Skip to main content

Young Guns Edged Out By Gunners


10:23 8th October 2013

Weaver looks back on narrow defeat

Arsenal 2 (Miyaichi 19, Lipman 73)

Wolves 1 (Jakobsson 45)


Wolves Under-21s recent unbeaten run came to an end last night, but not until they had pushed a talented Arsenal side all the way at the Emirates Stadium.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger was among the 2, 250 crowd as Steve Weaver’s team were narrowly edged out by an Arsenal side maintaining their own unbeaten record for the campaign so far.

After seven minutes David Moli found the net but he was offside and, seconds later, Tim Jakobsson’s free-kick was deflected just wide with keeper Damien Martinez stranded.

Anthony Jeffrey poked a shot wide with the first real attempt from the Gunners before they moved ahead in the 19th minute. Thomas Elsfeld’s corner wasn’t cleared and Ryo Miyaichi was on hand to shoot past Jon Flatt.

Dave Edwards almost levelled things with a shot from the edge of the box that wasn’t too far over before Jamie Tank cleared off the line from Ainsley Maitland-Niles after 34 minutes play.

Fortune was with the visitors when an Elsfeld drive took a massive deflection and the ball flew inches wide of the post with Flatt completely wrong footed. 

Just before the break Wolves drew level through Jakobsson, pictured centre, who headed home following a good cross from Kristian Kostrna.

Half-Time: Arsenal 1 Wolves 1

Five minutes after the restart Edwards went close again with a shot on the turn whilst, for Arsenal, Nico Yennaris wasted a good opportunity when he headed wide from a good position.

The Gunners went close again on 64 minutes as Jeffrey cut inside from the right only to direct his shot straight at Flatt.

But what turned out to be the winning goal arrived in the 73rd minute as Miyaichi threaded a pass through to substitute Austin Lipman who beat Flatt with a swerving shot.

Lipman almost added another in the closing stages but was denied by Flatt.

“It seems to have become a trait for us to come away from London with narrow defeats and last night was another one,” said Development Coach Steve Weaver.

“We started the game well and had some good chances as well as seeing a goal disallowed, which was the right decision.

“We know the quality Arsenal have and how they pass the ball well at all levels of the club and they were just coming into the match when they got their goal.

“That knocked us back a bit, and for 15 minutes up to half time we didn’t really take the game to them but then got a very good goal on half time when Kristian put in a great cross on the overlap and Tim scored with a fine diving header.

“Then in the second half there was very little in it to be honest, and even after Arsenal scored Flatty has made one save but we also had chances to try and get something.

“So we’ve ended up coming away disappointed to have lost the game.

“It was obviously still a very good experience for the lads to play at the Emirates in front of over 2,000.

“It’s how reserve games used to be where young players can play in big stadiums and it can only help them in their development.”

Wolves meanwhile are still awaiting international clearance on trio Albert Torras, Carlo Erdie and Bradley Reid due to the process being more extensive for Under-18 players.


Arsenal: Martinez, Bellerin, Ormond, Kamara, Ajayi, O’Connor, Maitland-Niles, Yennaris (Iwobi 66), Miyaichi, Eisfeld, Jeffrey (Lipman 66).

Unused subs: Iliev, Boateng, Smith.

Wolves: Flatt, Kostrna, Cranston, Jakobsson, Ihiekwe, Tank, Eusebio (O’Hanlon 76), Edwards, Moli (Keita 57), Whittall, Parry (Kellerman 66).

Unused subs: Dutton, Weeks.

Referee: S. Knapp.

Crowd: 2, 250.

    Related Articles