divot allowing Button to save.

Five minutes from time Jacobs put the icing on the cake as Scott Golbourne pulled the ball back from the by-line into his path. Jacobs who took a touch and steadied himself before beating Button from 20-yards.

Deep into stoppage time, Ikeme denied Douglas a consolation goal with a tremendous save. But the day belonged to Wolves.

Brentford: Button, Forshaw, Craig (capt), Dean, Douglas, Donaldson, McCormack, Saville (Grigg 87), Judge, Bidwell, Trotta.

Unused subs: Lee, O’Connor, Dallas, Reeves, Tarkowski, Yennaris.

Bookings:  Judge (39 – ungentlemanly conduct), 

Wolves: Ikeme, Golbourne, Ricketts (capt), McDonald (Davis 87), Batth, Stearman, Jacobs, Price, Dicko (McAlinden 85), Henry (Edwards 73), Sako. 

Unused subs: McCarey, Doherty, Davis, Evans, Ebanks-Landell.

Bookings: Henry (39 – ungentlemanly conduct), Trotta (39 – ungentlemanly conduct).

Attendance: 11,309 (1,600 away supporters).

Referee: I. Williamson.

Wolves Under 18s 0 Liverpool 1


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.