Skip to main content


17:50 16th February 2013

A Priceless Point From Pride Park

Derby County 0

Wolves 0

In a game of few chances, Wolves took a point from their trip to Derby County’s Pride Park with new loan signing Kaspars Gorkss making a confident and competent debut in the centre of defence alongside Danny Batth who put in a Man of the Match performance.

There were three changes to the Wolves starting line-up with new signing Gorkss coming in for Christophe Berra, Björn Sigurdarson for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Dave Edwards for Tongo Doumbia.

County kicked-off defending the end of Pride Park that housed around 2,000 travelling supporters and it was Wolves that made the early running.

In the third minute Jeff Hendrick cleared Batth’s header from in front of goal following Kevin Foley’s cross from the right. Then, when a Bakary Sako centre was headed out to Jamie O’Hara, the midfielder hit a 20-yard drive that forced Rams keeper Adam Legzdins into a full length diving save.

From the corner conceded, taken by Sako, the ball flew dangerously through the heart of the Derby goalmouth before drifting out on the far side for a goal kick.

The first goal attempt from Derby came in the 12th minute when Jamie Ward was well wide with a ground shot from 20-yards.

Wolves were close again in the 25th minute as Kevin Doyle just failed to get a touch on Sako’s cross before Karl Henry was shown the yellow card after a late challenge on Paul Coutts.

There was plenty of effort from both sides but it all seemed to break down in the area with clear cut chances at a premium.

Five minutes before the break Will Hughes was booked after catching Edwards and when Foley’s free-kick was half cleared as far as O’Hara he unleashed a stinging effort that wasn’t far away from the far post with Legzdins a spectator.

In stoppage time a low cross from Edwards was deflected away by the home defence.

Half-Time: Rams 0 Wolves 0

In the opening minutes of the new half Wolves were awarded a free-kick following Craig Bryson’s challenge on Edwards. Sako floated the free-kick into the box but Batth was too high with his shot on the turn.

Legzdins had to turn a low effort from Sako behind for a corner and, from Sako’s flag-kick, the ball was headed out to Edwards and his cross was half cleared to Stephen Ward who hit a first-time effort from 25-yards that flew narrowly wide.

O’Hara was cautioned after clipping Hughes and after Carl Ikeme had claimed a Jamie Ward free=kick, Wolves replaced the tireless Doyle with Ebanks-Blake.

Conor Sammon went close with a header following a cross from substitute Michael Jacobs before another Wolves switch saw David Davis taking the place of O’Hara.

Derby piled on the pressure in the closing stages and Gorkss did well to cut out a driven cross from Jacobs. But the Latvian defender conceded a free-kick following a challenge on Jeff Hendrick in the 90th minute but Jacobs’s free-kick drifted behind.

The four minutes of added time had elapsed when Batth was pulled up for a foul on Jacobs inside the ‘D’ of the Wolves box. To the relief of the Molineux supporters behind the goal, Ikeme got his body behind Jamie Ward’s free-kick that had flown through the wall. 

Rams: Legzdins, Brayford, Bryson, Keogh (capt), Coutts, Hendrick, J. Ward, Hughes (Jacobs 66), Hoganson, Freeman, Sammon.

Unused subs: Fielding, Robinson, Davies, Bennett, C. Doyle, Gjokaj.

Booking: Hughes (40 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, Ward, Henry (capt), Batth, Gorkss, Edwards (Peszko 89)j, O’Hara (Davis 74), Sigurdarsson, Doyle (Ebanks-Blake 70), Sako.

Unused subs: De Vries, Berra, Doherty, Cassidy.

Bookings: Henry (28 – foul), O’Hara (62 – foul).

Referee: G. Salisbury.

Attendance:  23,036.

Wolves Under 18s 1 (O’Neil) Liverpool 0


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.